Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
rockfla

Default 39 Mecury question

Okay,
I've posted on this subject before......I'll try again!!! We are talking 1939 Mercury and in particular, choke knob/cables. I have a "early" 39 Mercury which I believe the answer IS that fact, it's a very early car!!!! BUT as one can see, my choke cable end is "Square" and trying to attach a pull to it is "impossible" (cannot find anyone OR anyway to attach the knob to the square). I found a "patina'd" knob on ebay BUT as one can see the cable attachment is a "blade" not "square" SO what's the deal?? Manufacturing change, how to change one from the other?? ANY Suggestions????

Thanks
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 39 Mecury question

Modify the end of your metal choke cable rod to make it the shape it has to be to fit the knob. Your could do this by building rod up with epoxy and then filing it to needed shape or adding "braze" to the rod and filing it to shape so as to fit the knob. Then use a dab of epoxy or a tiny set screw to secure the knob.

That knob is probably made of cellulose plastic and is very fragile so be careful if you drill and tap it for a set screw.

I bet you could actually make a new knob by hand from plastic and make it look like the original. I bet you could even cast a new knob by making a silicone rubber mold. Would be fun to try.

LOOK HERE:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Modify the end of your metal choke cable rod to make it the shape it has to be to fit the knob. Your could do this by building rod up with epoxy and then filing it to needed shape or adding "braze" to the rod and filing it to shape so as to fit the knob. Then use a dab of epoxy or a tiny set screw to secure the knob.

That knob is probably made of cellulose plastic and is very fragile so be careful if you drill and tap it for a set screw.

I bet you could actually make a new knob by hand from plastic and make it look like the original. I bet you could even cast a new knob by making a silicone rubber mold. Would be fun to try.

LOOK HERE:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I have a good friend who could cast me a new knob with absolutely no problem but as you see from the old knob I have epoxies/JB welds DON"T work AND IF he cast me a new knob I still have to come up with SOME WAY of attaching it. The only way I can think of in that vein is to cast in two halves and super glue them together over the "square" protrusion AND i will not match the patina of the rest of the knobs. Otherwise some form of (as mentioned) drilling and tapping OR replacement is next on the list. Going to the "blade" I guess will require not only the replacement of the knob BUT also the cable AND the excutsheon in the dash as well??
Old 03-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
rockfla

19Forty
My bigger question IS......WHERE did they pull this from or WHY is mine square.......FORD had to have pulled this part from somewhere (Current or slightly previous years production one would think)??? BUT yet nobody here on the barn seems to have ANY experience with a cable like this???? NONE of the aftermarket products are made for OR like it???? AND "IF" they had them made for Mercury specifically then "WHY" the change??? Baffled to say the least!!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Newc

Well; early '39 Fords also had some issues. My '39 dlx uses cables for choke/throttle. I'm changing them to the 'normal' rods and assorted parts. the early parts are not supported by Ford or repops. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
19Fordy

Rockfla: Your questions are good ones but, very hard to answer. Check out C& G knobs here: 99A is a Mercury part prefix?
https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfi...tle_knobs.html

Check out this Ebay offering:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Mercur...-/114591550784

Also, since epoxy doesn't seem to be working for you try roof tile adhesive. It's super strong, sticks to almost everything and gets hard as a rock. You could drill and tap id for threading if needed.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/OSI-RT60...0372/204751813

Seems like the best idea would be to buy the C and G piece as a good starting point for modification ideas. That way you won't harm your OEM knob experimenting.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-19-2021 at 12:49 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Rockfla: Your questions are good ones but, very hard to answer. Check out C& G knobs here: Is 99 a Mercury part prefix?
https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfi...tle_knobs.html
"99A-" equates to 1939 Merc! BUT....rockfla's car is very early, and could easily be an oddball! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"99A-" equates to 1939 Merc! BUT....rockfla's car is very early, and could easily be an oddball! DD
V8Coopman, oddball indeed. One day I will set about photo documenting all the apparent early/late differences. Hopefully when that time comes I can remember them all??
Old 03-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Suspect you have a later cable in the car. Which for obvious reasons is square to keep the knob from rotating.
What would I do? Mill the shape of the cable end into the knob and epoxy or urethane glue in place making sure the horizontal orientation is correct.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 choke.JPG (74.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1939MercChoke4.jpg (48.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 03-19-2021 at 05:24 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
tubman

Completely of-topic, but I have to ask what problems you have had with "JB Weld"? I have been able to do some remarkable repairs with it and it has always served me well. I repaired a Corvette vent window regulator this it about 12 years ago, and is has been perfect ever since. The repair consisted of building up an area the was then re-drilled and tapped to accept a bolt to help hold the whole thing together.

As you can probably see, I'm a fan.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote