Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
DJS 1935FORDFORDORTOU

Default help on windowns

I need help with window glass removal and re-installation on my 1935 ford 4 door touring sedan. The glass either needs replaced or new bedding, Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DJS 1935FORDFORDORTOU; 11-05-2020 at 06:44 PM.
DJS 1935FORDFORDORTOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: help on windowns

Welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

Edit to add: What about the windows is not working? Knowing this helps us help you.

In the red bar, find a way to search. Have a go at seeing what's been posted on this since 2010. Sometimes Google search is better, YYMV. You'll find a good bit to get you started.

DJS, I suggest you keep coming back to this thread to continue the conversation instead of starting new ones for future but related questions, it's easier for the helpers to keep being helpful.

Now, we need a little more about the R&R project, what glass is going back in and why is it coming out? How put-together is the car? Your car has eight pieces of glass, which ones are on the table here? Are we talking points-judged or what level of functionality? Is the question of 'glass bugs' in play? Can you try to send some pics to give us reference of the job at hand?

I have a '35 Fordor Touring, but for this job your task is not model specific.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
DJS 1935FORDFORDORTOU

The car is together and restoration isn't for points-judged. I bought all new channels for the 4 doors and the movable quarter windows because the channels are disintegrated and the windows rattle. My problem is getting the glass out of the doors to either replace the glass with new in some doors and new bedding in all the windows in all 4 doors.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
VeryTangled

So the windows rattle?

There are two ways the windows were kept from doing that where they come up out of the door. 35 vs. 36 didn't one have 'whiskers' and one rubber bumpers? IIRC the '35 uses the rubber bumpers and mine are eighty years old and hard and shrunk and don't do the job.

The channels that guide the windows up and down are a job I haven't done, but I watched someone do a rear door... And I learned new words I'd never heard before, and went off to do my own thing before the deed was done because I got the hint that the battle was ON.

Is the issue that they're wobbly at the bottom of the glass in the mechanism, or wiggly in the channels when they're mostly up, or they rattle in all positions?

Any details of 'bought all new channels' can you give us?

Just trying to get to the helper experts with the correct diagnosis and course of action without going into left field along the way!

P.S. The real 'Jedi Masters' will come along soon. I'm still in training.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-05-2020 at 08:06 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

Edit to add: What about the windows is not working? Knowing this helps us help you.

In the red bar, find a way to search. Have a go at seeing what's been posted on this since 2010. Sometimes Google search is better, YYMV. You'll find a good bit to get you started.

DJS, I suggest you keep coming back to this thread to continue the conversation instead of starting new ones for future but related questions, it's easier for the helpers to keep being helpful.

Now, we need a little more about the R&R project, what glass is going back in and why is it coming out? How put-together is the car? Your car has eight pieces of glass, which ones are on the table here? Are we talking points-judged or what level of functionality? Is the question of 'glass bugs' in play? Can you try to send some pics to give us reference of the job at hand?

I have a '35 Fordor Touring, but for this job your task is not model specific.

It's been a while since I have done such so excuse my advice if wrong. One at least the front windows.. You will need to seperate the glass channel from the glass and the channel from the regulator. The glass needs to come out by itself and comes out sideways from how it sits installed. I install the glass run channels with them installed to the regulator, Quality glass bedding material, and a tiny bit of adhesive.
The glass can be removed with the channel installed if my memory serves me right, but you run the risk of chiping the paint on the door. I have to install glass on a 1935 here in a mere three weeks, and if it helps I will record and photograph the process.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
DJS 1935FORDFORDORTOU

Mine has the disintegrated rubber bumpers. The new channel kits have whisker guides that are inside the doors in front and back and aren't visible There is also channel that has stainless steel beading that wraps around the window opening except on the sill which is black whiskers and needs to be attached with screws. My problem, my inability to get the glass and bedding channel from the door. Because the driver's side front window was yellow and cracked, I simply broke it to remove. I think I've figured out re-installing the front glass but am frustrated trying to remove the back door glass.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Brian

The front windows have a pin and roller arrangement that pushes the window forward/backward via engagement in a slot attached to the glass channel. You need to wind window down and remove this pin/roller attachment via a 7/16 wrench and a screwdriver. Then wind window up... Rear windows, don't have that roller arrangement, so start with them wound up. Now, unscrew all the screws holding regulator to inner door panel. you can now drop the entire window and winder assembly into bottom of the door. There is two rollers on arms that run in channels attached to the bottom of each glass channel. Move regulator assembly forward, then back to disengage these rollers from their channels. Window is now separated from the regulator. Turn window through 90 degrees and lift up and out of the top of door. Remove regulator through the opening in inner door panel. Easy eh?
Actually, you may find having an assistant may help; gives you someone to swear at!!