Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
nelsb01

Default Something to ponder - Hershey 2022

The lady in my life didn't have any snow to shovel today (ok, I am out there with her), and with the temperature well below the zero number, she grabbed her IPad and started checking things out for the year. She got us good rooms for Daytona, Phoenix and Talladega, and then looked out to October and Hershey. We used to stay in a Mom & Pop place in Annville. They sold and are now appartments, so in 2021 we found a new place, closer to the fields (now 5 miles) and enjoyed the rate of about $215 a night.
She keyed in the information and dates in our 'new' Hershey place and 'holy crap Batman' it has jumped to $499 a night during the Hershey week.

Anyone else check their lodge prices recently? Has the good lodging fairy gotten real greedy?
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Something to ponder - Hershey 2022

I sleep in my car, cost hasn't changed much---for 449 I could put a station wagon on the road, improved lodging, and can bring more home
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #3
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I sleep in my car, cost hasn't changed much---for 449 I could put a station wagon on the road, improved lodging, and can bring more home
Pure genius!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
nickthebandit

I used to stay at the Travel Inn, exit 10 on I-78 in Myerstown, Pa. It is about 1/2 hour from Hershey. Much less than $ 100.00 per night. After you get up, go west one exit to get to Esther's restaraunt for a good breakfast. Esther's is on route 222, so continue west to Hershey. I used to get up at 6:00 AM, be at Esther's by 7:00 AM, and be at Hershey about 8:15 before most of the vendor's opened up. Why pay the inflated price for a room?
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
dave collette

Hi Bruce,
We stay at the Hampton/Mt. Joy. Very nice. Last year $134 a night. This year rates have gone up; each night is a bit more than the last. We are paying over $200 (for the week) more than last year. Still better than what you quoted. Wow! Call if you want specifics.
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Luckily I have family living about a half hour from Hershey and they have always invited me to stay with them while I attend the meet. The extra bonus for me is I get to spend time with my twin granddaughters as well. Also, whatever I save in hotel expenses can be wisely spent on more early Ford V-8 parts that I really don't need

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #7
nelsb01

To let you know, the lady found a place 3 blocks down the road for just about what we were paying in 2021.
And we get breakfast, And it is only 18 months since it opened, so we are talking new construction.

Like I alluded to --- think the place we were staying, saw what the Hotel Hershey was charging and thought they were on the same level. NOT!

They were relatively new owners.
So, all is well and in some cases better. Sure do miss the Mom & Pop place, but can't fault them for selling,

At least we are staying in Hershey and not a town called Paradise, Bird in Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse or Virginville. All towns in the PA Dutch Country. (I have the refrigerator magnet to prove it)

Last edited by nelsb01; 01-08-2022 at 12:28 PM.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
The lady in my life didn't have any snow to shovel today (ok, I am out there with her), and with the temperature well below the zero number, she grabbed her IPad and started checking things out for the year. She got us good rooms for Daytona, Phoenix and Talladega, and then looked out to October and Hershey. We used to stay in a Mom & Pop place in Annville. They sold and are now appartments, so in 2021 we found a new place, closer to the fields (now 5 miles) and enjoyed the rate of about $215 a night.
She keyed in the information and dates in our 'new' Hershey place and 'holy crap Batman' it has jumped to $499 a night during the Hershey week.

Anyone else check their lodge prices recently? Has the good lodging fairy gotten real greedy?
Bruce, they probably thought you wanted the Presidential Suite

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bruce, they probably thought you wanted the Presidential Suite
John, you’re not paying attention. Bruce always gets the Bridal suite!
Old 01-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
tom1948

Talking Re: Something to ponder - Hershey 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
To let you know, the lady found a place 3 blocks down the road for just about what we were paying in 2021.
And we get breakfast, And it is only 18 months since it opened, so we are talking new construction.

Like I alluded to --- think the place we were staying, saw what the Hotel Hershey was charging and thought they were on the same level. NOT!

They were relatively new owners.
So, all is well and in some cases better. Sure do miss the Mom & Pop place, but can't fault them for selling,

At least we are staying in Hershey and not a town called Paradise, Bird in Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse or Virginville. All towns in the PA Dutch Country. (I have the refrigerator magnet to prove it)
I grew up in that area, the layout of the road is:1st you go through a small village named Fertility,2nd you go through Intercourse, then you get to Paradise

Last edited by tom1948; 01-08-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: correct punctuation
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
mhsprecher

I typically camp with some fellow club members right across from Giant Center. A bit rustic, but enjoyable. When my wife joins me, we stay in a hotel.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote