Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
roadster36
BANNED

Default The latest insult by the Calif. DMV

I received "notices to suspend" from the California Department of Motor Vehicles stating that the registrations on my vehicles will be suspended due to lack of insurance coverage. I have had the same carrier for almost 40 years and the policy is up to date. I sent the DMV paper copies of the coverage 2 times and still they refuse to recognize the policy. Now they have imposed fines and still have not addressed the issue. To make matters worse the DMV staff at field offices and call centers cannot provide vehicle insurance program service answers. So in effect you have no one to talk to in person. I have heard from others that this is a common problem in California with the huge number of unlicensed, undocumented, uninsured drivers. I found it amazing that while I was trying to get someone at the field office to answer my questions, at least 50 undocumented aliens came in, got their driver's licenses and left. California is driving out the folks that are paying the bills.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: The latest insult by the Calif. DMV

How about some help from your insurance agent or AAA if you have it.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Fibber Mcgee

Someone has to pay for the uninsured drivers. I believe it's a form of "income redistribution ".
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Mark's 37

I have four cars insured with State Farm and never have had a problem. State Farm agent automatically notifies the DMV via internet for me. I did have a misfire with the local DMV when transferring the title for the 37 into my name. They misspelled my first name so I had to make another appointment to have it re-done.
Mark's 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
mhsprecher

You might get in touch with one of your district representatives in the legislature for help.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
41Joe

I got that letter a couple weeks ago. I'm with AAA and I got it insured and registered on the same day. So I was confused why I got the letter. After looking at all the paperwork I realised that the agent had put my license plate number as the VIN for my car. So obviously the DMV didn't recognize it. I got it straightened out, I hope.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
Ross F-1

Happened to me once in NM, the DMV said only an insurance agent can straighten it out. It's a database that each agent has input to, DMV staff do not.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
You might get in touch with one of your district representatives in the legislature for help.
What he said. As a retired employee of another CA "alphabet" licensing/enforcement agency I can vouch for the effect that an inquiry from a legislator can have in resolving bureaucratic issues. Contact your local elected official's office and provide as whatever documentation you have and let them handle it. JMO
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
What he said. As a retired employee of another CA "alphabet" licensing/enforcement agency I can vouch for the effect that an inquiry from a legislator can have in resolving bureaucratic issues. Contact your local elected official's office and provide as whatever documentation you have and let them handle it. JMO
Been down that road and will never go there again. I was asked for a "campaign contribution", which I declined to furnish. I was then shown the door. This was a Congressman from California, my issue involved my son and the Army. Of course, I was still relatively young and naive to the way things got done in the real world.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
mhsprecher

Most elected representatives want to help constituents. It is how they get reelected. You may get asked for a contribution once you are on their mailing list, but there is no quid pro quo in my experience.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Most elected representatives want to help constituents. It is how they get reelected. You may get asked for a contribution once you are on their mailing list, but there is no quid pro quo in my experience.
You're saying it doesn't happen because it didn't happen to you. The request was made at a very inappropriate time, while I was laying out the facts of my son's treatment by the Army. Note if you will, the quotation marks around "campaign contribution"?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Damn, sure am glade that I live in Michigan, although part of our insurance premium goes into a state kiddy for uninsured drivers program. They''ll get ya every way they can.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Been down that road and will never go there again. I was asked for a "campaign contribution", which I declined to furnish. I was then shown the door. This was a Congressman from California, my issue involved my son and the Army. Of course, I was still relatively young and naive to the way things got done in the real world.
Trust me they are some elected officials that I wouldn't let walk my dog but i know many times over that when a request for assistance comes from an elected official its not just jump but how high? Usually its the field rep that handles everything and gets things straightened out. Luckily (or unluckily) in CA you have 2 elected officials, a state senator and a state assembly person so if one doesn't help try the other. I do however agree with the view about congress members. Way back when I had an issue with my discharge from the Army in the early '70's my local congressman did nothing to assist. But that isn't what this thread is about. Again, my advise is to enlist the asssistance of an elected official. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
wga

Roadster - these guys are in Marin County:

http://www.carsdmv.com/

Registration service.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Sounds like another example of too much bureaucracy. Sad situation when government is now the biggest 'employer'.

The best is yet to come. Will only get worse.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
TJ

The "dim bulbs" in Sacramento once sent me a notice that I had to have a smog certificate on a car that I brought in from out of state before they would register the car. I had to go to the highway patrol to get a verification that the car was too old to smog. Then when the registration issue on the certificate was resolved they sent me the new ownership certificate and the VIN number was wrong. Had to make a second trip to the highway patrol to get the correct VIN verified. Not all DMV employees are bad, but we do encounter more than our fair share of lame bureaucrats.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #17
richard crow

every body complains but they keep voteing them back in
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
corvette8n

Had a similar thing happen NYS, I took my car off the road on 12/1 turned in the plates and cancelled my insurance. I get a notice in the mail on 12/24 saying I drove 4 months without insurance so they suspended my drivers license. When I checked with the insurance company they had electronically cancelled it as of 8/1, I went to DMV with proof of coverage, but they said they could only accept electronic proof from insurance company, it took two try's with the insurance company to get it right.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #19
petehoovie

Politicians come and go. It's the unelected, overpaid, mindless, clock watching, mouth breathing, worthless, affirmative action, career bureaucrats who are to be feared.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #20
Rusty Junk Ranch

Dennis, your insurance carrier is supposed to notify the DMV. did you contact them ? I use Hagerty and have had no problem yet, and I have a few of them.