Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
pooch

Default Oz NSW brake testing

Dunno about other states, but here in NSW, we have to have a yearly inspection which involves an electronic brake test .

My last build has solid core sparkplug wires, and it upsets their machine.

The first dude to try to a brake test a year ago was almost crying when he found out I had solid wires.

He said the last time he came across this, his machine had to go back to the service centre to be calibrated.

Just a bit of trivia, in case any other newsouthwelshmen have mechanics scratching their head why their brake tester won't wotk.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Oz NSW brake testing

Lucky fella we are every 6 months on older cars , Rolling road test, So one finds a garage that can only do a driving test , If it skids the wheels then it passes but its $50, Whats a electronic brake test ???
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
pooch

A portable machine that sits on the passenger seat with a clip on to the brake pedal sensor.

Get to 30 KPH and stop.

It senses brake pressure on pedal and G reading .

I have had some sympathetic mechanics over the years.

One older one who has now retired used to let me sit machine on my lap and move it quickly backwards as he stomped on pedal.

Others that know me just do a test in another car with my number plate dialled in.

Hope big brother ain't monitoring this.....

Then again, I had one arsehole mechanic who set the machine to a passenger car under 2.5 tonne rating and went all over town skidding the brakes, and came back with my rear tyres in shreds and failed me, not just for bad brakes, but for bald tyres.

I told the idiot that this motorhome was over 2.5 tonnes and the machine can be set for a lower rating of G force.

The turkey would not believe me, until I showed him where it was in the rules.

Last edited by pooch; 12-30-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Synchro909

Thank goodness we don't have regular inspections like that. Those testers and engineers are the dumbest smart people out there!
BTW, we did a test like that recently at a club workshop on brakes. Mine came in at 0.75 G and stop from 20 mph (about 30Kph, like yours) in 20 feet (6.1 metres). Pass???
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
Lawrie

Come to QLD, no tests required,just expensive rego.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Thank goodness we don't have regular inspections like that. Those testers and engineers are the dumbest smart people out there!
BTW, we did a test like that recently at a club workshop on brakes. Mine came in at 0.75 G and stop from 20 mph (about 30Kph, like yours) in 20 feet (6.1 metres). Pass???
Dunno Synchro.

The print out ticket says something like % and force, I dunno what the parameters are.

It just says pass or fail as well.

I know if you have a hydraulic single system, the handbrake has to be checked as well.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
daveymc29

Aren't most car inspectors like the ones in other trades? They tried working a trade, failed at that, so they get their jollies failing the honest mechanic in the trades. Seen it often in carpentry. A-holes that haven't a clue telling someone that builds for a living what will or won't be allowed. (because.........) BS
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
john charlton

Both my 28 phaeton and 31 P/U ride on the bones of rodded cars so they would not be on the road without the organ transplant . Sadly in the UK quite a few AA trucks have died for keeps as rodders buy them for the sheet metal ,cab and title ( looking at a chopped top AA truck cab is not a pretty sight ) There is little call for the AA running gear so after the engine has been sold the rest usually goes for scrap .Rather like shooting an elephant to get its tusks.A rod shop once offered me 3 complete AA bevel back axles for equiv $150 for all . At that time I had nowhere to put them so they did go for scrap ,sad but true . Any AA truck that comes up for sale here has a very good chance of ceasing to exist .

Johyn in sunny New Years Eve Suffolk County England .
Happy New Year to to all !!! May you enjoy good health and prosper .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote