Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
rockfla

Default 39 Mercury knb replacements

Anyone replaced the choke knob on a 39 Mercury and if so how were you successful doing so OR what method did you use??
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: 39 Mercury knb replacements

Recently we at NVRG96 we had a super presentation form Keith Lee of KnobSoup. He makes plastic and rubber small parts like knobs, taillight lenses, door knobs steering wheels an much more. He started with prewar Lincoln parts and has expanded on much more. His profession talk covers the mold process, material prop and detail work. Fascinating story. This make a great monthly meeting talk. I was very impressed with his skills. Several members asked if he could do this or that part which tells me how welcome his skills are in our hobby. He did mention that he was looking for a ‘40 horn button to repro: well who has one of those… Well I just happen to have the button with the 40 Merc attached to it. Within two weeks he made a repro of the horn button. He obviously loves a challenge so if you have the need for the taillight for a 1928 Gedoink eV-7 or some such, contact Keith. >[email protected]>
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Recently we at NVRG96 we had a super presentation form Keith Lee of KnobSoup. He makes plastic and rubber small parts like knobs, taillight lenses, door knobs steering wheels an much more. He started with prewar Lincoln parts and has expanded on much more. His profession talk covers the mold process, material prop and detail work. Fascinating story. This make a great monthly meeting talk. I was very impressed with his skills. Several members asked if he could do this or that part which tells me how welcome his skills are in our hobby. He did mention that he was looking for a ‘40 horn button to repro: well who has one of those… Well I just happen to have the button with the 40 Merc attached to it. Within two weeks he made a repro of the horn button. He obviously loves a challenge so if you have the need for the taillight for a 1928 Gedoink eV-7 or some such, contact Keith. >[email protected]>
Clem
thanks for your response, I guess I should have been more clear. The reproduction knobs are available for the 39 Merc......I wonder just how they are to be "re-installed" and if or just how its done???? Thanks for taking time to share your information....I too have a very good friend who does the same kind of work you have outlined.....David is also a "master" at what he does as shown by his cadillac horn button of which is "hens teeth" as well as our 32 dash knobs in "German".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (2).jpg (47.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (32.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg caddybutton.jpg (39.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 32 choke knob.jpg (33.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
rotorwrench

It would have to be a tight fit press on or tight fit with epoxy adhesive. The only other alternative would be modification for a threaded grub screw. I've done this with plastic parts before with mixed results. I used the smallest set screw (grub screw) I could find then tapped & threaded the plastic. I files a small notch in the shaft to mate with the set screw location. Tight fit is still a good idea or at least as tight as practicable. Pinning it with a very small roll pin would also be an option but likely more noticeable and difficult to drill.

Dennis Carpenter started his business by fabricating knobs for old cars. I don't know if he would offer you any advice or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It would have to be a tight fit press on or tight fit with epoxy adhesive. The only other alternative would be modification for a threaded grub screw. I've done this with plastic parts before with mixed results. I used the smallest set screw (grub screw) I could find then tapped & threaded the plastic. I files a small notch in the shaft to mate with the set screw location. Tight fit is still a good idea or at least as tight as practicable. Pinning it with a very small roll pin would also be an option but likely more noticeable and difficult to drill.

Dennis Carpenter started his business by fabricating knobs for old cars. I don't know if he would offer you any advice or not.
The repro knobs already have the slot cut in them to slide over the end of the choke rod but I'll have to do a really close inspection of the end and see IF there is a way to use some sort of small machine screw and washer to clamp to the existing rod. I would "think" that 39/40 Fords would have "similar" installations and "someone" from that camp would have a suggestion???? I just went and looked at DC set and his has an flat rod already attached to the choke knob which I do not have (I have just a knob) so I will do a closer examination on it and "regroup". Thanks for the effort and help!!

Last edited by rockfla; 12-10-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Clem Clement

I don't know who made the repop knobs for my 40MERC, but 2 knobs came loose. I used JB weld and the technique of pulling the knob on an angle to help keep the knob in place.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
I don't know who made the repop knobs for my 40MERC, but 2 knobs came loose. I used JB weld and the technique of pulling the knob on an angle to help keep the knob in place.
I don't know what my dad "tried" to use on the choke knob BUT as it gets used every time you start the car it didn't last a moonlit night!!! Plus the choke cable is a little tight so that doesn't help the situation either.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Clem Clement

Rub a rag soaked in light oil along the cable. Work the oil in. The cable will loosen up.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I'd forgotten about the style of the 38 & 39 type dash & knobs. The flat blade type could be pinned through the side but it would be more noticeable. A person could drill and pin from one side but the knob would have to be destroyed to get it off. Find a paint that would closely match the knob color & touch up the drilled hole.

Carpenter's price at $12 would be cheap compared to labor but your own labor may be more appropriate if you choose.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote