Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #101
35fordtn

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

. I pay income taxes on eBay sales every year and can understand why, however I am a business not a individual. eBay in my opinion is not after us guys selling car parts, they are after the guys selling new TV’s, floor mats, and everything else under the sun that had previously been doing so tax free.

It would be unfair to most for a person like me whom at one time made my full living through eBay tax free. That time did exist and it was unfair, thus I don’t complain about currently having to pay a income tax.

I can see the side of the argument that when selling a used product you shouldn’t be taxed again on it, however used cars are taxed as is anything at a pawn shop if you live anywhere with a state sales tax.

As for where the taxes collected gets spent as asked above, that topic would become WAY too political to get into on here in my opinion.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #102
34 GAZ

I had,nt sold anything on Ebay for quite a while until about 2 months ago. Then on a whim i posted a nice 1934 style Citroen grille on Ebay U.S.A. End price was much higher than i would ever get here but i was hit for about $55 sales tax. ( did ebay scam me ) Did,nt know that the buyer would also get hit. Anyway i still came out ahead but it sure is a bad taste in the mouth. BTW i don,t buy any parts on Ebay if the seller uses the Pittney Bowes global shipping scheme. Thats a money trap for overseas buyers as well.
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #103
Frank Miller

I was speaking with a gentleman from Belgium last week and he told me that there stuff is not taxed more than once. He also said prices on items in the store reflect the sales tax so you don't see a higher amount at the register.
In Massachusetts you pay the sales tax at the registry when you title the car. It may be a bit different but unless you bought from a dealer they figure how much you paid based on blue book value. Believe it or not some people would write a bill of sale for less than what was actually paid. Also you have like a week to title the vehicle and pay the sales tax. I know it's going to take you 3 years to get t roadworthy but they do not care. You have to pay it now.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #104
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
..... Also you have like a week to title the vehicle and pay the sales tax. I know it's going to take you 3 years to get t roadworthy but they do not care. You have to pay it now.
This is not necessarily a bad thing. It beats spending 3 years of your time and an attendant amount of money just to find you can't get a title. It used to be a common topic on the "H.A.M.B.".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #105
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 GAZ View Post
I had,nt sold anything on Ebay for quite a while until about 2 months ago. Then on a whim i posted a nice 1934 style Citroen grille on Ebay U.S.A. End price was much higher than i would ever get here but i was hit for about $55 sales tax. ( did ebay scam me ) Did,nt know that the buyer would also get hit. Anyway i still came out ahead but it sure is a bad taste in the mouth. BTW i don,t buy any parts on Ebay if the seller uses the Pittney Bowes global shipping scheme. Thats a money trap for overseas buyers as well.
Are you sure the $55 was tax, and not the eBay fees? And yes the GSP (global shipping program) is a joke. Most sellers sign up for it do to the ease, but you guys on the other end really get taken on the GSP
Old 11-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #106
34 GAZ

^^^^^^ It was sales tax, i went and read all the small letters and they have it covered real good. With the fees on top of everything including PayPal the fun is gone. Back to local swapmeets and PreWarCar for selling in Europe.
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #107
35fordtn

Quote:
^^^^^^ It was sales tax, i went and read all the small letters and they have it covered real good. With the fees on top of everything including PayPal the fun is gone. Back to local swapmeets and PreWarCar for selling in Europe.
Thats quite odd... Usually only the buyer pays the sales tax.. PayPal sometimes charges a "exchange rate" fee if you are selling on another countries site but not near to that amount..

Always for us, the BUYER pays the sales tax and while we can see it on our end, we are not charged it.

strange.....
Old 11-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #108
Tinker

it's been a few yrs but ebay only charged me a monthly charge or items sold in that month. Percentage/commission. Been a while i guess.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #109
redmodelt

If you only sell then there are only the charges for the items sold, how ever, if you have an Ebay store then there is a monthly charge.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #110
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
If you only sell then there are only the charges for the items sold, however, if you have an Ebay store then there is a monthly charge.

not true, in my experience. The sold items tally to the month. like any consignment. Agee No charge beyond regular sales.

I appreciate the site. World junk/gem yard.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #111
paul2748

Maybe something to do with the Netherlands tax code. Is the Netherlands in the EU? Lot of European countries had a Value Added Tax - not sure how the EU laws changed that.

Quote:
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #112
skidmarks

I sold a part to a person in Pennsylvania. The paypal shows " sales tax collected by Ebay ". Looks like they taxed them for the sale and the $10 I charged them to ship it.
Should the tax be for just the part?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #113
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
I sold a part to a person in Pennsylvania. The paypal shows " sales tax collected by Ebay ". Looks like they taxed them for the sale and the $10 I charged them to ship it.
Should the tax be for just the part?
It depends on the State and what is included in their sales tax.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #114
35fordtn

Exactly what J Franklin said. Some states impose sales tax on purchased item only and some include the shipping.

There is a much dreaded and anticipated ebay fee increase coming mid year 2020 as rumor has it. I would presume this being due to the personnel eBay has had to hire to handle this sales tax fiasco.

I am fortunately/unfortunately a part of ebays “seller development program” for the eBay motors portion. I randomly here rumors from other higher up the food chain sellers of rumors that they have heard from there perspective eBay consultant.

Only time will tell I guess...

One has to give eBay credit though for taking control and handling the sellers tax implications on their end. In a technical sense though when you buy a item off eBay you are essentially purchasing it through eBay and the seller is simply the “drop shipper” and “question answering person”.