Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #1
mercman from oz

Default Texas Car Collection Crushed!

Texas Car Collection Crushed! 1930s to 1970s vintage cars & trucks scrapped! Ford, Lincoln, Chevrolet, Buick, Packard etc

https://youtu.be/1xyMJv6I_7M
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:31 PM   #2
58Yeoman

Default Re: Texas Car Collection Crushed!

I guess that makes all the surviving models of those cars worth more now. It was mentioned at the end of the video that the old man loved these cars so much that he built sheds for most of them. The old man just wanted them for bragging rights. How many of those cars could've been restored if he hadn't hoarded them away. Bet he didn't sell any when asked about them.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:12 AM   #3
Alaska Jim

I would have loved to have either of the '56 Fords
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #4
Ford blue blood

Can't save them all....I tried but the wife said not so much:<)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
Mlacombe

Such a bummer
Mlacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
JimNNN

I agree...what a shame. It was kind of hard to tell for sure, but they didn't look all that rusty in the pictures.

Could this be a sign that the love of old cars (even cool ones) is waning as boomers become old and unable to take on restorations? Or is there some other reason? As Bill said, there's only so much room to store vintage vehicles. I'm probably beyond my limit at three old Fords.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
paul2748

Typical hoarder result. Whether it parts or whole cars, these people hoard (so called "collectors" ) these cars and parts up until the day they die. Won't sell anything. Relatives don't want anything to do with them send the parts to the dump and whole cars to the crusher. I hate hoarders.

The other thing is they don't have any room for the cars, they sit out in the open and then rust away. The "I'll fix it up someday" guys are the same
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #8
58Yeoman

^^^ I agree about hoarders. ^^^

BTW, I burned an old roll top desk the other day. OOPS, maybe someone was looking for one? So what, who cares?
Old 02-01-2022, 12:21 AM   #9
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Yeoman View Post
^^^ I agree about hoarders. ^^^

BTW, I burned an old roll top desk the other day. OOPS, maybe someone was looking for one? So what, who cares?
I also agree. A late friend of mine was a hoarder. He had a few dozen NON-RUNNING VW Beetles rotting in a field (among many other things.) When he died his wife had to deal with all that stuff. I won't own ANY car that doesn't run and function decently as a vehicle.

Not all crushing is due to hoarders, though. There was a junk yard about 30 minutes away that had over 100 cars older than 1973. I was able to get parts for my Ranch Wagon at reasonable prices. The problem, however, was that this junk yard also had many, many thousands of old used tires stacked up in a structure, which was a violation of some environmental ordinance. The authorities closed the place down and crushed all the cars. So I guess the problem WAS hoarding, after all...tires.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:09 PM   #10
Grumpy Rick

Wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in this story's background there is a land developer.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #11
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in this story's background there is a land developer.

Good point, Rick. I hadn't thought of that.

As to Mercman's post, just think if the Texas guy (or his family) had placed something on eBay or CL for the intact non-stacked cars...

"Old cars for sale... $300 each...your choice....you haul it away." might've been a win/win scenario, though some still would've been lost. I can't imagine that Packard coupe not bringing $300. Even if it was only $200, the family could've got something from it.

Last edited by JimNNN; 02-17-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
58Yeoman

I've wondered about having to look for titles, which may be non-existent.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Yeoman View Post
Most states have a process for 'Lost Title'. They check your ID, you post a financial bond or something similar, have the vehicle inspected, the VIN is checked against stolen/missing vehicle lists... and if everything checks out they issue a title with an applicable VIN.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #14
JimNNN

Quote:
Quote:
Most states have a process for 'Lost Title'. They check your ID, you post a financial bond or something similar, have the vehicle inspected, the VIN is checked against stolen/missing vehicle lists... and if everything checks out they issue a title with an applicable VIN.
This can be a workable strategy for getting titles for non-titled cars, but remember that results may vary from state to state. I bought an antique motorcycle without a title, and in my state, that's a difficult thing to get around with the DMV. What dmsfrr mentioned is called a "bonded title" in my state, which is different than just a replacement for a lost title (in my state.)

A bonded title requires that the person who applied for the title with bond is responsible if the ownership of the car is ever challenged...even if that person is no longer the registered owner of the car. The good news is that it's only for a set number of year (can't remember how many.) My T-Bird has a title bonded by a previous owner, so it won't affect me if ownership is ever challenged. I've decided that I won't ever buy a title-less car if getting a bonded title is the only way to deal with it…at least in THIS state.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #15
mhsprecher

Sad. That was a lot for anyone to deal with. Maybe the family member who had to deal with it was angry and just wanted them gone or someone who didn't give a darn about the cars bought the place and wanted them gone? An auction likely would have been the best way to deal with a collection that large and even then a lot would have gone to the scrappers.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post
... What dmsfrr mentioned is called a "bonded title" in my state, which is different than just a replacement for a lost title (in my state.) ...
Yes, I typed in haste. Replacing a title that has gone missing from the owners possession is different than obtaining a title for a vehicle (or most of one) of unknown ownership.
They also have lots of rules for other vehicle ownership circumstances...

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-17-2022 at 09:34 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #17
1942deluxe

On my 1942 Deluxe coupe I bought I only had a bill of sale and the previous owner never had a title. I started the bonded title process when I lived in Iowa but never followed thru. Probably would've been less than $200 then. Fast forward 20 years I'm in Pennsylvania. Process is for attorney to do a national data base search and file for the court to make a declaratory judgement that the car is mine and direct Penn Dot to issue me a title. As we speak paperwork has gone to the state and total cost was around $1,200. That's the legal and correct way to do it in Pennsylvania.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:56 PM   #18
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Yes, I typed in haste. Replacing a title that has gone missing from the owners possession is different than obtaining a title for a vehicle (or most of one) of unknown ownership.
They also have lots of rules for other vehicle ownership circumstances...

I'm actually appreciative of your post. It got me to go downstairs and check the dates on my T-Bird title. I then went to the DMV website to see what the time requirements are. It turns out it's only three years in Nebraska, which had passed since I bought the car, so I hurried down to the DMV before they closed yesterday and got the "bonded" status taken off my title.

I should mention again, there was no real legal reason to do so. No present or future owners of the car will ever be affected by any challenge to ownership. It'll just keep any potential buyers from being scared off by the word "bonded" on the title. Cost: about 15 bucks.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #19
58Yeoman

I bought a VW Karmann Ghia from a woman who didn't have the title, but did have the name of the person who owned the car. I contacted her, and she said she didn't want the car, but didn't have the title. I applied to the state for a "duplicate" title, which meant that the original owner could come and get the car, if so desired. Never happened. The title went normal when the car was sold. This was late 70's, early 80's, I don't remember.

That was one title. Now, what would you do with a hundred or so cars sitting on your property, with maybe none of the titles anywhere in sight? Can you imagine the time and expense of getting bonded titles?

There was a salvage yard south of me a few miles, where the cars were scattered all through the trees and hills. The owner was a bit sketchy, where he was selling cars w/o titles, or maybe even buying them w/o titles. The state shut him down, and crushed all his cars, save for maybe 50 or so that he may have had the title to. I was sorry to see it closed, he had a lot of neat old cars there. Just sayin'.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #20
evintho

Cool Re: Texas Car Collection Crushed!

I bought my '54 Ford here in California (where DMV is a nightmare) with no title or paperwork, at all. All I had was a 'bill of sale'. Last registered in '74. I expected to jump through a myriad of hoops. Thought I'd give a registration service at try. Everything was done by email and one phone call. Sent her a photo of the data plate with VIN and a copy of the 'bill of sale'. Cut a check for $400. $275 was her fee, $125 was DMV charges. 2 weeks later I received a packet in the mail with new plates (only if I wanted to use them), title in my name with original plate #s, registration and tags for that year and a filed non-op certificate so there'd never be any other fees until I was ready to place the car on the road. And all this in California!! Professional registration services are the way too go!!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1645219111
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA160002.jpg (67.3 KB, 40 views)
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote