Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
bluestem

Default Need Info from Indiana

I sold a 1935 ford to an individual in Indiana without a title with ONLY a Bill of Sale. It was a 'windbreak' car and needs major restoration. The vehicle is mainly only the body/frame/engine and is not road worthy at this time.

He is now having trouble getting the vehicle titled in Indiana. Has anyone gone through the titling process in Indiana that can give us information? The Indiana Bureau Motor Vehicles has a process for an 'Affidavit for ownership Title Application' for vehicles less than $5,000. The also have an applicaiton for a Salvage Title. Which would be best?? Has anyone had experience in titling 'bill of sale' vehicles??

Thanks,
Chuck
bluestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: Need Info from Indiana

It sure sounds like the Salvage Title might be the way to go. I'd suggest that the buyer visit his local Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch, tell them what he wants to do and get their advice. Failing that, if he knows any State or local Police Officer he could ask them.

Personally, I've never done anything but transfer titles. Don't know if I can help your buyer or what part of the state he's in but I'm willing to try.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
1937pickup

I went through this issue in Minnesota-not fun. I had to supply a three year bond to the state and got a bonded title. The car came from Georgia on a bill of sale, that is how Georgia handles cars of a certain age. Having said that I would not get a salvage title-it will always be marked salvage which can turn people off. Can you get a title for it in South Dakota? How close to Illionois does he live? Illionois is easier to get a title with a bill of sale-then get a title in Indiana. I concidered doing this when I had a problem.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
bluestem

Thanks for the responses. He is meeting with an officer today. The salvage title may be the way to go, although the Affidavit title may look better when you try to resell. Actually the car is 'salvaged' out of a tree belt; pretty typical of farmers in years past to park it in a tree belt or pasture when they were done with a car. This was where andy still is many of the old cars come from. Fellow in Nebraska is selling a whole 'pasture' full of them on craigslist. So in a way it is salvaged. Body was actually pretty good, engine was seized. I can't title it in SD now as I sold the car and it is in Indiana. But looking back, maybe I should have tried? I know some States don't require titles on cars past a certain age. I will post the results of his meeting with an officer. I emailed the Indiana BMV for guidance, so maybe they will give me hope. I just thought maybe someone went through this before. THANKS -- Chuck
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Slick Steve

I have titled many old cars in Indiana. You need a bill of sale, a form from the DMV saying how much you paid for it (so you can pay them sales tax), then a police officer needs to do a VIN check to make sure it is not stolen. Once all of the paperwork is complete, take it to the DMV and the should be no problem. Even older cars with no VIN, is no problem. They just use the body number. Never had any issue.

Check out my blog on my Flathead project!
http://myav8.blogspot.com/
Slick Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Steve View Post
I have titled many old cars in Indiana. You need a bill of sale, a form from the DMV saying how much you paid for it (so you can pay them sales tax), then a police officer needs to do a VIN check to make sure it is not stolen. Once all of the paperwork is complete, take it to the DMV and the should be no problem. Even older cars with no VIN, is no problem. They just use the body number. Never had any issue.
Ditto ! Pretty easy state after seeing what other states go thru....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Capn John

Make sure to get a VIN so the dates match the serial number!!!!
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
I went through this issue in Minnesota-not fun. I had to supply a three year bond to the state and got a bonded title. The car came from Georgia on a bill of sale, that is how Georgia handles cars of a certain age. Having said that I would not get a salvage title-it will always be marked salvage which can turn people off. Can you get a title for it in South Dakota? How close to Illionois does he live? Illionois is easier to get a title with a bill of sale-then get a title in Indiana. I concidered doing this when I had a problem.
I have tried to get a title in Illinois this way and it is a pain in the A**, actually the folks at the DVM won't even help me. What did you do to make this process easier in Illinois?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
IL41Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I have tried to get a title in Illinois this way and it is a pain in the A**, actually the folks at the DVM won't even help me. What did you do to make this process easier in Illinois?
Seth, I also live in Illinois and bought a car from Georgia with a Bill Of Sale Only. The Lady at the local DMV looked it up to confirm Georgia was a Bill of Sale Only State, and issued me an Illinois Title with no problem. She was very helpful with it. I think she had a reference book on the back counter listing different state requirements. I also had a copy of the current GA registration from the seller, so that could be the difference

Last edited by IL41Flat; 11-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
IL41Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Humm, then I must have a problem with the local DMV employees not wanting to do a little research. Seems like if its not a license renewal or driving test they don't want any part of it. They wanted me to get a bonded title and told me they can not do a VIN number look up.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
bluestem

Here is the response I got from BMV:

Dear Customer,

In order to title this vehicle you can use the Bill of Sale, have a police officer inspect the vehicle and complete the form at
https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=4998 and complete a salvage title application (http://www.in.gov/bmv/2661.htm).

Sincerely,
BMV Response Team

So thanks for all your replies, especially the people from Indiana, as it seems to appear fairly easy in Indiana.

Thanks, I will forward your replies to the buyer. He will be happy to hear this.

Chuck