Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #21
bobioknight

Default Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

Here is a great option for the wiring harness, it makes it very easy to install your new electrical pump. It allows you to use the standard wiring to power the switch, which feeds the pump from the larger gauge wiring that the pump needs. I am using a toggle switch with a small LED light so I can see when it's turned on. I am using the pump to prime the system but decided to use a toggle switch to allow me to use the pump if the mechanical pump ever fails. I can just flip the switch to keep her running without having to holding the button in.

Summit® fuel pump relays will protect your electrical system from frying under the high amp draw of your electric fuel pump. Each relay includes a 30 amp circuit breaker and relay, terminal ends, and all necessary wiring.

Here is a photo...

And a link to the store.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...MobileSwitchNo

I am not sure if you also need a fuse because of the included breaker, a fuse may blow too quickly. I assume if a fuse is needed that it would have been included and the instructions indicate direct connection to the battery.

Let me know if you want a photo of it all wired up.

Last edited by bobioknight; 04-08-2017 at 08:57 AM.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #22
JeffB2

Wire it the correct way and with the correct gauge of wire,electric fuel pumps should always have a relay this kit is best bang for the buck: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-50102/overview/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
bobioknight

Let me know if you need photos of the install.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #24
Grumpy Rick

Update: I had the Carter pump installed by a mechanic (getting old and lazy). It is back near the tank, comes on with the key, feeds through the stock pump, and is protected by a new circuit breaker.

It's noisier than I expected, but when the car is running you don't hear it.

Thank you for all the info and good suggestions.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #25
Kahuna

I know this is an old thread & I appreciate Grumpy updating his stuff. Helps all of us.

I was just going to mention that I have that Mr. Gasket pump installed on 2 cars.
On one car the pump failed, or so i thought. Turns out that these pumps (come with a filter) that a small particle can get by the filter & stop the pump from pumping. Still makes the pumping sounds, but nothing comes out. After removing & removing the filter assy., I was able to look into & remove a small piece of grit & the pump again functions as normal.
Oh, and BTW, these pumps put out 5# pressure which is perfect for my Holley Teapots.
Just some trivia
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #26
1955Fairlane

Hello all! I found this forum while searching for info on how to install an 6v Airtex fuel pump on my 1955 fairlane. I realize this is a pretty old thread and I am new to forums. This is my first time posting!

I have a question in regards to the electric relays listed above. I see that they are 12v on the summit website. Can anyone tell me if a 12v relay will work on my 6v reverse polarity fairlane?

Thanks for the info and knowledge.
1955Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #27
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955Fairlane View Post
Hello all! I found this forum while searching for info on how to install an 6v Airtex fuel pump on my 1955 fairlane. I realize this is a pretty old thread and I am new to forums. This is my first time posting!

I have a question in regards to the electric relays listed above. I see that they are 12v on the summit website. Can anyone tell me if a 12v relay will work on my 6v reverse polarity fairlane?

Thanks for the info and knowledge.
Welcome to FordBarn, I'm sure we can help you out.

Is there a reason you're wanting to add an electric fuel pump?
It may or may not be an effective solution, depending on the problem.

You'd need a 6 volt relay, a 12 volt one won't work on 6 volts.
But the 6 volt fuel pump can be connected to power without a relay. Just don't use wire that's too small.
Do use a fuse at the source of the new power wire and something (oil pressure or impact sensor) that shuts the pump off when the engine isn't running.

Do you already have the 6v fuel pump? Do you know if it's wired for positive or negative ground? Hopefully it's labeled.
If it has two wires coming out of it for the power connections that will be the easiest.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-13-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: OCD
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #28
KULTULZ

Post Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

Here is a complete AIRTEX KIT 6V POS or NEG GRD that will have all of the correct electrical components-

There is also a shut-down kit offered.

https://www.vintageautogarage.com/Ai...-p/ae8902k.htm

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #29
Daves55Sedan

As far as power connection and switch selection, I don't see where you could go wrong with using a heavy-duty momentary contact pushbutton wired from the battery terminal of the ignition switch. The pump cannot operate unless the button is pushed, but it will always operate even if the key is not in the ignition yet. (That would be preferred method if the purpose is only to prime the carb after the engine has been sitting for a long time).
I have an old momentary contact pushbutton with chrome plated pushbutton, metal and phenolic casing and the hub size turned out to be perfect for fitting into the '55 Ford factory dash bezels. I currently have it installed in my '55 Courier and using it to operate my aftermarket windshield washer pump. They used to sell those pushbuttons at the hardware store, but I think the new ones they offer are cheap Chinese junk, mostly plastic. Be sure to look at the contact ratings before purchasing.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
Herman Munster

I know many may cringe at my method of priming a carb on a car that sits. I just pour a few ounces of 40:1 2-stroke mix gas right down the carb. Sometimes it takes an extra few ounces of gas to get it to run enough to fill the carb. Once it's filled, the air cleaner goes back on and I'm on my way.
I've never had a back fire or any accident in about 40 years of doing this. Do it at your own risk though and keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #31
zuburg

So, can you install an in-line electric fuel pump near the gas tank, and not have to do anything to the mechanical fuel pump? Should the electric fuel pump be powered off the ignition key so it runs anytime the engine is running?

My 56 T-bird (with a new Chinese fuel pump) would not start after sitting just a couple of days. We could pour gas into the carb to get it to start but had to do that a few times to finally get the pump to pump enough gas up to the glass fuel filter. We suspect a bad check valve is letting the fuel drain back into the line or tank. Or should we wire in a toggle switch to just run the electric pump long enough to get the car started?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #32
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
So, can you install an in-line electric fuel pump near the gas tank, and not have to do anything to the mechanical fuel pump? Should the electric fuel pump be powered off the ignition key so it runs anytime the engine is running?
Most electric fuel pumps can push gasoline thru the mechanical pump just fine. More info...
https://www.ctci.org/vapor-lock-and-...ic-fuel-pumps/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
My 56 T-bird (with a new Chinese fuel pump) would not start after sitting just a couple of days. ... We suspect a bad check valve is letting the fuel drain back into the line or tank. Or should we wire in a toggle switch to just run the electric pump long enough to get the car started?
An inline fuse in the wire to the pump, a push-button or toggle switch and/or an impact sensor are all good ideas to power an electric fuel pump.

Many of the new replacement mechanical fuel pumps are defective in the box. See this comment...
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...88#post2037988
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #33
KULTULZ

Post Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

Here is a like thread, this one showing a fuel gravity drop pump install with by-pass -

- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...99#post2042199

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote