Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Tomkelly88

Default 1940 Ford clutch link

Heyall,

Can anyone share a photo of a factory 1940 Ford clutch/transmission/pedal setup on a right hand drive car?

I'm doing the left to right hand drive swap here in Australia. I'm about to pop the engine and trans back in my convertible and wanting a head start on what it should look like, and identify if I'm missing any parts!

Thanks in advance, Tom
P1000145a.jpg
Tomkelly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #2
35ragtop

Default Re: 1940 Ford clutch link

Here is a pic of my swap. Ignore the square bar chatter rod. We were mucking about with ideas.
No problems encountered . The swap of the clutch linkage in the gearbox was probably the most tedious. I got a lever arm from an Aussie box.
regards Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedals .jpg (82.2 KB, 382 views)
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #3
Mart

It's hard to tell from the pic, but does that clutch linkage go straight to the gearbox (39 style) or does it have a relay lever as intro'd on the LHD 40 Fords?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkelly88 View Post
Heyall,

Can anyone share a photo of a factory 1940 Ford clutch/transmission/pedal setup on a right hand drive car?

I'm doing the left to right hand drive swap here in Australia. I'm about to pop the engine and trans back in my convertible and wanting a head start on what it should look like, and identify if I'm missing any parts!

Thanks in advance, Tom
Attachment 447783
Hello Tom.....This is a picture I found years ago from "somewhere". It's likely a '40 by observing the column shifter. ALSO notice what appears to be a dedicated RHD transmission case with the shift levers on the "Driver" side, opposite USA-types. The clutch LINKAGE appears to function SIMILAR TO an American '39 pedal set-up, but 'REVERSED'. I surely would like to see a better picture of that transmission. That transmission MIGHT be an early Lincoln Zephyr case with some sort of dedicated RHD shift cover. As unique as that pedal set obviously is, I wouldn't be surprised if an AUSSIE '39 pedal set could be used in your situation......BUT-I DO NOT KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE!! Hope this helps, and please keep us (especially me) up to date with pics. Picture below! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Tomkelly88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
It's hard to tell from the pic, but does that clutch linkage go straight to the gearbox (39 style) or does it have a relay lever as intro'd on the LHD 40 Fords?

Mart.
Hi Mart,

Yes looks like a straight shot from the pedal to the gearbox. no relay lever. needed.
I asked over on Facebook and received this photo to confirm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125876084_745440619385067_8656807063997632645_o.jpg (26.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Tomkelly88

Thanks for your replies very helpful and just what I needed.

Coopman, I feel like I've seen that photo before!
Yes the transmission is an opposite casting of the LHD version. pretty cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (66.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Hi Mart,

Yes looks like a straight shot from the pedal to the gearbox. no relay lever. needed.
I asked over on Facebook and received this photo to confirm.
Tom....Like I guessed above, your clutch pedal shaft looks very much like the American '39 clutch shaft, except reversed. Note the red '39 American pedal set....the shaft with zirk fitting actuates the clutch mechanism. That shaft goes through the brake pedal swivel and is attached to, and rotates with the clutch pedal. ONE year-only design. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks for your replies very helpful and just what I needed.

Coopman, I feel like I've seen that photo before!
Yes the transmission is an opposite casting of the LHD version. pretty cool!
Well....not EXACTLY, but close! Look at the spacing of the bolts holding the TOP of the side cover on. They are different, especially that TOP, REAR bolt.

Now, like I suspected, here is a '39 Lincoln Zephyr transmission case. The bolt spacing looks to be exactly like the LEFT transmission in your picture. A Lincoln trans case it seems to be. I believe at least '38 & '39 were the same. '40 Lincoln is different. (Thanks Ken/Alabama) DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
Mart

The pedals are not a reverse of the 39 setup, because the orientation of the clutch and brake pedals are the same regardless of hand of drive.

The RHD clutch pedal handily falls right next to the clutch release lever so if you look closely at that pic above you can see the pedal rising up above the lower part. In other words the pedal does not need to travel through the brake pivot like a LHD 39.

Mart.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
The pedals are not a reverse of the 39 setup, because the orientation of the clutch and brake pedals are the same regardless of hand of drive.

The RHD clutch pedal handily falls right next to the clutch release lever so if you look closely at that pic above you can see the pedal rising up above the lower part. In other words the pedal does not need to travel through the brake pivot like a LHD 39.

Mart.
You're right, Mart! If you'll look back at my statement up above, I said the "SHAFT" looked like the American shaft 'reversed'. In fact, now that I go back and look at this picture......

....as well as this picture of a RHD pedal set......

.....it looks like that's exactly what they did. They reversed that shaft end for end, and manufactured TWO dedicated pedals leaning toward the right. The BRAKE pedal has a lower hole bushed to shaft diameter so that it can oscillate. The CLUTCH pedal hole machined to shaft diameter and PINNED to shaft, as well as bushing the center shaft support hole in the bracket itself. That set-up would articulate all functions as necessary. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Tomkelly88

Good discussion.
Coopman the RHD case sure does look like that Lincoln one. I have two empty RHD cases in the shed, one is supposedly from 46, I'll see if its the same early 39 Lincoln style.

Will also try to get a better shot of the pedals, although they're not very photogenic.
As Mart said, the pedals are in the same order, there is no need for the shaft inside shaft arrangement. And they're specific castings for foreign (RHD) vehicles.

The RHD ones in my car have 37 written on them in texta, and feature one large diameter shaft shared by both pedals.
I recon I have a set of 40 ones too... (small diameter shaft) will have a look.

Installed the engine and trans, to confirm and measure up the clutch pivot and rod.
Straight shot, what was I worried about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20201119_130122.jpg (33.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Good discussion.
Coopman the RHD case sure does look like that Lincoln one. I have two empty RHD cases in the shed, one is supposedly from 46, I'll see if its the same early 39 Lincoln style.

As Mart said, the pedals are in the same order, there is no need for the shaft inside shaft arrangement. And they're specific castings for foreign (RHD) vehicles.

The RHD ones in my car have 37 written on them in texta, and feature one large diameter shaft shared by both pedals.
I recon I have a set of 40 ones too... (small diameter shaft) will have a look.
I'd surely be interested in seeing that pedal set in detail if you ever have it out again. I'd particularly be interested in numbers forged into the two pedals, and the diameter of that shaft. Is your clutch pedal "pinned" to that shaft? Surely, it must be! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Mart

I believe the pedals are like a LHD 40. Captive shaft in the bracket, both pedals bushed and rotating on the shaft. There's no need for any inside/outside trickery, as the clutch pedal automatically gets a straight shot at the clutch lever.

Could be wrong, though. A picture of the individual parts would be helpful.

Mart.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #14
Tomkelly88

Mart is on the money, the shaft is fixed to the mounting bracket. Removable but a press fit(?)

Here's some shots of my second set, these are prefixed 01A, from 1940.
Smaller shaft diameter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20201121_092900.jpg (27.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20201121_092949.jpg (53.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20201121_093016.jpg (31.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Mart is on the money, the shaft is fixed to the mounting bracket. Removable but a press fit(?)

Here's some shots of my second set, these are prefixed 01A, from 1940.
Smaller shaft diameter.
Ah....Now I can see that CLUTCH pedal clevis for the actuator rod. It just didn't look like that in that "gold-ish" picture you posted above. Makes perfectly good sense NOW.....just like Mart surmised. I'd be curious to know if that pedal BRACKET has a number AFTER the "01A-" of something SIMILAR to "2467" (01A-2467)? It appears to be the 'mirror' image of an American '40-'48 LHD bracket. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE