Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default What a great start to a top notch resto.

Heck, I wish cars like this turned up here occasionally. This one is so straight that it deserves the best resto but I'd love to just repair (not restore) and drive a car that looks like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...m=391222440225
Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
davehc

Default Re: What a great start to a top notch resto.

Synchro909 , I agree that would be perfect to drive like it is on the outside , LOVE that patina on it . Would like to have a heater like it has inside , seems strange for a Reno car though . Thanks for posting .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

add me to the apply butcher wax, get it so it starts and stops, add a top to the roof, and horse blanket seat covers and have at it.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

The gas tank is going to need more than a butcher wax job. Something ate out the top for the tank really bad. I have never seen one so terrible. It is amazing that there is enough of a gas tank left to hold the gas cap on. The rest of the car looks solid though.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
The gas tank is going to need more than a butcher wax job. Something ate out the top for the tank really bad. I have never seen one so terrible. It is amazing that there is enough of a gas tank left to hold the gas cap on. The rest of the car looks solid though.
I confess, I did not look at all the pictures!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Gold Digger

Never saw a gas tank rusted out at the top like that before, always the bottom first. Not saying its not also. A real straight old car.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

What is the attraction to driving something like that? It has been my experiences when the exterior is all 'battle worn', -then usually the drivetrain is too. That is likely why they are saying it is ready for a Resto. On the other hand, experience a 30k-40k mile unmolested Model-A that has patina and a safe/reliable running gear and you will find a joyful ride!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
31Tudor

Maybe I scrolled down to fast on the pictures, but interesting how there is about 50 pictures, but none of the engine compartment?
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I didn't count the pictures, but there must have been about 200 pictures to show what could have been done with 20 pictures. Engine pictures at the end.
I agree that this car needs to be fully restored, and I'd just buy one already done for less money than this will cost to restore.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
stouchton

I personally don't think it is patina on that car - looks more like an applied paint or primer.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
holdover

Not for me at the price it is heading to. I looked at all the pics and it would turn out to be an expensive restoration, even to preserve the patina. With the rust I see on the bottom panels and fuel tank, frame etc a quick paste wax is less than it needs. Did enjoy looking at the old paint brush job. I remember back in the 50s when a lot of them were painted that way. As to me I like to see them with less patina and more like the way they were when they were close to new, not fine point, but just nice. Your mileage may vary. And I am sure someone would buy it, wonder what the reserve is? BTW, did you see all the other cars he has for sale?
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
Mark W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
I personally don't think it is patina on that car - looks more like an applied paint or primer.
I agree - which would explain the gas tank rust - it sat on a stone wall up-side-down for a LONG time
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

To each his own, just not my type of investment or even close to a driver. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
Not for me at the price it is heading to. I looked at all the pics and it would turn out to be an expensive restoration, even to preserve the patina. With the rust I see on the bottom panels and fuel tank, frame etc a quick paste wax is less than it needs. Did enjoy looking at the old paint brush job. I remember back in the 50s when a lot of them were painted that way. As to me I like to see them with less patina and more like the way they were when they were close to new, not fine point, but just nice. Your mileage may vary. And I am sure someone would buy it, wonder what the reserve is? BTW, did you see all the other cars he has for sale?
ANYONE remember "POWDER PUFF PAINT"??
Bill W.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
Keith True

Judging by the outside that is considered a rust free car where I am.(I'm actually just a few miles from that car)i know what I would sell that car for,and it would most likely go to a rodder.I sold a 29 coupe a few years ago in what looks to be the same condition,it went to a man that wanted it for a rod.I got $8000.for it,I don't think any A guys offered over $3500.for it.The A guys that looked at it all tried to use different things as"negotiating points"when they looked at it.$3000.for an engine,$3000.for an interior,$5000.for paint,they wanted me to subtract all that from the price.The rod guys showed up,paid up,and hauled it off.It doesn't happen fast though,if you want real money for an A you have to take your time,show it to EVERYBODY that wants to see it,and be polite.Some of the idiots have friends that spend money.I sold an A roadster for somebody years ago that I showed to 64 people over a years time.That's not as bad as it sounds,I work here in the garage and when somebody wants to look I just point them at the garage the car is in.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #16
Russell in Tulsa

But guys, it has a hot water heater, rubber brake and clutch pads, a custom shift knob and the description says "carpet, floor mats, interior, seats are in fair condition" . What else do you want?
They also say to call them and they will tell you the Reserve.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
colin1928

Give the seller his due with all those photos he is not hiding anything

Last edited by colin1928; 08-12-2015 at 04:19 AM.
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote