Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
Vonn Ditch

Default Roadster at Hershey

I saw this roadster on Tuesday morning at Hershey. The guy said he was gonna sell it for the best offer by Friday and it wasn't going home with him. Does anyone know what it sold for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2767.jpg (88.4 KB, 659 views)
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Wick

Default Re: Roadster at Hershey

$10,000
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Vonn Ditch

Thanks Wick
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Steve_Mack_CT

Took a few pics of the top assy. as it was a standard. Neat car. Was hoping to find a standard top frame, but didnt...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Boston Bruce

On Wednesday the young man at that space told me the price was $17,000. Guess they overestimated the value of the car.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

what made it so special? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
Steve_Mack_CT

Wow - frankly I thought at $10K the seller should be pretty happy. Very interesting car, but a heavy project needing a full restoration. I am assuming mechanical condition untouched as well. Maybe the value is in the originality but wow - a nice car but just a little too rough, IMHO to leave as a "preservation" type car. Sounds like Wick might know a bit more about that car, would be interested in any info on what might make it a little special.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
Took a few pics of the top assy. as it was a standard. Neat car. Was hoping to find a standard top frame, but didnt...
Does anyone know why Ford made different top assemblies for a Standard v. Deluxe? If I remember correctly, Standard is flat stock and the Deluxe top irons are oval-ish and tapered tube.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Wow - frankly I thought at $10K the seller should be pretty happy. Very interesting car, but a heavy project needing a full restoration. I am assuming mechanical condition untouched as well. Maybe the value is in the originality but wow - a nice car but just a little too rough, IMHO to leave as a "preservation" type car. Sounds like Wick might know a bit more about that car, would be interested in any info on what might make it a little special.
Why do you think Wick knows more ? Wayne
Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
agreed, should be given the "crosscut" detail: preserve the body as is with johnsons wax and restore it mechanically to a safe fun vehicle
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

What?? No whitewalls? Fugetaboutit.

$10K. Originally asking $17,000. Wow. I'm glad to see '30-'31 Roadsters still have a following Seems like they are always in demand. I'm sure the owner was happy with ten grand for the car, and the buyer must have been equally happy.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Does anyone know why Ford made different top assemblies for a Standard v. Deluxe? If I remember correctly, Standard is flat stock and the Deluxe top irons are oval-ish and tapered tube.
It's the other way around.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Steve_Mack_CT

One of the A vendors (Smith & Jones, I think) had a couple of top assy. sets but he could not confirm is '30 - '30 Standard, or earlier. The standard top irons also seem to have more iron in them, I didn't want to fish around too much as it was not my car, and owner was not there, but I went back a couple times hoping to catch him as I would have liked to take a couple measurements and gone back to look at the assy. to see if I could identify it.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
ronn

I think that roadster was spot on money wise.
plenty of semi restored ones out there, but very few in original state.

about 4 years ago sold an amateur restored 4dr sedan that looked real nice for 8200.
a few months later sold an all original 4 dr for 8300.
I would have taken the original hands down wo the blink of an eye for preference, good looks, and enjoy ability.

someone got a nice car at Hershey!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
mhsprecher

I see more cars and trucks that are in that condition that are fixed up mechanically and retain their "as found" condition. They are often the most popular cars at shows. Maybe the originalist's version of a rat rod, although I really don't like rat rods. They are "a thing."
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #16
john charlton

Out of curiosity what did the jeep make or asking price ? I have a 42 GPW all apart but seems to have taken second place to a 30 deluxe roadster restoration which I have had since 1973 !!! I really must get that car finished .

John in damp heavy rain showers Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Steve_Mack_CT

Sorry John, I noticed the jeep (dad would have been all over it, pretty good following state side as I am sure you know) but did not get any info on it.

Agree original cars continue to gain in popularity. I spoke to a guy at a show earlier this season who described the process of "patini-izing" his project to match some field sourced parts, every bit as hard to do as a first class paint job in a traditional restoration.

This one would be a tough choice for me though - I would feel differently if it was a little better all around - to me, "good original" means relatively serviceable and presentable. This one in my book, would be an excellent restoration candidate. But that line is different for everyone. Maybe $10K is not too out of whack for a very complete original start - what we don't know for example, is if engine dates to early 30, etc. If most components are indeed original, then it might be worth it, certainly good bones for a high point car, solid body and fenders, while needing a lot of straightening, could be saved and are not too rusty. Worth the work (even if it ends up costing more than a clean set) if they are original to the car.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

It is easy to call it spot on or a reasonable price if you are spending someone else's money. How much of your hard earned money would you pay? Not knowing anything about the mechanicals It sold in my opinion for twice what it is worth. I buy a lot of cars for my private collection and I would not have paid more than $5000 hard earned dollars. Wayne
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
Drive Shaft Dave

I noticed that it has the stamped head lamp bar.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #20
Wick

The roadster came out of N.J it did not run. If he still had it on Friday price would have been $7500 obo
I had almost decided to make a deal on it Tuesday evening using the leverage of.....now you can go shopping with the cash. Then the 29 pickup showed up running and driving on the same row next moring.
It sold for $5300 right away. The 2 signs were priced at $1200 each. I did buy a 1967 Honda 305 Dream a few rows over (the red one) and am riding it around time.
Picked up a set of General Jumbo Giant wheels and hubcaps for my coupe.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote