Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Corley

Default Different strokes for different folks

It seems to me like something is missing here. There are really at least two schools of thought on "restoring" model As. (Well, maybe at least three.). There are actually a few guys out there who are interested in "restoring" to original. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING must be as it left the factory. Not many of us fall into this category, certainly not me, but a few of you exist. This forum can be an afront for you guys.

Then there is the third category, where the old body is fodder for modfication, chassis and drive trains are "modern", bright red paint jobs, etc., these we call hot rods, and this forum is not really for them.

Lastly, the middle category, where we want the vehicle to look pretty original, but different wheels, tires, accessories, etc. may alter that look. But the average Joe would not really know. This category modifies engines for more performance, installs overdrive's for touring, uses reliability upgrades, installs creature comforts, safety items, etc. And who in this category doesn't have a newly built trunk hanging out back full of this and that. This seems to be the focus of this forum.

Personally, I built a hot rod A pickup, but bought Elvira, (loosely restored 29 Tudor) in order to fit in with my club better. So, I'm in both category two and three, and yes, I am interested in toouring with the club, so have made several of those reliability, comfort, and power modifications.

But the guys I wonder about, are the true purists. Most of us know this person exists, one who would not modify anything from original, but most of us have never met this person. Do they have a forum of their own? One where changes are not allowed nor discussed? Seems to me those are the only ones who should be allowed to call themselves "restorer". I totally respect those guys, their talent, patients, perserverance, but frankly I've never met one.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
denis4x4

Default Re: Different strokes for different folks

It would seem to me that with the factory service bulletins and Judging Standards, that there isn't a whole lot to debate when it comes to restorations standards. On the other hand, the use of 16" wheels, hydraulic brakes, tube shocks, electronic ignitions, down draft carburetors and LED bulbs becomes fodder for the rest of us to debate.

The American Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE (Speedway Motors) has a giant display of modified Model A engines as well as a whole section devoted to after market accessories for the Model T.

I suspect that the purists tolerate the rest of us and have given up in converting us to their way of thinking!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
J Franklin

I think that since many of the roadability modifications were introduced during the model A era they are more tolerated than a chop job with a crate engine by a true purist. I have a Brumfield head and B distributor but I don't consider it being much more than stock as they can be replaced if needed.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
aermotor

I have seen cars that I believe were over restored, I don't think "better than new" really counts as restored to original. Factory flaws are a part of manufacturing today and were during the Model A period. Were all screw head slots lined up, were all square nuts lined up, were cotter keys (split pins for the purist) bent to the bottom of the nut with the other end centered halfway across the bolt shank and what about the direction they were installed, do all 4 spring clamps and shackle pins come from the same direction, how about the bent nail that some claim appeared to be factory installed? The end of a long week and the first day back were the same then as now. However, there is no J.S. for this subject. So, what is restored to original?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
michael a

This is a darn good thread. I guess I fall in with you Corley I love to take what was stock and it without getting too crazy trying to squeeze the most out of this stock motor. This all started when I was into antique tractors there is actually no end to what you can get out of those old 2 and 4 cylinder Motors and it's challenging and fun.. I find that to be true with model A and I am going to pursue that. With that being said a crate motor and a store-bought frame as absolutely no appeal to me compared to pushing the big horsepower out of stock 4 cylinder block and of course I do enjoy driving my car.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I like mods that don't show or take away from the original look . I use higher compression heads that retain the original appearance and are usually not over six to one ratio . I like to run twelve volts with the original unmodified generator and wiring . I use the Fun projects voltage regulator that looks like the original cut out . I use floating front brake wedges . Cast iron brake drums or brake bands on original brake drums remove or reduce brake fade . I like the lighter model B flywheel because it increases throttle response and takes a load off the main bearings .. I use original gear ratio . Horsepower is made at higher RPM. Running too low RPM in higher gears raises the risk of lugging the engine and hammering out the babbit bearings. If its got the horses to kick it , it will run faster than most would want to go without raising gear ratio . We usually don't cruise the model A's over 50-55 unless we are passing or getting out of the way of faster moving traffic . I don't use mine for primary transportation . If we are in a hurry we prefer the modern car for comfort and safety .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Ryan doesn't have a mission statement concerning this site so the discussion can go in whatever direction the members want to take it, with exceptions that it does not become political or devolve into personal attacks.

That is what I like about this forum. We recognize we all have our own opinions but we respect the right of every member to do what they want with their cars, or you get banned by Ryan! There is nothing wrong with speaking up or lobbying for your position as long as you do it in a respectful manner.

The thing with the Model A hobby is that it's not big enough to sustain each of the different groups you identified with a forum for each. As long as there have been automobiles, there have been guys who want make their cars look unique, go faster, or handle better. As long as that is the case, we'll all have to get along.

