Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
Dave Castle

Default Is this a good deal ?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 54 F100, 223 engine, 3 speed on the column, heater/defroster, still 6 volt. Short bed, original paint, 36,000 original miles, runs fine, needs little things like wipers & carb. rebuilt. Has new brakes & new radial tires, 13,000, is a good deal ? Absolutely no rust, still has orig. wood in bed.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Is this a good deal ?

I'm not a truck guy or know what the market is for one so that seriously colors my opinion.
I'd want to see a bunch of pictures of it looking really good before considering a price even half that high, esp without being able to see it in person. Maybe I'm just way out of touch with what they go for.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman

If you have been looking for this vehicle for a long time and this is the best one you have found for the buck, then it is a good deal for you. No one can make that decision for you. Good luck with your endeavors!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
JimNNN

Genuine original cars and pickups are becoming a very desirable thing. The problem is there's vast array of conditions of these original paint, original interior and original non-rebuilt engine vehicles. Not always discernible just from mileage. I bought my verified 61,000 original mile 2 door '54 Ranch Wagon many years ago, and while it was in more or less impressive mechanical condition, cosmetically it didn't look all that different from a car with way over 100,000 miles on it. Interior was essentially trashed because of leaky windows and poor storage. A picture really is worth 1000...or maybe even 10,000...words.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Ford blue blood

Only you can make that determination. The level of work you are able to perform vs what you'll have to hire out, any emotional attachment to the particular vehicle, is it an investment or just an "I want" thing.

Bottom line, one mans junk is another mans treasure. Value is strictly personal, if it makes you happy go for it. Never buy a vehicle wondering if you'll get your money back. If that is an issue look for a different hobby.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Hot Rod Reverend

no, it's not. 13K for something that needs a carb rebuilt... my concern would be if it has that much neglect what else is hiding out?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
ahshoe

Way too much. I paid way less than half that for my running '56 F100. It did have a very small area (floor) rust that was a very easy fix as all these parts are available and do fit well.Keep looking in my opinion but it is your money. I would move on...They ARE out there.The extra parts I got with it funded all my smaller parts I wanted for it.
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Ford56

It does seem a little high, but, it could actually be a lot high, depending on the condition. Assuming that all it needed was a couple of "little" things, like wipers and carb rebuild, and the paint is fine, and everything else works, then around $10k would be in the ballpark. But, that is a lot of assumptions on my part. A couple of pix would go a long way to help make a judgement.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
bobss396

$10k sounds more like it, providing it doesn't have hidden problems. The no-rust thing is very attractive, rust repair is time consuming and expensive if you have someone fix it.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
38coop

If it feels right go ahead. I don't know how old you are , but at some point it is easier to buy what you want rather than try to build it.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote