Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
spdster

Default Boxing 1934 Ford Frame

I know this is a touchy subject but I am going to box my 34 frame. I have used Wescott's frame diagram for the locating the weld nuts for the body on the top rails and for the gas tank. But it is unclear for the running board bracket mounts and the front fender braces and inner brackets and door brackets. I haven't found a listing for weld nut placements for a 3W coupe but I have searched for them. This is a first time doing it and I want to make sure that it is done right, Thanks
spdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
34pickup

Default Re: Boxing 1934 Ford Frame

Why not just weld a thick plate on the inside of the frame rails and then locate the points to drill and tap the holes when you sit the body on it? Thats easier than trying to find the exact spot to drill a hole and weld in a nut.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
rich b

Seriously; why would you want to box a post '32 frame. They are strong enough for most any engine you would run on the street and then some.

Even if you have to box the front for IFS the area between the X where the boards and the door posts bolt down won't need it.

But; if you do, just look at your front fender braces, inner fender panels, fenders, running boards, rear tail supports, and the body side bolts on your body, and mark the corresponding frame holes for anchors.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
bill3337

On my '37 which is staying somewhat original body and trim wise, I mocked up the whole body including running boards and fenders and found all the original holes that I would need. The other holes I welded up and the ones I knew I would be using I welded 1/4" x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 plate behind. Before I tapped the holes, I assembled the body (to check for all fits etc) and marked the centers for the running board bolts and other key locations, marked the centers, tapped the holes before I started prepping the frame for paint. I used 1/8" plate to box the inside rails. I guess you could drill and install nutserts instead of welding plates inside, but felt more comfortable with the plates.
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I am also perplexed with with the boxing ! Are you installing a high torque engine? A mustang II front end? Any normal street engine would not need it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Krylon32

First 33/34 chassis I built I used all bolt on mts. I did a SBC with 350 turbo, CE center X mts. CE Pedal setup. Maverick rear on a CE rear spring kit. I split the bones and made bolt on mts on the frame and fabricated a bolt on Vega mount and bolt on front panard. I chopped the 5 window coupe 4 inchs and drove the hell out of that car and the frame was good enough that when I sold it with about 40 K on the meter the body and fenders had no cracks. I did a stock 33/34 customer frame a couple of years ago and only boxed it for the motor mounts and a small area in the rear for the model a cross member. Didn't have to box for the steering as we used one of Neal's 37 Hudson boxes.

Last edited by Krylon32; 05-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
spdster

I would mock up the whole body including running boards and fenders and find all the original holes that I would need if I had all the parts but this is/was a basketcase. A rusty body and a bare frame and a few parts picked up thru Ford Barn ads. I will be running a 50's Mercury flathead but if it doesn't cut the mustard a later FORD motor will be moving in, since it is apart now kinda planning ahead. Steering will either be Vega box or Unisteer. I have considered using Bill3337's method that is an option especially if I mount the shock with the front fender braces.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
cas3

good frames are getting hard to find. if you want a modern chassis, you should buy one and not wreck the original
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdster View Post
I would mock up the whole body including running boards and fenders and find all the original holes that I would need if I had all the parts but this is/was a basketcase. A rusty body and a bare frame and a few parts picked up thru Ford Barn ads. I will be running a 50's Mercury flathead but if it doesn't cut the mustard a later FORD motor will be moving in, since it is apart now kinda planning ahead. Steering will either be Vega box or Unisteer. I have considered using Bill3337's method that is an option especially if I mount the shock with the front fender braces.
It's your frame, but there is no rational for doing this that I am aware of. Why make life more difficult than it needs to be? It is easy to warp a frame.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
spdster

My welder and I went over the frame and it is in pretty good shape, am going to hold off on boxing the frame until I can mock up the body and figure out which suspension/steering I am going to use. I am going to use a flathead V8 so that is another reason not to box it.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdster View Post
My welder and I went over the frame and it is in pretty good shape, am going to hold off on boxing the frame until I can mock up the body and figure out which suspension/steering I am going to use. I am going to use a flathead V8 so that is another reason not to box it.
I would suggest if you feel the need to box some areas, just box these areas, not the entire frame. Should be very few of them. IF you were installing a V8, you might want to box the motor mount areas. Another candidate might be the steering box mount. The last area that comes to mind would be parallel spring mounts, that's about it.