And if you don't like a thread, don't follow it. Let the guys who are interested in it have their discussion.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
michael a

Everything you said Dave is spot on, but why did you feel it had to be said? Their must be something I am missing here
Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
WHN

How do you keep a 90 year old car factory orginal?

Factory Stock? Well maintained orginal? Loaded up with candy? Whatever floats your boat.

I like the orginal look concept. But, it’s your car, you have to like it.

First trip back to the dealer, whether now or back in the day, and your no longer orginal.

Last edited by WHN; 05-20-2018 at 04:01 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
Everything you said Dave is spot on, but why did you feel it had to be said? Their must be something I am missing here
Michael,

The OP, Corley, stated: "But the guys I wonder about, are the true purists. . . Do they have a forum of their own? One where changes are not allowed nor discussed? . . . I totally respect those guys, their talent, patients, perserverance, but frankly I've never met one."

We do have some "restorers" here and they chime in to remind everyone that "it's not how Henry did it" or "if it was good enough for Henry, it's good enough for me".

I'm just saying that I don't think the Model A hobby is big enough to sustain an on-line forum for the true restorers alone or any of the other categories he mentioned except for the all-out hot rodders who have their own forum, the H.A.M.B. The Ford Barn is more diverse and that is what makes it interesting, for me at least.

There is another category that was not mentioned. There are a lot of guys that like "survivors", unrestored cars with everything original including engine and paint.

You're right, I should have left the rest unsaid. I tend to get carried away.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Michael,

The OP, Corley, stated: "But the guys I wonder about, are the true purists. . . Do they have a forum of their own? One where changes are not allowed nor discussed? . . . I totally respect those guys, their talent, patients, perserverance, but frankly I've never met one."

We do have some "restorers" here and they chime in to remind everyone that "it's not how Henry did it" or "if it was good enough for Henry, it's good enough for me".

I'm just saying that I don't think the Model A hobby is big enough to sustain an on-line forum for the true restorers alone or any of the other categories he mentioned except for the all-out hot rodders who have their own forum, the H.A.M.B. The Ford Barn is more diverse and that is what makes it interesting, for me at least.

There is another category that was not mentioned. There are a lot of guys that like "survivors", unrestored cars with everything original including engine and paint.

David Serrano
Thank you for the explanation

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
jb-ob

Default Re: "People You Have Never Met ?" Why ?

Some time in the dark ages someone thought it would be 'cool' offend the purists like me if you modified YOUR car.

I couldn't careless.

It's your money, you earned it, go live your dream. Stop looking for approval from other groups that might not understand what you have created.

What ever you do, FIRST make it safe !

After that get outta the garage and make some new friends. Amazing what you'll have in common with other cars guys if you just 'reach'.

Good Luck to Ya.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
chap52

It's your car, enjoy the adventure. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Michael,

David Serrano

Hey David,
'should have left rest unsaid'....not true as NO ONE here is a 'MODERATOR', not even the ones who wonder why you say something !

Now, I may be wrong in what I'm about to say, but I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable about this site will chime in about my accuracy.

Facts are important to most people , I believe. This thread was started on a faulty foundation/assumption, and those who believe those assumptions followed up with that assumption.

#1, and most important , it was stated that Ryan has 'no mission statement' regarding this area of his domain, i.e.- Model A (1928-1931).

Ryan has posted, more than once, that this IS (primarily) for restoration of the Model A ! Those you call 'purists' (and Ryan) tolerate the rest of us, eh ! My belief is that that is the case, because the overwhelming number of Model A owners here on this site, are in whatever category you want to name....except 'purists...people who want to be known as 'restorers' !

So, while naming people, maybe you can name/describe what a 'purist' is ? I doubt it. Some criminal once said...can we all get along, and IMV, (maybe )that is what has occurred here.

#2, It has been suggested that the 'purists' should have a 'home' of their own....well believe it or not...this is said by Ryan to be IT !

Personally, I thank both Ryan/purists for tolerating me (yellow face here) !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 05-20-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
jimalabam

If it looks like a Model A, Runs like a Model A, THEN it is a Model A. UNLESS you in for Fine Point Judging, then you must know the rules, and keep up to date. As well said, Different Strokes for Different Folks. BTW, who can rightfully say "Henry did not allow modifications ? Ever heard of the so-called Police Cylinder Head, and HENRY FORD himself drove a Model A Tudor part of the way to his Winter retreat in Florida,WITH A 1932 EXPERIMENTAL V8 ENGINE INSTALLED and, let's say Assembly Plant A runs out of a certain JAPANNED hex head bolt. Did they stop the assembly line when they were wooden cases of same size bolts but those were cad plated ? This info is well documented in the Ford Motor Company Archives at the Benson Ford Research Center. Everyone is welcome in our hobby as long as you are respectful of all others within the hobby. NUFF SAID...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
Corley

Well, I think MAFCA has a stated goal of preserving the cars, but while everyone in my model A club belongs to MAFCA, there is not one car in the club that is unmolested in some way, and most have quite a few mods. So the question is, where do you draw the line? Is it really all about preservation, or is it about enjoying the ride. From what I see on this forum, it is the later for almost everyone.

