Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #161
CarlG

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
This is gonna seem odd, but I have never really even looked at a ford woodie before I started (or since). I have been dreaming of going to the Lemay antique car museum in Tacoma Wa. and am hoping they have one there. With the ferry and travel time it would be a 2 day trip. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCJ View Post
Just google Lemay car collection woodie - you will probably like what you see. We were lucky enough to visit there two years ago when we were down south. Well worth the time and price of admission. Good luck.
When you do go to the LeMay Museum, make sure to see not only the one in downtown Tacoma, but also the one in Parkland at Marymount. It's not as fancy, but has a lot more of Harold's cars.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #162
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
This is gonna seem odd, but I have never really even looked at a ford woodie before I started (or since). I have been dreaming of going to the Lemay antique car museum in Tacoma Wa. and am hoping they have one there. With the ferry and travel time it would be a 2 day trip. .

When you do go to the LeMay Museum, make sure to see not only the one in downtown Tacoma, but also the one in Parkland at Marymount. It's not as fancy, but has a lot more of Harold's cars.

Awesome! Now it's a 3 day trip. There's a big weekend coming up where my ex is throwing a bridal shower for our daughter. There will be hens from all over converging on the island. Maybe my youngest son and I can hit the Lemay for that weekend.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #163
FireEngineMike

Sam's has a choice of two 4' LED fixtures for around $35 each. The replacement LED tubes I saw on-line cost more than that for 2 "bulbs" and as Fordors said, there are some ballast issues. I bought 6 for my new garage, but it is not finished so they are still in the cartons. The one I am trying in my shop gives good light.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #164
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
Sam's has a choice of two 4' LED fixtures for around $35 each. The replacement LED tubes I saw on-line cost more than that for 2 "bulbs" and as Fordors said, there are some ballast issues. I bought 6 for my new garage, but it is not finished so they are still in the cartons. The one I am trying in my shop gives good light.
How about the part where the shop is unheated. I know that has a lot to do with the performance and choice of the flourescent fixtures. Are LEDs dependant on heat?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #165
mhsprecher

My garage is unheated and the LEDs do fine there. Mine were around $35 each fixture at Costco.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #166
docrock

Awesome build. what size are the vertical styles on the door? How are you putting the doors and quarters together? Biscuits or Lap joints or Mortise? When build the actual doors will you make tracks for the glass?
Thanks for all the great pics
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #167
RalphM

Looking good GB!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #168
mercman from oz

Looking wood, I mean looking good. Can't wait until we see the finished product.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #169
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrock View Post
Awesome build. what size are the vertical styles on the door? How are you putting the doors and quarters together? Biscuits or Lap joints or Mortise? When build the actual doors will you make tracks for the glass?
Thanks for all the great pics
The rear quarters are mortise and tenon, but drawn together with star drive construction lags which stay in. The door stiles are constructed at 2 1/4" but lose some from fitting. I started mocking up the front doors from scrap lumber yesterday, but my pattern got really complex. The cowl's A pillar has quite a curved profile but the B pillar is straight and flat, just like a '40 ford wagon woodie. The transition from one to the other is certainly do-able and I see it time after time in all kinds of woodie pictures on the net. The tough part is getting a straight line which is paralell for flat glass that will bisect the front and rear door stiles at different angles, all the while leaving room inside this wood door to accomodate the channels , cranks , gears and whatever else resides in a door while maintaining a thickness that works for the cabin's interior. As fate would have it I received a roster from the national woodie club (which I joined one late night) in Saturday's mail and I found a member on a neighboring island who has 4 ford woodies and some that are apart. He and I will meet soon and look at door construction in great detail! In the meantime I have been working on the sheet metal for the front clip and that is pretty fun and exciting too!

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #170
jerseyboy

GB,
Welcome to the Woodie Club! I was on a woodie thread on the HAMB, and we were discussing the very same front transition. Here is a pic of a custom A with the transition from cowl to B pillar.

Looks like they kept everything straight except the front door frame and the inner panel.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -2.jpg (96.7 KB, 56 views)
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.

Last edited by jerseyboy; 03-22-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: addtnl items
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #171
Jungle Jalopy

Looks bitchin', GB!
Jungle Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #172
GB SISSON

Every time I vow to put this thing on the back burner because work in the cabinet shop has gotten so busy and my own kitchen is all torn up and the lawn needs mowing already and I have company coming for the weekend and a hundred other reasons, I sneak out there and grab a few tools and go at it. So I have still been mocking up doors with scrap lumber and plywood. It's that darn transition from voluptious front cowl to the slab sided '40 ford woodie type body that is getting to me. I was able to make most of the transition by shaping the 2 x 5 1/2" bottom door rail as a twist and all the while keeping the line of the inset panel straight and in line with the rear stile of the door. Somewhere along the line when it stopped raining, I painted the hood that I sanded on Saturday. It's a three ring circus of 8ba outdoor rebuild, tin work and wood work. Oh, and then there's the real work during the weekdays that pays for all this madness, so I guess it's four rings....... I actually milled some of the parts for the actual doors in hard maple when I was set up to make the rear quarters, so I am pretty anxious to see what the real doors will look like. My big ol' lawn is about 8" high......
Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #173
Lawson Cox

Looking great. It will be an eye catcher for sure. Congratulations on your wood working abilities.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #174
jerseyboy

GB,

Looks great! What is the green are you using?

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #175
RalphM

Getting better looking with each addition! Love it!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #176
ebruns1

Gary,

That's coming along great! I wanted to thank you for all the help answering my 1-ton Express tire and rim questions. Here's a photo of my favorite truck-based woody. I may follow your lead and do this on my 1946 tonner chassis, although it might be easier to do a full chassis swap with an old F-100! I'm not sure of the condition of my v8 flatty so maybe that will determine which way I'll go with it. Hopefully the attachment comes through...

Jim T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IHC woody 4x4.jpg (136.1 KB, 57 views)
ebruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #177
GB SISSON

I have seen pictures of that cornbinder. It is really beautiful and a great example of a truck based woodie. I almost went with a tonner as I have a few around here, but I was thinking more in terms of some weekend outings with my wife, and while she doesn't have a problem with my truck collecting she doesn't seem to enjoy trips in the tonner panel. It's quite noisy inside with the square cut gears and extremely truck like in all regards. This will be my first half ton in 44 years of owning many vintage ford trucks.... My 3 speed light duty transmission arrived at Fastenal and I picked it up on Tuesday. It seems to be in excellent shape and rolls through the gears smoothly. I also dug up some old door latches I had bought a while back at second hand store. I knew they would be perfect for this project. Maybe not the easiest to reach and unlatch from the inside of the vehicle, but the woodie parts specialty houses get 450.00 per latch for an original. These are new old stock and made in Chicago and they fit the 3/8 shaft for the ford handle. I have completed the door mock-ups and now I'm itchy to bust out the last of my 3x8 maple and get a start on the actual doors, but we are extremely busy in the shop. At least I have a rather complete 'Hollywood Set' side view to look down at from the cabinet shop. Thank you for all the nice comments I have received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 023.JPG (141.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 029.JPG (128.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 038.JPG (133.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 001.JPG (125.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 003.JPG (136.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 004.JPG (126.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #178
truckdog62563

Anything is possible if you want to bad enough. Here are the before and after pictures of that magnificent IHC R140. Stu

Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #179
willowbilly3

Not to sidetrack the thread but wasn't that binder a one-off they built to squire around IH execs or something. Seems like I read about it in Hemmings a few years back.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #180
truckdog62563

Iirc there were two or three built for a safari or some such. This one was rebuilt based on measurements of one other. The pics I posted were from the original eBay for sale posting of it as found many years ago. I had to dig out an old thumb drive to retrieve the pics. Stu