Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #41
15max

Default Re: The Ugly Green Thing ('35 Panel Delivery)

Well I rebuilt a later carburetor and tested it and the rebuilt starter and switch. All worked fine. I also found out the oil pump works well as I had put the oil filter gasket in crooked dumped a quart thru it onto the floor. I'll bet I'm not the only one who has done that. I was pleased that the fuel fittings are 1/2-20 as I can make ones with regular taps and dies. Using 1/2" rod I had to mash the end down to have enough material to file the flats for the hex. I'll check out fuel pumps today.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fttng1.jpg (66.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Fttng2.jpg (80.8 KB, 46 views)
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #42
APDAVE

Fantastic! Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #43
15max

I was pleased to find out that a gas tank I bought 25 years ago hoping I could make work actually was the correct tank for the panel. I will have do do some work to make the filler fit.
Before installing it I needed to straighten the rear frame member. It was bent and broken. I have a chunk of I-beam that works for that. I also coated the frame with some Por-15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35frm1.jpg (37.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 35frm2.jpg (44.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 35frm3.jpg (50.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #44
15max

I wanted to clean up a spare generator for the '35. It was reluctant to come apart. After soaking it with penetrating oil and then soaking it in water it was still stuck. I thought maybe a gentle nudge in the press might push the armature through the case. I used some steel and a socket for spacers and put some pressure on. With no results I finally put all 12 tons to it. Still no movement. I added a little pressure each day and finally used a longer jack handle. I expected a BANG! if it ever let loose, but didn't expect the armature shaft to penetrate the 1/8" steel into the socket. At this point the armature was showing some movement and did come out of it's shell. My next task is to remove the punctured plate from the shaft. The parts may clean up and work. Or not.
I thought some of you might enjoy this as it isn't that common at my shop.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35Genn.jpg (80.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #45
GB SISSON

That is amazing max! And no chips to clean up afterwards like when using a drill press! You and Mart have a way with re-using old stuff that many others would toss out. Good progress on the panel too!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #46
15max

My gear shift lever spring scummed to age and moisture. I'm sure I could buy a replacement or some spring that would work. Not wanting to leave the shop I thought I would see what I could devise. It surprised me how easy it a coil spring straightens out. The old spring was 1" O.D. I had an extension spring that was just a bit smaller wire diameter that the rusty one. I thought it would be easy to enlarge it's 9/16" O.D. to 1" buy pressing it down a mandrel. It was not having any of that. After a couple of hours of trying to twist and turn in a dozen different ways I decided it wasn't going to happen. But grabbing one end with the spring around a shaft in the vise I was able to pull it out of it's coil into a not straight but a 4" circle. Then I rewound it around a 3/4" shaft. I wrapped it tight and it rebounded to about 1". The coils were not evenly spaced but I could fiddle around bending them so they came close to being equal. I would guess the spring looses some of it's properties by stressing it that way but it has ample tension to do what it needs to do. I was pleased I had kept at it. I also had to straighten the gear shift lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Springg.jpg (68.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Shifter.jpg (77.2 KB, 27 views)