Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Fordman487

Default Adjustable Lifters

Can anyone share an opinion about weather or not to have the machine shop install adjustable lifters in my '35 rebuild? I've heard pro's and con's and am looking for feedback from the Ford Barn folks......

Thanks!
Fordman487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Adjustable Lifters

install quality adjustable lifters, even used are better than having to grind the valve stems to set the adjustment. be sure to drill the lifter bores to aid in adjustment
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman487 View Post
Can anyone share an opinion about weather or not to have the machine shop install adjustable lifters in my '35 rebuild? I've heard pro's and con's and am looking for feedback from the Ford Barn folks......

Thanks!
If you go adjustable use ONLY the original "Johnson" tappets, nothing else. They are still available from the original mfr.

We normally purchase them by the "trays" still.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Try to avoid any lifters listed as "Johnson-Style" these are not the originals and may be and most likely are off-shore products!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
4t8v8

Put my adjustable tappets in 33 years ago and haven't touched them since. When I put my 4bbl intake on 10 years ago I checked them. Didn't have to adjust any of them. As GOSFAST said - only use the "Johnson's".
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Kube

Post #2 and #3 are spot on.
The modern adjustable lifters are simply (in my opinion) not worth the risk of installation. I have personally come upon a number of them that were soft and had they been installed, would have certainly failed rather quickly. Fortunately I knew to check them and the the proper means to do so.
I have heard but not personally experienced that many modern replacements are poorly made and as such will not hold their settings.

I am all for adjustable lifters but as has advised in previous posts, locate "good -used" or buy directly from Johnson.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
bruce lee

I didn't know you can still get lifters from Johnson. Does anyone how their contact info. And how sure are you all that they don't have them made overseas to save money too?
bruce lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce lee View Post
I didn't know you can still get lifters from Johnson. Does anyone how their contact info. And how sure are you all that they don't have them made overseas to save money too?
Gary GOSFAST has them in stock !
PM him
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce lee View Post
I ran it down a year or so ago, but don't remember all the details. It was a little funny, because the gentleman I talked to had worked there forever and knew what I was referring to, but said he had not heard anything about them for years! I had a part number and he looked it up and said, damn we do still sell them!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I ran it down a year or so ago, but don't remember all the details. It was a little funny, because the gentleman I talked to had worked there forever and knew what I was referring to, but said he had not heard anything about them for years! I had a part number and he looked it up and said, damn we do still sell them!
What is the part number and contact info for Johnson?
Thanks
Charles Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ok, found the old post, here are some quotes from it:

http://www.nopi.com/dsp_makesv.php?vv=799

From the TopLine site: In 2004, Hylift-Johnson Lifters was purchased as a division of TopLine Automotive Engineering. The previous Hylift O.E. lines that were in Zeeland, MI have now been relocated to the Muskegon plant. These high quality flat mechanical tappets, lash adjusters, buckets and encapsulated hydraulic roller lifters are being produced by the original Hylift machines and team. The same people that brought you “The Beautiful Lifter” are back manufacturing with precision and a dedication to quality that has not been seen in the lifter business for quite a few years. We feel the real value is not in the equipment or the plant but with the employees who have over 600 years of Hylift experience. Topline Hylift Johnson will continue its historical way of going to market by traditional means of distribution through a select group of customers.

OK, here is the story. Called NOPI and the counter guy said no one had ask for flathead lifters in years, last he could remember was in the 60s! LOL But, he did some checking and yes they do have them!

$14.85 each or $237.60 for a set of 16 and $248.60 with shipping. Normal shipping is two days. $11 for shipping doesn't sound to bad, they are fairly heavy for there size.

Part #B2032

Phone number 1 800-277-6674 then Est #1
Talked to Bobby, very friendly and helpful!!!

Company is NOPI and division is TopLine.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
tubman

I find the last paragraph on the "Topline" web site referenced by "JSeery" to be quite interesting. Also the fact that the links to the images appear to be broken. I think it means : "Get 'em while you can, boys!".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
BillM

The Topline site now doesn't show the B-2032 lifter, just the A-2032 which looks like its not hollow. http://www.showmetheparts.com/topline/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-2032.jpg (37.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The Topline site now doesn't show the B-2032 lifter, just the A-2032 which looks like its not hollow. http://www.showmetheparts.com/topline/
That's not what I get:

TOPLINE Engine Compartment > Cam Follower/Lifter

Unit of Measure: EA
Part Number: 125+0455
Mfg Part Number: B-2032
Sugg. Retail Price $52.93
$31.76 NOPI Price
Phone: 800-277-6674
Email: Sales

But there is not an image, so not sure about solid or hollow.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
papanomad

cgm motorsports advertise real johnson adjustable lifters. are they real johnson lifters?
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
tubman

NOPI price $31.76; that's over $500 for a set of lifters (with shipping)! Add in another $500 for a set of ARP head studs, washers and nuts and you don't even have a good start. Now you can see why flatheads are so expensive to build!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #16
tubman

Here's what it says in the CGM Motorsports ad on eBay : "Don't get caught up in hollow lifters light weight Don't forget they are full of oil which is weight!!" They do say the are made in the USA by Hylift-Johnson. It also says only a limited quantity available. More and more it looks like the end may be coming. The good news is these guys only want $219 a set.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Ronnie

The lifter discussion has been beaten to death. Read on

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en-C...pe=&as_rights=

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #18
fordwife

On the 59AB I recently rebuilt I used the old non adjustable lifters, and very carefully ground each valve stem using a set of go-no go guages. It takes time to do it , but once its done right you should never have to adjust them again until the engine needs valve work , and it saves a lot of money.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwife View Post
On the 59AB I recently rebuilt I used the old non adjustable lifters, and very carefully ground each valve stem using a set of go-no go guages. It takes time to do it , but once its done right you should never have to adjust them again until the engine needs valve work , and it saves a lot of money.
I have a question about this. After some miles, does this gap widen due to wear?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
barnfind08

I still have regular lifters $48.00/16 and $8.00 usps. for anyone that wants to go that route.
barnfind08 is online now   Reply With Quote