Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
37coop

Default drake at tahoe

hi guys my first post ...I need some parts for my imported to here in the u.k 1951 f1 truck , I,m going to Tahoe for the v8 club bash so I phoned drake to place an order to collect at the event (my putor messed me about when I tried to order online ) the salesman answered the call ,I told him what I wanted to do and the phone went dead ....I re-phoned and spoke to the same person and explained I wanted to place an order to be collected at lake Tahoe where drake will be present , the salesman told me that drake will have no stock there and wont take my order to be collected there ,when I asked the point of drake being there he said it was for appearance and to ,distribute catalogues,i told him I was lead to believe if an order was placed 2 weeks before the event it could be collected,he repeated what he said ......I cant believe this is the case,i,m a bit pd off over this , I emailed drake to ask them to confirm what he said but had no reply, any idea what is happening with drake at the event ? I honestly cant believe he will be there and not sell,thanks ....jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Cecil/WV

Default Re: drake at tahoe

He was at the meet last year in Ga. and didn't have a booth there. He was just in attendance, enjoying the good times.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Ken Bull

Bob Drake Always brings parts to sell at Fall Hershey. I would schedule a part pickup at that time. If youve never been to Hershey its a must do at least once anyway. Oh and plan on staying 3 days to see all.
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

i know in the past he has offered to do that for the L. A. Roadster show, where he was selling parts, etc...Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
johnny

order the parts and have them sent to your hotel.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
toddle321

Income/sales tax rules in certain states can make it very costly for vendors to do temporary business, like at a show. Not saying that's the case here, but could be.
toddle321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
TJ

I think we have to realize that sometimes those vendors who sell parts would just like to come to an event and enjoy themselves. They do not want to be bothered with taking orders or selling parts. When you are in business and do this all day long sometimes you just need a break to have some fun.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
OLD...BILL

WELL NUTTTTTTS; I was going to exchange a miss order ( on my part ) front bumper braces, so I could show I keep the box in good order,and only unwrapped only one half. and saw it would not fit... wrong location bolts on there new stainless bumper ?? ...
HEY BOB: care to jump in here, your a long time friend of the Fordbarn, 'old and new' and have done so in the past..... OLDer...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
296 V8
BANNED

Maybe the man just wants to go to a car show / event and not work …… you don’t have USPS or UPS were you live?
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
woodiewagon46

It takes a ton of money for Drake to bring his "roadshow" to a car show. I don't know if you have ever seen his set up. Tahoe is probably too small (600) cars to make any money. I see Drake at NSRA, Louisville, but that is about 10,000 cars and thousands of spectators. That being said, I think if you explained your situation to Bob (not one of his telephone people), he might be willing to help you.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
hotrodA

Any F'Barners coming to Tahoe from Oregon who could pick them up for you at Drake's?
A FB relay of sorts.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
37coop

thanks for your reply,s . I can now understand the issues with drake and the expense etc of attending a show like Tahoe ,a reply to a couple of the posts on this subject. I,v been to Hershey twice in the 90s ,great memorable events .I,m sure I,m not alone in trying to save some hard earned cash,this hobby is very expensive particularly for us brits who have to pay to ship and then hit with a large tax and handling bill when it arrives, of course we have u.p.s etc and the parts I need can be sent here but the trip to Tahoe is going to cost my wife and myself plenty so if I can save by collecting my order .....well to me it makes sense,unless you are made of money it should make sense to you also. thanks , jim.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
aussiesteve

As was said,Order the parts and have them shipped to your hotel in tahoe
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Mike B

Maybe post for help in delivering parts to Tahoe for you?

i/e Anyone care to deliver me parts to Tahoe, if so I will have Drake ship them to you.

Another thought, would Drake send to a Post Office in Tahoe for General Delivery? Maybe to a UPS Store (who ever he ships with), etc, and you can pick them up there.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
296 V8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
thanks for your reply,s . I can now understand the issues with drake and the expense etc of attending a show like Tahoe ,a reply to a couple of the posts on this subject. I,v been to Hershey twice in the 90s ,great memorable events .I,m sure I,m not alone in trying to save some hard earned cash,this hobby is very expensive particularly for us brits who have to pay to ship and then hit with a large tax and handling bill when it arrives, of course we have u.p.s etc and the parts I need can be sent here but the trip to Tahoe is going to cost my wife and myself plenty so if I can save by collecting my order .....well to me it makes sense,unless you are made of money it should make sense to you also. thanks , jim.
No way of knowing you were in the UK
Iv seen Drake have a vender spot at the LA roadster show … that’s this month
Or
Id don’t live far from Tahoe … you could pick up from me.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #16
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bull View Post
Bob Drake Always brings parts to sell at Fall Hershey. I would schedule a part pickup at that time. If youve never been to Hershey its a must do at least once anyway. Oh and plan on staying 3 days to see all.
Ken, If you can see all of Hershey in 3 Day's you have a pair of "LONG" legs
there Guy. LOL LOL I think a speed walker would have trouble seeing it all in 3 Days JMO
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
37coop

order to the hotel is the answer ,I assume the hotel would be happy to hold it for me , looking forward to the event , but not the boring 11 hour flight , many thanks , cheers jim.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
37coop

thanks 296...very kind offer ,I,v decided to order and collect at the event hotel, the bit I couldn't understand is drake stated any orders placed 2 weeks before can be collected at the event , the thing trhat pd me off was the salesmans attitude at the other end of the phone cheers jim.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Jim, I may have missed this in your previous posts but I was wondering where you are in the UK? I've met up with maybe six to eight V8er's and early Ford Hotroder's during trips to England. Have ridden in some nice old Fords around Frome and Warminster areas.
Might be good to include your general location in your Avatar (City, County, Country).
Hope to get to meet you at Tahoe.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Ken, If you can see all of Hershey in 3 Day's you have a pair of "LONG" legs
there Guy. LOL LOL I think a speed walker would have trouble seeing it all in 3 Days JMO
Hey Bill, I once saw all of the Hershey show in less than 3 minutes,.....
while looking at some aerial photographs that a guy had taken yuk yuk yuk

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-02-2013 at 05:13 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote