Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default aircraft type steel tubing

I just saw this term used in a posting on door lock set screws but I am not familiar with that term. I'm looking for a spacer/joiner tube with interior threads for a 3/16 OD rod. My local Ace guy can't help me. I am not sure he even understands me. I am attempting to cut a looooong "throttle rod" with the spring loaded ends and make a shorter adjustable one out of it. I do not know the correct nomenclature for the piece of interior threaded tubing I am looking for. Can anyone help with the nomenclature and source of such an animal? I hope I am clear as to what I am looking for and that someone can help me with a source. I just need a piece about 3" long. Thanks, Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
rufus39

Default Re: aircraft type steel tubing

Lawson , is this in the Ballpark as to what you are looking for ?
Try this link....
https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-tubes/length~3-16/
rufus39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
Dan in MI

Thy this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/internally-threaded-rods/
Dan in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
PeteVS

Thread sizes smaller than 1/4" are designated by a numerical size. So, except for Home Depot hardware, there isn't really a "3/16" thread size. That said, #10 threads are very close to being 3/16. For most US thread sizes, there are "coarse" threads and "fine" threads. #10 coarse threads are 24 threads per inch. Fine threads are 32 threads per inch. For each of these size/pitch combinations, there's a recommended "tap drill" size which will result in a good thread when tapped. For a #10-24 tap, using a #25 (.149) tap drill is recommended. If you use a smaller drill, it might be difficult to tap. If you use a slightly larger drill, it will be much easier to tap but the resulting thread might not have the desired strength to prevent being pulled out. Likewise, a #10-32 thread recommends using a #21 (.159) tap drill. Simplifying things, if you're looking for a tubing size to use without having to drill anything, try to find something with a 5/32 diameter. I'm thinking that 3/16 tubing for brake lines is going to be too small and 1/4 brake line tubing would be too big. Maybe you could braze a piece of 3/16 tubing into a length of 1/4", drill that out and tap it.
Sorry for the long winded explanation but....

Just saw Dan's response. Looks like he hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
johndee138

Look for coupling nuts at the hardware store
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
woodiewagon46

If you are joining threaded rod you can use "threaded rod coupler nut's". Any good hardware store has them and McMaster-Carr also has them.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Bob C

Like Pete said your not going to find anything with 3/16" threads. 3/16" is .1875
a #8 screw is .164 and a #10 is .190. The 3/16" might work if it is slightly oversize.

I think this is what you are looking for. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/157714/10002/-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 3.50.58 PM.jpg (4.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 11-14-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
woodiewagon46

Lawson, if you google McMaster-Carr 90264A425, It's the same as what Bob C. is showing but smaller in length.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Hey, "All Y'all". As I have often said, this site is truly awesome, with a whole slew of knowledgeable folk just chomping at the bit to help others with all sorts of questions relating to flathead Fords, even the minutia. Thanks again to all who responded. McMaster Carr completely slipped my mind, and I have gone to them many times for many things. I'm calling them first thing in the morning.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 11-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
Jack E/NJ

Lawson >>>My local Ace guy can't help me. I am not sure he even understands me.>>>

I seem to vaguely recall a fix to similar dilemma not too long ago. Yep. I googled it. And here it is. Fellow said It should be easy enough to cut my NOS 18+ inch rod in two, thread it and use a threaded rod union to connect the two pieces back together.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2071848
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Lawson >>>My local Ace guy can't help me. I am not sure he even understands me.>>>

I seem to vaguely recall a fix to similar dilemma not too long ago. Yep. I googled it. And here it is. Fellow said It should be easy enough to cut my NOS 18+ inch rod in two, thread it and use a threaded rod union to connect the two pieces back together.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2071848

Hey Jack E/NJ. Thanks for the refresher course on just how much, and how quickly the aging mind forgets. Maybe I just need to hit the archives to see if I have previously asked a question before asking it, again. ROFLMAO. Lawson

A caveat if I might. My first posting was about how to make an adjustable rod where my current post is about where to obtain it the part. (Does that restore at least a part of my credibility? LOL

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 11-15-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #12
38bill

There is always this. They are slightly adjustable.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Searc...d%20connectors
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #13
GB SISSON

But didn't Dan get the answer back in post #3? the 10/24 internally threaded rod? Maybe I'm missing something. It happens a lot
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
Jack E/NJ

Unlike internally threaded tubes, internally threaded rods haven't been invented yet. 8^)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #15
rotorwrench

In aerospace hardware, a -3 or 3/16" bolt has a 10/32 thread. There are some Heim type spherical rod ends that are actually made with that small a thread and are generally used in engine throttle controls. Most are sizes 1/4-28 or larger but the 10/32 are the smallest ones I've seen.

When folks refer to aircraft steel tubing, they are generally referring to thin wall chrome molly steel structural tubing used to build aircraft tube frame structures for fuselages and engine mounts. Each successively larger size will fit inside the next size up. Wall thickness varies so most ID/OD sizes follow the wall thickness.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
In aerospace hardware, a -3 or 3/16" bolt has a 10/32 thread. There are some Heim type spherical rod ends that are actually made with that small a thread and are generally used in engine throttle controls. Most are sizes 1/4-28 or larger but the 10/32 are the smallest ones I've seen.

When folks refer to aircraft steel tubing, they are generally referring to thin wall chrome molly steel structural tubing used to build aircraft tube frame structures for fuselages and engine mounts. Each successively larger size will fit inside the next size up. Wall thickness varies so most ID/OD sizes follow the wall thickness.
Thanks. That's good info to have.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
BoxCar Tom

don't you want a turnbuckle so that when you turn it one way it gets shorter, turn it the opposite it gets longer?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #18
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
don't you want a turnbuckle so that when you turn it one way it gets shorter, turn it the opposite it gets longer?
Yes. I guess. . I'm just thinking of a threaded tube, OD about 5/16 and tapped for a 10/24 threaded rod. I need it about 3" long. That's about all I can wrap my mind around right now. (Grin)

Old 11-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Unlike internally threaded tubes, internally threaded rods haven't been invented yet. 8^)
I think McMaster-Carr just invented them, but I get it. They really should have called it a tube.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #20
Jack E/NJ

Lowes has just what you want Lawson. For a $1.98. It's an extruded threaded tube that looks like a turnbuckle. They have other sizes too. You can have a long chat with the nice lady on line to try to get whatever you want. 8^)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubing.jpg (37.7 KB, 170 views)