Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
skryla

Default Re: F150 trans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
the driveshaft and tube get shortened aprox 2 inches everything else bolts in.
Nice do you offer a full bolt in kit? Pls email [email protected]. I have a B banger
skryla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
john in illinois

I have one of Dave's bolt in F150 kits in my 1930 Model A. We travel a lot and it makes highway driving at 55 great. 16,000 mile and no problems.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
jimTN

Columbia rear end works fine and does not require cutting the x member.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
swanwaco32

Miss Victoria. Do you sell this set up? Thanks John
swanwaco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

You'd have to offer a kit with all the necrssaey parts and a refund on the tailshaft core. With the right machinery this isn't too difficult, However the bell housing could be one expensive item. However, converting to an open drive and adapting to a 49/53 bell housing may save a few bucks. Could be allot cheaoer than a Mitchael.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
ironbuttjohn

Will you PM about this, Thanks
ironbuttjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #27
fordson

Miss Victoria !

Iam planning my build, a 1934 Ford coupe, stock original with a good solid frame.
Plan A: T5 S10 tranny with Wilco adapter kit for 59AB, new tranny mount and alteration to the centre oft the X-member , relocating the radious rods and open drive shaft as well as repositioned shift tower 6-7“ .

The more i realised how extensive alterations and welding issues were needed, the more i realised i wanted to keep it simple and disturb the frame as little as possible.

Plan B: I got back to the 39 transmission top shifter with 40ies ford sedan gears which is a bolt in issue, despite the fact of 3 gears only and a case that is not as strong for my engine.

My engine is going to be a 1948 Ford flathead 59AB, Howards M-6 Cam, Johnson (Hollow) Adjustable Lifters, Stainless Valves, Lifters set to .12 Intake, .14 Exhaust,
Mercury 4" Crank, 3-3/8" Bore, 286 cubic inch !

Now i have read about your Ford F150 tranny which sounds like a good alternative to Plan A or B, since it offers an OD and i could possibly use the stock trans mount on my 34 with closed drive shaft assembly. The Case also seems to be a lot stronger.
I would want another rerar axle / differential gear ratio of 3.54 or 3.70 / 3.73 / 3. 78 gears. I still have to figure out which would be the most apropriate.

Q: will your transmission bolt to the 59 AB ?
Q : can i use the stock 34 centre section of the 34 x member without having to cut or weld anything?
Q: can i use the stock 34 gear linkage or do i need 39 linkage
Q: Pedal set up, what do i need to change (Richard Lacys Padel adapter Kit for 39 transmission)?

Id be glad for a telephone contact number so i could shortly discuss and clear some issues, the shipping would be to my engine builder in Colorado.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you !
Regards Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #28
Ol' Ron

For instolation behind an 8BA style engine with open drive line the stock stamped steel bell housing can be modified to fit. Saving a ton of money. I have my salvage yard looking for these but so far have only come up with one.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
Steve/IL

Here is a link to a T170 gear ratio chart.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...8&d=1325958600

There is a metal tag on the side of the T170 transmissions with 'RTS-' followed by 2 letters. The 2 letters identify which engine the transmission was used with. The chart shows all the letters and the corresponding gear ratios. Note that there are 3 OD ratios. In my opinion, only the 27.6% (.7837) OD ratio is appropriate for a flathead.

Note: Sorry the above link does not work consistently? If the link does not work for you, send me a PM and I will send you the link.

Last edited by Steve/IL; 03-08-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fix Link?
Steve/IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
Bassman/NZ

I did this same swap to my C59A engine. It works brilliantly. I welded the stock Ford gear stick to the F150 stick, and with the rubber boot on it just looks stock. I did this conversion myself, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have got one of Miss Victoria's kits and saved myself a lot of work. The biggest hassle is removing the output shaft and getting it cut and splined, the rest of the job is not so bad.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #31
john in illinois

Here is Dave's web site and contact info.

http://modelaonly.net/products.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #32
36tbird

Wow, I like it.

Does anyone know if you could adapt the open drive tail piece from '50ish pickup trans for an open drive?

I'm guessing you would need some sort of sleeve coupler on the output shaft. Maybe cutting off the yoke on a u-joint would work.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #33
Marv

Talking Re: F150 trans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Wow, I like it.

Does anyone know if you could adapt the open drive tail piece from '50ish pickup trans for an open drive?

I'm guessing you would need some sort of sleeve coupler on the output shaft. Maybe cutting off the yoke on a u-joint would work.
Why would you want to? This transmission is open drive from the factory, and there is 2 different lengths of tail shafts that i know of. I would think a old Ford would use the short one, and use the yoke off of it.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #34
gearhead1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Wow, I like it.

I would imagine you could. The rear mount off an F1 truck would bolt in place of the early torque tube mount. The trans output shaft would need to be modified for the speedo and may need to be longer...
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #35
36tbird

Yo Marv, I did not know about different tail shaft housings. Can you tell me what I vehicle I should be looking for to find the short one? The center section of the '36 I am thinking of getting this trans for is already modified with a Chassis Engr. kit, so maybe all I would have to do is fabricate a trans mount.

I am currently running a Muncie 4 speed behind my flathead with a 3:00 8" rear. My cruise is good with the 1:1 final drive, but initial accel ain't so good. If I could get one of these 170's in there, I'd try a 3:55 rear. Thanks for the info.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #36
fordson

Alright, Dave has responded, it will bolt to a 59 AB but is 2 inches longer than a 39 trans.(center section mods needed) on a 34.
I have to give it a thought, back to square one, maybe someone on the HAMB knows what alterations are needed. Probably to the same extend as with a T5 S10.
Regards
Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #37
Ol' Ron

Lets take a long look at this type of modification. Why?? Wel the only thing this transmission offers is and OD. So what other trans missions or rear ends offer an OD and how much does it cost to install them? Mitchael? Columbia? Is the end result better? Well the Mitchael and Columbia, both use an early Ford rear axle, which is pretty obsolete, by today's standards, including the brakes. Change the rear end to something more modern? Well the problem here is: Wheel bolt pattern. The early fords use the wide 5 or the 5 on 5 1/2 and the only place you can find these in quanity is the Ford 9", which is very heavy and in a light road car, rides like a truck. Or you could use a Spicer 44 5 on 4 1/2 and convert the front to disk brakes.
All this is called the domino affect. Sometimes a week end job turns into a lifetime effort. That's what I did. Hope to be on the road in a few more years, after I mortgagee the house.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #38
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
All this is called the domino affect. Sometimes a week end job turns into a lifetime effort. That's what I did. Hope to be on the road in a few more years, after I mortgagee the house.
Very well stated. We should keep Ron's domino effect in mind when trying to achieve the "perfect" solution to any set of choices.

Last edited by John R; 09-06-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Clarify
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #39
flathead 53

miss victoria ,do you sell these kits , how do we go about getting one ?

Last edited by flathead 53; 09-06-2015 at 01:45 PM.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote