Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Bill Goddard

Default Modern Shocks any good?

I have modern hydraulic shocks from Bratton's and I think they are not tuned for my 4 door sedan. The ride is bouncy. That is while driving down a relatively smooth road there is a low amplitude bounce constantly. Going over pot holes there is very little bounce but continuing along the road the little bounce comes back. I think the shocks are too light, maybe they were selected to accommodate a lighter weight coop. Also they never bottom out on any bump or pot hole. I want to find out what shocks came with this kit and upgrade to a stiffer shock. Am I on the right track here? Thanks for your help Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Modern Shocks any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
I have modern hydraulic shocks from Bratton's and I think they are not tuned for my 4 door sedan. The ride is bouncy. That is while driving down a relatively smooth road there is a low amplitude bounce constantly. Going over pot holes there is very little bounce but continuing along the road the little bounce comes back. I think the shocks are too light, maybe they were selected to accommodate a lighter weight coop. Also they never bottom out on any bump or pot hole. I want to find out what shocks came with this kit and upgrade to a stiffer shock. Am I on the right track here? Thanks for your help Bill G
If they never bottom out, you need softer shocks.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If they never bottom out, you need softer shocks.
Pete is correct; the vendors' tube offerings were too stiff for my sedan. Some say 60's VW shocks are softer.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

How well lubed are the springs, if you stand on a running board and get off does the car return to the same position-- is there red dust coming out between the spring leaves?
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Bill Goddard

I'm getting information from home here and one idea is to soften the springs. IF that is the solution what would you recommend -- taking out the top short spring or a longer inner spring leaf. Both front and rear springs are new replacements 5 yrs ago.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Benson

Bill,

"That is while driving down a relatively smooth road there is a low amplitude bounce constantly.

Jack up wheels and spin them.

Maybe you have a tire that is not seated on rim?

Or tire/wheel out of balance.

This would cause a "hopping" motion like you describe!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Happens rarely these days, perhaps a defective tire?

My modern car developed a small "bounce/vibration" at certain speeds. Tried spin balancing a couple of times, added beads, new struts, tires rotated, had the front end looked at. Finally replaced the front tires, only had 7,000 miles on them. Issue solved - tire guy said they occasionally get a tire that looks and balances OK, something about the inner belts moving slightly.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
duke36

Are the Brattons shocks black color? The are probably gas assist, not pure hydraulics (softer rebound)which are usually only available for some foreign cars. A couple of suggestions: remove the front shocks and try the ride compared to what you have. I found the rear tube shocks were not too bad, the fronts way too stiff with brand new springs. Also, if you have nylon tires, they can exhibit flat spots from sitting , then subside when heated up after a couple of miles. Softening the springs may change other dynamics ; were the springs leaves lubed with graphite, etc., before installation?

Last edited by duke36; 11-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Bob Bidonde

Before giving up on your shocks, try changing the tire pressure. let the tire sidewalls do some of ride damping. Try 32, 30, & 28 psig.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Bill Goddard

Reducing the tire pressure might work but what would it tell me. I can't run with reduced press all time but would it indicate I need softer springs? I like the idea of removing the front springs too.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
mike657894

you may have a wheel problem, bent, balance, tread seperation ,side wall buble. softer springs would be more bouncy until you get the violent rack of bottoming out. less pressure more bounce higher pressure harsher over bumps. Over stiff shocks would feel like your springs are froze stiff and make bumps feel very harsh. Rusty springs would limit how far your spring can travel. my local roads have some resonance in the way they are made. if I accelerate at just the right speed it will set the car to bouncing. try different roads. If you can have a someone follow you and try to look at your tires while you drive or have a passenger in their car video it. If your springs are dry they are probably frozen and like any spring they may have 10 15 or 20 years of life in them from when they are installed. easy to out age springs in a old car. The more frozen a spring the more bongy it will be on its ends. The cheap skate way is to remove springs grind off the rust and grease and reinstall and rotate them against the lean of your car. More trouble than its worth and your left with free moving weak springs.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
daveymc29

Took a ride today to lunch with a friend. We discussed our luck with shocks. I had no good luck getting originals rebuilt, they always leaked from day one and that is from several good old boys over several years. Put on tube shocks and the bride refused to ride in the car again until I took them off. I found them to give a harsh ride with my roadster and coupe, the roadster was the worst. For the price of another car, I could go with the good replacement, near originals, but in our discussion another option was presented. It seem that Snyder's now has their own shocks created that will give a decent ride and may not be too expensive so I'm thinking of trying one of their sets on the roadster and keep refilling the rebuilds on the coupe. The other option I like is the MG conversion, but that can get pricey also if done correctly. At 83, how good of a ride do I need? Probably not going very far anyway.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Ask around to find out if the replacement original style are rebuildable and how long they last. I am not sure, but the Snyders may not be rebuildable. Do a search here, may have been discussed before. Have heard good things about John Holland as a rebuilder, had mine done, only 10 K on them but am very happy so far .
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
woofa.express

My Tourer has MG shocks and they are good. I purchased a post manufacture set of tube shocks from Snyders for my ute about one year ago. Don’t know if they were an inhouse manufactured set but they are harsh. Removed front set and the ride improved. Think I may even remove rear set. Disappointed.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote