Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
twilder

Default Such A Joy

Just got done visiting my Mom at the nursing home. I have to say that I was never so overjoyed in my life as I watched the elderly residents there with her, some in wheelchairs sitting by the window looking at my A. They were smiling, crying and telling stories of when they were younger and rode in their Dad's Model A's. Several told me that it made their day. I'm so thankful, and so blessed.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Gold Digger

Default Re: Such A Joy

I lost my mother last September after a lengthy stay in the rest home. I remember the first time I drove my roadster pickup to see her the staff and some of the residents that saw me pull in all commented about my new pickup. Mom wanted to go see it so we went out front where it was parked. She said where's it at. I said right there in front of you. She said I wouldn't have that old thing.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Charles Coe

Our club has been doing displays several times a year at assisted living facilities. The staff reports that the residents talk about the cars for weeks and months after our visit. We're doing one this Sat.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
Goldhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Coe View Post
Our club has been doing displays several times a year at assisted living facilities. The staff reports that the residents talk about the cars for weeks and months after our visit. We're doing one this Sat.
I've never thought about doing that. What a great idea for our club! Thanks!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Charlville

Lovely story and an excellent idea

My Dad is 78 and is where I got the car bug. He ran a scrap yard for 25 years so you can imagine all the fun I youngster would have had being given free reign amongst all the wrecks of various types ranging from military hardware to motorcycles! He lost my Mum a few years ago and hasn't been in the best of health, but when he comes up to our place for his weekly visit his face lights up when he sees the Model A in the garage
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I lost my mother last September after a lengthy stay in the rest home. I remember the first time I drove my roadster pickup to see her the staff and some of the residents that saw me pull in all commented about my new pickup. Mom wanted to go see it so we went out front where it was parked. She said where's it at. I said right there in front of you. She said I wouldn't have that old thing.
This one makes you understand why we all love Moms. God Love her.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
amodel25

Many years ago, a group of us took our "A's to a retirement home that happened to be where my Grandmother was living. We were taking the residents on short rides in the cars. When they asked my Grandmother if she wanted a ride, her reply was "No, one of those cars belongs to my Grandson and I can ride in that old thing any day I want to".
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
. . . When they asked my Grandmother if she wanted a ride, her reply was "No, one of those cars belongs to my Grandson and I can ride in that old thing any day I want to".
I think she was actually skiting! She was one up on her mates!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
ian Simpson

Our club (The Edmonton Antique Car Club) has organised runs to senior's homes on a regular basis. This summer there are twelve scheduled. My wife and I find these to be the most fun of any event. Some of those old ladies make my 70 year old ears turn red when telling us what they did in the back seat of a Tudor!

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
29er

This thread inspired me to drive Henrietta (that's her over to the left) on my Meals-On-Wheels route today. Thanks guys! There's not a lot of room in the coupe for hot trays, cold trays, milk and dirty dishes, but we got by using the package shelf, floorboard space, rumble seat and rear luggage rack.

The only downside was it took longer than with my modern car because meal recipients wanted to tell me their own experiences with the Model A's in their past ('cept for one hard-core Packard guy who said he'd NEVER own a Ford!)

Today stirred a lot of memories for folks! And I gained a few useful tips.

Mike in Oregon
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Our club (The Edmonton Antique Car Club) has organised runs to senior's homes on a regular basis. This summer there are twelve scheduled. My wife and I find these to be the most fun of any event. Some of those old ladies make my 70 year old ears turn red when telling us what they did in the back seat of a Tudor!

Ian
Reminds me of the time we had cars on display at a retirement home and a lady well into her 80's stood there silently reminiscing. You could see on her face that she was not only miles away but decades away as well. She plucked up the courage to ask if she could sit in the car so we opened the front door. "No", she said, "I'd like to sit in the back". Not a problem so we helped her in and you could she she was again miles and decades away. As she got out of the car, she said, "You know, I lost my virginity in the back of a car like this one!" We didn't know what to say to that but knew we had made her day.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 AM   #12
Richard in Anaheim CA

I've never got a remark that specific but have had "many" comments from the old ladies
"We had so much fun in those rumble seats", always accompanied with one of "those" smiles.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
CarlG

I came out from the local Carrs/Safeway store some time back, there was an 80+ yo lady standing next to my Pickup, just starring at it. She had the biggest grin on her face. Never said a word, but you had to know what she was thinking.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 05-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
bikejunk

It was an 85 year old woman that first told me how her husband would move the shift lever down and out of the way --Huba huba oh you kid....
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
Cape Codder

Our club "MODEL A FORD CLUB OF CAPE COD" has been visiting nursing homes at least one a year for the past 5 or 6 years. The older people there seem to enjoy it very much.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Our club does the same thing. Means a lot to see their eyes lite up what the see the cars.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Fred K-OR

A couple of years ago, we had a party here at our place. I had the opportunity to give a little old lady a ride in my huckster. It turned out that she was one month older than my huckster. She enjoyed the ride and has since passed away. A person has to take the opportunity to make someone happy when you have the chance.

Many good ideas mentioned above. Thanks guys for the ideas.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
Charles Coe

We had a beautiful morning at the assisted living facility today. Here's a shot of some of the residents checking out the cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Assisted Living.jpg (107.9 KB, 82 views)
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #19
beechboy

Great stories,thanks for sharing
beechboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
pgerhardt

At the other end of the spectrum, years ago I took my 1930 coupe to a local elementary school for a first grade class to check out. They were all incredibly excited and it was a terrific experience with just one slight down side. Every square inch of the car was covered with little finger prints!
Nothing a wash and wax could't take care of.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote