Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default B carb problem

Need some Fordbarn input. Been rebuilding A carbs for years but new to "B" carbs. My Model A runs fine on her "A" carburetor - just completed over 600 miles to Texas Tour and back. She had brumfield head with B cam. Heree is the problem. In order to pick up a couple more Horsepowers i have installed a reamed out A intake manifold to 1 and 1/4". Rebuilt two "B" carburetors using Sacremnto Vintage "B" kits. Main Jet metered at 146 cc/min, Cap jet at 400cc/min, idle jet at 49 cc/min, compensator at 115 cc/min and power jet at 115 cc/min. These are numbers supplied by SVA and re checked on my flow gauge. Installed on the model A and get awful results. At idle she does OK, but top speed of 50mph and at 45 begins to caugh, spit and sputter ad if running out of gas. Both carburetors get same problems. Any suggestions?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: B carb problem

What did you do when you rebuilt them? Did you remove all the passage plugs in the lower body and remove the press fit GAV housing and chase all the passages? If not then I am not surprised if you have trouble.

Just because the passages seem to be open to some air flow or carb cleaner does not mean they are not restricted. Also, the bottom of the GAV is usually plugged with sediment.

A year ago I went through two B carbs someone else "rebuilt" for a friend. Both had been bead blasted and made pretty, but were plugged solid in the passages. Pretty much guaranteed not to work.

<ul>[*]Vince's Ford Garage[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I found that my "B's" likes thier FUEL level between 1/2 and 5/8 inch below the top of the casting. Above 1/2 inch and it's about the tip end of the main jet causing a constant fuel leak,below 5/8 and it leans out on the top end and stalls at stop signs.

As little as a 1/16 inch in fuel level caused noticeable changes for me.

Also use the orignal jets, if possible. The orignals have a concaved tip and repo's a domed tip that causes problems.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Ken, the problem could be your fuel inlet orfice. A few years ago Dave Renner wrote an article for "secrets of Speed Magazine" describing a similar problem caused by a D&G float valve with a .081" inlet orfice. He recommended a Snyders float valve. Contact Dave at Dave Renner, 10320 E. austin, Manchester, MI 48148. Tel. 734-428-1090