Definition of a Purist - One who thinks all changes are bad, except for the ones on his own car. At least that's what it seems like to me...
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I like mods that don't show or take away from the original look ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
...Definition of a Purist - One who thinks all changes are bad, except for the ones on his own car. At least that's what it seems like to me...
I'm with Purdy on this count.

And I sometimes think that Corley is spot on with his definition.

Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Personally, the word, "PURIST" infers that the rest of us are, "UN-PURE"???
Are we just "CHOPPED-LIVER"????
But why does it matter to me, I sold Vermin, my LAST Model A & won't buy another one, before I CROAK!
Bill Opionated
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
It seems to me like something is missing here. There are actually a few guys out there who are interested in "restoring" to original.

But the guys I wonder about, are the true purists. Most of us know this person exists, one who would not modify anything from original, but most of us have never met this person. Do they have a forum of their own? One where changes are not allowed nor discussed? Seems to me those are the only ones who should be allowed to call themselves "restorer". I totally respect those guys, their talent, patients, perserverance, but frankly I've never met one.
I am going to hit a few high spots that I felt are points that have been omitted in some great posts above.

1st, my observation is most people feel that it is restoring to original however it really is deeper than that. The challenge or intrigue is not really restoration, -but more about replicating the aesthetics and the dimensions on all components of an object as it was initially crafted. Most hobbyists lack the skill and mental ability to successfully perform this task.

2nd, Yes, most of the individuals that enjoy this mindset in the hobby have moved to another forum that they feel has accepted and embraced their art form however this type of restoration/replication can be discussed here or anywhere that you have a person or persons sharing this interest.

3rd, using the term 'Purist' has offended some people that have left this forum simply because others from management on down have made comments regarding the way they should or shouldn't personally enjoy their Model-A. Not everyone enjoys driving a Model-A, -or even displaying their car. The challenge for some is to research how something was crafted originally, and then try to duplicate it in exacting detail. Once that task has been completed, they are ready to move on to the next challenge. Others do exactly as you have mentioned and modify their vehicle in the manner or method that they feel is best.

I have been a member of this forum for quite a few years, and from my perspective, one of the biggest reasons that heated debates have started here has been the over misinformation being posted. This particular forum has likely done more positive for the hobby in the last decade or so than both of the national clubs have done because this forum had very knowledgeable people here for years that would correct the myths and wives' tales by providing documentation to corroborate their advice. It is ironic that I posted something regarding Social Media on another forum talking about the rampant misinformation that is discussed on the social media sites, and it really is appalling how much deceit and false statements are made. What is more unbelievable is how theos posters of inaccurate information don't care whether what they are commenting on is accurate or not.

I will close by offering this opinion of the future as restorers. It is going to be interesting to see the hobby a decade from now. The present hobbyists seem to be more interested in being parts changers rather that restorers. They would rather buy a reproduction component that they can install with their basic set of Chinese tools, than to take the time to actually repair or restore the faulty component. This goes even deeper in that most hobbyists today are not really interested in acquiring the knowledge or the tooling to go thru the phases or restoration. Instead of problem solving on their own, or reading reference material that has been made available by those 'Purists' who have compiled their research, -- instead they typically look for the easiest way which most generally involves watching a free video or asking a question on a free forum or social media page. So where does it leave the hobby after this generation has passed their Model-A on to the next hobbyist? Good question.....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #20
updraught

Restoration is a visual thing. With a video you can gain skills real quick.

People build their own house now by using YouTube videos alone.

They wouldn't have attempted it years ago.

Forums and feedback on the internet were designed to accommodate false information from the beginning. Hopefully, the correct stuff will out weigh the incorrect stuff.
That's the way it was designed. It's a feature!

Most people who started a restoration in the 60's and 70's had no idea how much effort it would take. Probably most never got finished. That was due to a lack of information.

A car is only original till it's first service. Therefore the time that it was original over 90 years isn't much.

In the 60's most A's were heaps of rust and a restored one was something unique.

Now, it is the opposite. Restored ones are common, the rust bucket is unique.
People want to see something that looks like it has been used as it was designed for.
It's a car. It was designed to take you places.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote