Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
1931 flamingo

Default Air filter

Thanks in advance ! ! !
Ive got 2 chrome 97's on an Almquist manifold with chrome air filter assys with a 4" dia x 2" high paper filter. Looking for foam type filters.
Anyone have p/n's and/or a vendor.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: Air filter

Paul, when you say "foam" do you mean a K&N type filter element is not what you're looking for?
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

About the only thing that I know of that uses some sort of "foam" filter is found on garden tractors with small Briggs engines etc.

If you are considering K&N then go to this site and using your dimensions check for availability.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/uni...und-air-filter
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
37 Cab

Careful with foam. It is flammable and a backfire can light it up very easily. Edelbrock makes a triangle shaped foam filter for 4bbl carbs and I have seen more than one burned.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
RKS.PA

K&N makes an element that is 4 inches wide by 2 inches high that I used to replace the paper element that came with the chrome air cleaners.

As 50 Merc suggests above, go the the K&N site to get the part #. I'm very happy with the replacement and think I'm doing as good a job as possible with air filtration.

The manifold is a three carb Rochester set-up....and yes, it's not on a flathead....my flathead is an original oil bath that I converted to a Wix paper element..with help here on the Barn!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Thanks Guys............................problem solved .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
47 Fordor Ford

"my flathead is an original oil bath that I converted to a Wix paper element..with help here on the Barn!" I need help, I am trying to convert to a paper element, I am unable to fine any link with directions on how to complete the conversion for my 47 V8, it looks like you were successful, can you help? Thanks
47 Fordor Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fordor Ford View Post
"my flathead is an original oil bath that I converted to a Wix paper element..with help here on the Barn!" I need help, I am trying to convert to a paper element, I am unable to fine any link with directions on how to complete the conversion for my 47 V8, it looks like you were successful, can you help? Thanks
again my 2 cents; oil bath filters are for harsh environments, they were common on all makes cars trucks buses gravel pits, really no advantage on
boulevard roads or the perfect world roads. If in Kansas or Dakotas where
most are gravel roads you need oil bath, cause oil attracts dust, and oil is like a magnet . Paper elements only catch pollen, leaves not dirt, and dirt is the
killer. There is a reason for my loaders & backhoes have oil bath filters. My proof is we use a 1949 Ford tractor with a Woods finish lawnmower has oil
bath, each day that the filter collects you wouldn't believe the sludge in 8 hrs
mow time that it collects. what can I say you drive in the perfect world ya
don't need no air cleaner Not here LOL sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fordor Ford View Post

47 Fordor, the Wix paper element I used is a 51004. I had to modify the oil bath by trial and error until I could get a good seal and full flow through the Wix. I'll post some pics as soon as I can get my iphone to upload the photos to my computer.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
47 Fordor, the Wix paper element I used is a 51004. I had to modify the oil bath by trial and error until I could get a good seal and full flow through the Wix. I'll post some pics as soon as I can get my iphone to upload the photos to my computer.

47 Fordor, here are some pics of the modifications I made to my stock oil bath air cleaner. I used the Search function here above to see what others have done. 51 Merc included some diagrams for using a K&N filter element for example. My first attempts didn't allow enough air flow...my seals were too good! Thus the holes etc. Good luck. I'm very happy with my outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Filter.jpg (31.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0810Air Filter 2.jpg (59.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808Air Cleaner 3.jpg (38.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0809 Air Clearner 3.jpg (39.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
frank d kirkstad

I am a little confused about the oil bath verse the paper type filters.Years ago mechanics would tell me that when cars started to use the paper type elements,much less damaging particles were entering the intake system and thus a much less need to use a ridge reamer when it was time for a rebuild.Oil bath systems were still used on construction equipment because paper elements would clog up in a very short amount of time.
Frank
frank d kirkstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ

A good paper element will remove slightly more than oil bath, oil bath will remove more than a K&N --- the k&n should flow more
A oil bath needs to be matched to flow, too little and the oil isn't drawn up into the element, too much flow and the oil is sucked in the intake, the flow of oil through the element, draining back is what cleans the element and collecting the trash
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote