Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
qmdv

Default 3 window and 5 window coupes

All the Model A coupes were 5 window. I have alway wondered why the heck Ford went to the trouble of offering both a 3 window and a 5 window coupe for quite a few years. I alway thought that Henry wanted to keep things simple.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: 3 window and 5 window coupes

Not sure why, but really glad they made the three windows, I think they were a much more sleek look than the five window. Probably made for the younger market.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
DavidG

How about all those Model A sport coupes? Even counting the windshield they only had four windows.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
Tinker

Roadsters had 1. kind of...

Same here. glad he did. Also ,without henry, 50s business coupes. why?

Too bad the Edsel didn't do well. Super neat car.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
How about all those Model A sport coupes? Even counting the windshield they only had four windows.
Forgot all about them
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
Tudortomnz

The 3W Coupe was being contemplated from 1930 ; a prototype was done & Edsel had another made up in '31 which still exists. [ see pics Ford Garage site] These did not have the front opening [suicide] door but were still 3W with steel top. By '32 open cars were not so popular so maybe Ford was looking to make sales with other models & increased their Coupe range. It was the Depression & many buyers could not afford an expensive make but could buy a deluxe Ford ; Ford had introduced the deluxe 400A & Victoria Coupe for '31 plus they had the Cabriolet which was really a deluxe Coupe also. The '32 3W introduced the European design look that interested Edsel & Bob Gregorie & this carried on for '33&'34. A classic design that is timeless & coveted by us all. Cheers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
Ken/Alabama

I do know that after being around and driving both the 3 & 5 window coupes of the 1932 line up , the 3 window with the longer door opening from the front makes it easier to get in and out.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I do know that after being around and driving both the 3 & 5 window coupes of the 1932 line up , the 3 window with the longer door opening from the front makes it easier to get in and out.
I wish I could afford a 3 window. I have a 32 5 window and even with my average feet, I sometimes have to contort my legs to get my feet between the seat and the door opening. I love the 5 windows look, but the 3 window has always been my favorite....as long as it has NOT been chopped to look like the plastic repros they sell.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
DavidG

Regarding the '32 3-window coupes compared to the 5-window coupes they have two shortcomings, namely they lack about 6" of wheelbase from a styling point of view and the blind quarters are a big minus when driving. (I've had multiples of both.) The '33-'34 3-window coupes solve the lack of wheelbase, but the blind quarters remain.

Driver access and egress aren't the best with the '32 five window coupes, sport coupes, and Fordors, but lots better than that of the pickups, station wagons, and other commercial vehicles (except the sedan delivery) and big trucks.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
rotorwrench

They compare in blind spots to some other cars that have been manufactured over the years. My 29 sport coupe is tough to see out of if you check your 3 or 9 o'clock. My 69 el Camino has the same blind spot. You really have to do some neck movement to look out for the 9 o'clock. All of them are popular designs but they have their draw backs. A person just has to have a limber neck to check your rear quarters. The rear view mirrors just aren't good enough.

I always thought that Edsel was trying to add a bit of the Lincoln design to the Deluxe coupes in that mid 30s era. They were getting into that improved air flow idea in that time frame. Chrysler took it a bit too far with the Airflow.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
DavidG

The best looking Ford Motor Company 3-window coupes, in my opinion, are the '32 KA, '33-'39 LeBaron bodied, and Zephyr Lincolns, all of which have long enough wheelbases to allow for longer hoods and rear decks to accentuate their greenhouses.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The longer the better for sure. A person has a bit more window to look out of but who cares. Gotta luv them Lincolns. They are just flat out beautiful.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Regarding the '32 3-window coupes compared to the 5-window coupes they have two shortcomings, namely they lack about 6" of wheelbase from a styling point of view and the blind quarters are a big minus when driving. (I've had multiples of both.) The '33-'34 3-window coupes solve the lack of wheelbase, but the blind quarters remain.

Driver access and egress aren't the best with the '32 five window coupes, sport coupes, and Fordors, but lots better than that of the pickups, station wagons, and other commercial vehicles (except the sedan delivery) and big trucks.
David
As soon as our Cabriolet is finished I will let you drive it and "See" what real "short comings" are all about. You will quickly see the Germans had absolutely "NO" concern for what was behind them. I mean NONE!!!! No real rear view mirror, NO real drivers outside mirror, its a "real" bear!!!! Not to mention entering and egress for both front and rear passengers is NO walk in the park either!!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The longer the better for sure. A person has a bit more window to look out of but who cares. Gotta luv them Lincolns. They are just flat out beautiful.
I agree! Love them long lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091C1A72-A307-4D0A-B7A3-DDAE7A6851B4.jpg (40.0 KB, 27 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
The 3W Coupe was being contemplated from 1930 ; a prototype was done & Edsel had another made up in '31 which still exists.

Here's an older pic of one of the Model "A" 3-W prototypes. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote