Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #1
cretin

Default Pistons for 21 stud

I have a '37 21 stud that I am putting together for a budget project. Unfortunately, it has turned out that the engine has needed a bit more work then I had hoped for, but thats how life goes sometimes. I'm keeping the engine pretty stock, only putting dual carbs on it, and most likely some headers, but stock heads, cam, valves, crank, and rods.
During disassembly, I found that the pistons were already .030 over, and I'm going to have to go to .060 over.
Keeping in mind that I'm already deeper in this budget build then I hoped for, what is my best option for pistons?

I obviously want to keep costs down, but not so much that I'm putting in crap parts. I've dealt with flatheads before, but this is my first flathead rebuild, so I'm hoping someone with more experience can give me a good recommendation.

Thanks in advance for your time.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Pistons for 21 stud

I'd do some checking around - with a variety of suppliers . . . see what a set of pistons and rings will cost yah. I'd probably talk to Red's Headers, VanPelt Sales, Egge Machine, Speedway and whomever else you like. Hopefully you can get a set of cast pistons and rings for somewhere in the $200's.

Good luck and we ALL feel for you on the costs being more than estimated --- probably happens to just about every last one of us! Hell, if we knew the total costs/time involved, we'd probably not even start half the projects we get into. LOL!

Just do the job right, take your time and ensure that quality is always a goal - you'll be glad you did.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Ol' Ron

Use a set of 59 or 8BA std bore pistons. The 37 will take the overbore with no problem
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
cretin

Thanks Ron. I was wondering if I could use later Pistons, but wasn't sure if they fit on the earlier rods.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

'37 uses dome type chambers, and so you can use 221 or 239 later pistons. Since you're already over budget, sell a kidney and ask Ron about how to put a 4" crank in there as well...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
'37 uses dome type chambers, and so you can use 221 or 239 later pistons. Since you're already over budget, sell a kidney and ask Ron about how to put a 4" crank in there as well...
Don't give me any ideas! I'm already debating putting a cam in since I'm over budget.