Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
rbassemir

Default New Horns not working

I have ordered a set of horns from Ecklers. When they arrived the left one did not work the right one did. I returned the left one. A new left one arrived and it does not work either. Frustrating!

I called Ecklers again and they said out of 15 shipped only 2 were returned (one was the first horn I returned). They are sending me a shipping label and will send me a fourth horn. They said they would test the horn before they ship it to me.

I'm just wondering if others experienced this issue. Maybe there is a trick to getting them to work the first time, like hit the horn with 12 volts to wake it up. Or maybe they are sending me 12 volt horns instead of 6 volt horns.

I did not try applying 12 volts... I don't want to damage a $240 horn.

Am I just unlucky???
rbassemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: New Horns not working

The original 35 horn wiring did not use a horn relay. Are you using a relay? There is a reason Ford added the horn relay on later models (38). Did you check the horns with a direct connection to the battery?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
rbassemir

Yep, A direct connection to the battery and nothing. Did not even sound like it was trying to honk. Doing the same to the right hand horn and I get a good honk.

Using the existing wiring with the "good" horn I barely get any honk. I suspect the old wiring has dirty connections and is dropping voltage. For example, I have 6.5 volts on the horn wires when I hit the horn button. That is 6.5 volts before it is connected to the good horn.

When I connect the good horn and hit the horn button, it drops down to about 2 volts. My conclusion is the resistance in the wire and connections is dropping voltage when the horn draws a lot of amps.

So not only do I new a new horn, I think I need to put in a horn relay and with some 18 gauge wire in the horn circuit to provide a better connection to the battery.

Rich
rbassemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If your not going 100% original, I would add the relay. Sounds like the horns are bad, hopefully the next one will work!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
FrankWest

I would return those horns and look for authentic ones. I am not sure the replicas have the same sound as the originals? And the replicas cost as much as the originals.

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-12-2019 at 08:11 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
mrtexas

Probably just need adjustment. They are very sensitive to adjustment.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The old horns were mostly adjusted by the amount of current they would draw. The points should be clean and closed with the horn at rest. Adjustment of the points should be done with a good amp meter in the line. The armature has to be free with proper air gap and no metal shavings or other debris in there so the it can move properly. stuff is sometimes picked up on the coil when it is energized. They are a pretty good electromagnet when energized.

A lot of the reproduction crap had plastic parts inside so you never know how reliable they will be or in this case, whether they will even work or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Steve/IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbassemir View Post
Yep, A direct connection to the battery and nothing. Did not even sound like it was trying to honk. Doing the same to the right hand horn and I get a good honk.

Using the existing wiring with the "good" horn I barely get any honk. I suspect the old wiring has dirty connections and is dropping voltage. For example, I have 6.5 volts on the horn wires when I hit the horn button. That is 6.5 volts before it is connected to the good horn.

When I connect the good horn and hit the horn button, it drops down to about 2 volts. My conclusion is the resistance in the wire and connections is dropping voltage when the horn draws a lot of amps.

So not only do I new a new horn, I think I need to put in a horn relay and with some 18 gauge wire in the horn circuit to provide a better connection to the battery.

Rich

Rich,
I would suggest that you use 16 gauge wire on the control circuit of the relay and at least 14 gauge wire on the battery circuit of the relay.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
AnthonyG

Anyone know anybody / service that will recondition stock ones? My ‘35 horns need it!
Old 12-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
FireEngineMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Anyone know anybody / service that will recondition stock ones? My ‘35 horns need it!
Probably not much help, but I saw a horn repair booth at the Wampsville, NY (MohicanModelA.weebly.com) show a few years ago. Maybe they can provide contact info.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote