Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #21
Bluebell

Default Re: No oil pressure

Here is the long fitting from the top hole in the Canadian engine. This is just for others info.
I would just stress to Burly that there may be no plug in the cross drilling. He needs to make sure the pump is primed and working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160905_095045.jpg (41.9 KB, 57 views)
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Sounds like I definitely need to remove grub screw if I not running a filter? Much obliged fellas!

You state in your first post it has not been machined to 95% flow and in your above statement you state you need to remove grub screw???
If there is a screw in there it has been converted for filtration purposes.
Two conflicting statements. Remove the horizontal passage plug and see how deep the hole is with a 6" coat hanger wire and you are done.It will hit a grub if one is installed.If no screw discovered then your troubles are somewhere else.Who assembled the engine.

R
You're right Ronnie. My bad! What I should have said originally was that "I didn't have it machined for 95% flow" but after I described what I had and after reading some of the responses folks were kind enough to send I was able to determine it had been machined for the 95% and that there could be a grub screw present, prior to that I all I knew was my old engine had 2 holes on the bell housing where this new one had 3 and that it was registering zero oil pressure. I purchased the engine from a gentleman who had the engine rebuilt for a project after which he found out would not adapt to his transmission of choice so he opted for an overhead valve and sold the flathead. I haven't met the gentleman who assembled the engine but have briefly talked with him on the phone. He seemed knowledgeable and has supposedly built numerous flatheads and model A engines.
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #23
burly

Well guys no grub screw was present. Poured oil down the middle outlet hole, removed spark plugs and spun it over and it went to forcing oil right back out. Installed the spark plugs and re-attached the mechanical oil gauge. Fired her up, zero oil pressure, shut it back down. removed copper line from rear of gauge and started, a drop or 2 of oil then nothing? Shut it back down removed copper line and slipped a clear tube over the oil line fitting in bell housing, spun it over and it starts forcing oil back up the clear tube. Removed oil line fitting and installed original electric oil sending unit, fired it up and it's showing about 10 psi at idle and about 20 psi max as you increase RPMs. Sounds kind of low to me but builder rebuilt and used original oil pump rather than replace? Is that adequate pressure for an early 24 stud? Again thanks to all who have replied and sent pictures! You've been a great help.
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sure beats zero! It is on the low side but will not damage the engine. The orginal gauges are only a rough estimate of oil pressure. Need to get a good gauge hooked up. Connect it to a different port and leave your original where it is
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
Bluebell

Good news Burly.
Is this the 50 lb sender, 80lb gauge issue?
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #26
Capt Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Good news Burly.
Is this the 50 lb sender, 80lb gauge issue?
Or vice-versa?
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #27
scooder

Next step is to fit a working mechanical oil pressure gauge. That will tell you the truth, the original electric setup was as told above an approximation. Mix 80 and 50 lb stuff and it shows you that it's got some oil pressure at idle, and some more at higher rpm.
Don't be concerned with the numbers you got now, find the true pressure and go from there.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #28
Ronnie

Where did you dig up that mechanical gauge.It appears to be a dead player.You sound like there is some pressure a serviceable mechanical gauge will tell you where you are.

R
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote