Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
johnbuckley

Default Across USA road trip

Toying with the idea of a road trip across USA. Need your local input USAers for this UK limey. It's not worth shipping my own A, so how feasible would it fly in, buy a Model A (maybe in advance) , tax it ,insure it then and drive across USA, then be able to sell it, all within a holiday time frame of say 6-7 weeks Any ideas/input gratefully received. What officialdom bureaucratic hurdles do I need to be aware of?

Last edited by johnbuckley; 04-23-2019 at 02:23 PM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Across USA road trip

WOW!! Do It!
Mechanic at the airlines I worked with -- when he would transfree to a new station - he would purchase an antique -- when he was transfreed out, sell the car usually for a more than he paid. He would do this until retirement.
Other than insurances/licenses, can't see a problem
Plz post often if you do this
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
ronn

this has been discussed at length on a thread here on the Barn. (Bike maniac)

Very well could be done. your time frame is good. I would buy on the east coast and sell on the west, because I think it would be more profitable then vs versa for resale.
I would buy an enclosed car, most likely a sedan.
If you need an address, PM me. Im in NJ.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
oldforder

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. BUT, I can forsee possible problems. Registering and licensing antique cars seems to be different in most every state. With an A you need to be sure all the numbers match, or some states won't let you license it. When it comes to selling it in a different state that you bought it in there is sometimes problems that can take a long time to get right. Also, I would think that you are going to want a fairly high dollar car, so as to be less chance of breakdowns. Then when it comes to sell it--- My luck would be, I would have to sell it for 1/2 of what I paid for it to sell it fast. But, maybe none of that is a problem for you!
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

I don't even see a problem with insurance or licensing.

To be sure you can call or email Grundy or Hagerty and explain what you are going to do and see if they would have any problems insuring you. I have taken a 2,000 mile road trip in one of my collector cars. I'm with Grundy. Although their policy states that the car is to be kept in a locked garage, they had no problem continuing the insurance when I called them and explained the trip I would be taking.

Also contact the state(s) that you are thinking of purchasing the car in and ask them about licensing (in the US, every state has different laws relative to registration and licensing).

I think it might be good to get 1-3 others interested in doing the same with you. Either fellow countrymen or folks from here. A big group would be more trouble than it's worth (MHO), but a few might make it more fun, more interesting, and safer.

I think a max of 200-250 miles a day would be my target. The car can probably do more, but I may not be able to . This would allow for stops at interesting spots, and an early end of the driving day to relax, service the car (and maybe have a beer? ). 6 weeks would be plenty of time to shake out any problems in the "new " car, do the 3,000 miles, and sell it at the end of the trip.

It would be great to live blog the trip. Another good reason to stop early in the day...to write the blog entry. By doing so, you may have a line up at your destination to purchase the now famous Model A.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
johnbuckley

Thanks , you have already touched on possible difficulties that I was unaware of ... As a non-USA national can I even purchase, tax and insure a car? Is getting proof of ownership/registering the car in my name a lengthy process, thus delaying the start? If I buy in say Fl can I sell in Ca?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Thanks , you have already touched on possible difficulties that I was unaware of ... As a non-USA national can I even purchase, tax and insure a car? Is getting proof of ownership/registering the car in my name a lengthy process, thus delaying the start? If I buy in say Fl can I sell in Ca?
My guess is that you may have to have a temporary address in the state where you register the car. If you buy the car in Washington State I can be that temporary addy for you. Best to check with the state(s) Department of Licensing/Deparment of Motor Vehicles, etc (also in the US, every state's vehicle licensing bureau has a different name ).

It is not normally a lengthy process. The simplest is to go to an office of the DOL/DMV of the state in which you purchase the car with the seller. The clerk will do the transfer of ownership in minutes. You will pay sales tax (rate depends on the state/county/city) and the license fees.

I have bought cars in a state other than the one I live in, registered it in my state, and sold it in a 3rd state. I don't see a problem with buying in Florida and selling in California. For peace of mind, contact both states to be sure.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Floats

Hi John,
What about taking your most reliable, most loved, car overseas.
It would be your most enjoyable, most adventurous endeavour ever, taking your own car, halfway across the world, to enjoy an unbelievable adventure.
There should be no problem taking your own car into another country, without changing the registration, licensing, etc.
Take it with you and at the end of your visit, bring it back. It might be a little more costly but you know your car and the best reward will be that you did it together. Imagine that.
We are privileged to visit our Daughter and her family, twice a year in the UK.
I have dreams of grandeur, taking my E Type from South Africa to visit them in the UK for a few months.
Just imagine driving your own car, warts and all, in another world for a few weeks.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
barnstuf

My nephew did the reverse of what you plan, about 35 years ago. He took his Massachusetts license plates with him to England. He bought a well used Ford Popular in England, phoned his insurance agent in Massachusetts who registered the car in USA for him and airmailed him the registration. He spent an entire year in Europe and drove in every country except he could not get admittance to Russia. He ended up in Perugia Italy where he spent 3 months in a college there. He booked passage for he and the car on a freighter, the car sitting on the deck with a dismantled motorcycle he bought hiding in the back seat. He arrived inNew York City, car unloaded from freighter and he drove it home. HE told me that if he had not brought the car home he would have had to go to England and sell it there.
This is a true story from out of the past. An interesting sideline to this story is that his Massachusetts plate was a vanity with his name. He was stopped several times by police who had never seen a vanity license plate, and very simply were curious.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
jb-ob

JB,

A couple of thoughts...

First you should have left already.... from mid- June on mid America is too hot to cruise in a Model A.

Buying a Model A sight unseen for a cross country road trip ?? Does the seller offer nationwide road side assistance ??

You might consider driving the Lincoln Highway to the mid-point. Or tour the New England states.

Research US Model A clubs in areas of America you'd like to see most & join them on a tour. Example, the Iowa A Club does a yearly tour of a different corner of their state. Combine several events, meet the locals for a tour of the area they know best.
Ask, I'd think you'd receive some interesting offers.

Sweet Dreams, JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
RUNNERBUN

John, good luck if you decide to go ahead with your plans. You proved that anything is possible when you did something similar in Australia. Please share your experience with us here on the Barn. I remember when you gave your talk in Aust. You said you were born to travel. Go for it.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
J Franklin

Here are some cars for sale, not mine.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/307623...omment-1721801
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
M2M

Quote:
Toying with the idea of a road trip across USA. Need your local input USAers for this UK limey. It's not worth shipping my own A, so how feasible would it fly in, buy a Model A (maybe in advance) , tax it ,insure it then and drive across USA, then be able to sell it, all within a holiday time frame of say 6-7 weeks Any ideas/input gratefully received. What officialdom bureaucratic hurdles do I need to be aware of?
You need advice from someone like me, not a "USAer", as they are not foreigners in their own country. Americans are not aware of restrictions on foreigners when doing common things like opening a bank account, getting a US driver's license, insurance on houses and cars. Since 9/11 there are more restrictions than before.

In almost all US states a visiting foreigner (as opposed to a student, refugee, a person with a work visa) cannot Title a car in their name. This "ban" is sometimes explicit such as in OH; while in other states they require certain forms of ID that a visiting foreigner just doesn't have such as a US passport, US driver's license, and a social security number.

DMV websites do not often list detailed rules for foreigners making online research difficult, and if you visit a DMV in person you need to speak with someone who knows the fine print otherwise you may get the wrong info.

AR and CO (unless things have changed recently) are two states where it can be done although you would need an address in that state. There very well may be no other states apart from these two. In places like FL, NY, NJ and CA many foreigners do buy cars, but the cars go into containers for export...they are not Titled.

Progressive is one of the few insurance companies that will touch you, but expect to pay several times more than an American. Lack of US driver's license is the problem with other insurance companies.

If possible, have a American friend you trust buy you a car in their name.

If that's not an option then I might be able to help you out in AR.

Last edited by M2M; 04-23-2019 at 11:34 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #14
GerryAllen

Just a suggestion, before you leave England get an international drivers license.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
M2M

Oh, I forgot to say. If you decide to bring your car to the USA, ship it to Canada then drive over the border as US Customs procedures are different when entering the USA at a land border. I know an Aussie who shipped his Model T to the USA for the 2009 centenary and he went through hell with US Customs as they feared he would sell the car and avoid paying import duty. They even rang the MTFCA to confirm he was known to them and it was the Model T centenary. Once they let you in, the USA is a great country to drive around in an old car.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Just a suggestion, before you leave England get an international drivers license.

No, he doesn't need one.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
JB,

A couple of thoughts...

First you should have left already.... from mid- June on mid America is too hot to cruise in a Model A.

Sweet Dreams, JB
"too hot to cruise in a Model A"? Aw, c'mon! People did it all the time back in the day. That's what the fold out windshield is for!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #18
daveymc29

John, if you end your journey in the San Francisco Bay Area You can use my place to get the car sold. I'm about 30 miles east of SF in the Town of Danville, CA. I'll PM you my email and if I can be of assistance, respond. I speak fair English so no worries. We will be able to communicate unless my hearing aids quit. I have spent time in the UK and have hosted many folks from the UK at our home.

Dave Mc Arthur
Henry's A's (MAFCA)
Livermore, CA
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #19
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

Sweet Dreams, JB
---------------------------------------------------------

"too hot to cruise in a Model A"? Aw, c'mon! People did it all the time back in the day. That's what the fold out windshield is for!

Yeah JB, give us a break (to use an American expression). Some people can survive without constant 5* luxury, while some of us even seek to avoid it.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #20
Jim/GA

John-
The following weblog was created by a friend of mine that wanted to do a similar trip in a 1963 Buick Riviera. He discusses many of the logistics issues that you would be concerned about. Se the "Practicalities" tab in his blog.

http://www.ealees.com/roadtrip/index.html

He did his trip in 2 separate ventures of about 6 weeks each. He could probably cover more miles per day than you will in a Model A.

Security surrounding banking, mail, car titleing and registration, etc. have been significantly tightened up since Jon did his epic journey, due to terrorist activities. This will complicate things for you. But it can be done.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 04-23-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 AM   #21
EJ

Hello John,
Sounds a great trip BUT if it were me my car would would be in a container and on its way to the states with a new distributor and a new carb good luck.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:52 AM   #22
Synchro909

M2M is correct about the restrictions placed on visitors trying to do anything in the US. I gave up on a few things a while ago for that reason. I was not planning an adventure like yours but sometimes, no matter what you do, the ducks cannot be aligned unless you have the generous help of a US citizen.
As an example of how many Americans don't understand, I was in negotiations a while back to buy a car. When I asked for the vendor's bank account numbers so I could transfer the money, he refused, saying he was told not to trust a foreigner. I pointed out to him that I was dealing with a foreigner myself (him). He didn't get it and I didn't buy the car.
All that said, M2M's advice about talking to someone who has done long distance touring is good and I can confirm he knows what he is talikng about. I have known him from before he did his big trip. I have made a few myself.
If you can win the help of a local, I say DO IT. I have found that generally, Americans are helpful and polite people.
Good luck with your plans and please keep us informed.

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-24-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #23
johnbuckley

Good Morning All, ( well, it is morning here). Thank you for all your help and offers; as I feared- being a non USA resident puts several bureaucratic problems at the forefront. Mechanicals I can cope with, Officialdom presents more of a challenge. Obviously a lot of planning ahead.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 AM   #24
Fairview

Registration is not a problem for you. A simple LLC, limited liability company, can be set up in the US. The LLC can legally be owned by you, a non-US citizen, and the Model A can be titled in the name of the LLC. For example, the filing fee in Virginia to create an LLC is $100 and it is quick and easy. The LLC will also give you a US address to use for registration, etc. You will just need a lawyer who is a Model A owner to set it up for you at no charge- I think I know of one!

On the insurance, you may have to check with “regular” insurers such as State Farm, Progressive, and Nationwide as the collector car insurers have more restrictions on use. The collector car insurers are more focused on show cars, limited use, garaged cars, where the insured has other vehicles for everyday transportation.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Fairview; 04-24-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #25
jb-ob

John,

Considering your dream cruise, you'll enjoy
Tom Cotter's 'Ford Model T Coast to Coast, A Slow Drive Across a Fast Country'.

Yes, driving with the windshield open in summer has the added benefit of collecting larger bugs.......

Enjoy both, JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
Robert/Texas

Read the book "Another Fine Mess" by Tim Moore. He is an Englishman who drove a Model T across the USA quite recently. The book is printed in the UK and is a real good read.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #27
johnbuckley

Yes great book , I had a T once but it defeated my brain pathways and I sold it sharpish!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
Jim Brierley

I would take a MAFCA roster along on your journey so you could call for help and/or parts if needed. Most Model A'ers would be more than happy to help you, you might even get some free room and board on occasion.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #29
juke joint johnny

Good Luck with your Trip John

Have a word with John Charlton He is on this site and has a place in Arizona ,
for a non Resident Brit he seems to buy a few cars !!
Who knows he might even sell you one

You should buy that book "Another Fine Mess "very informative about travel in the USA
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #30
johnbuckley

Have a word with John Charlton Yep. emailed him this morning!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #31
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning John...at least it is here! My wife is a McPaul from Kilbeggan, Ireland and has Buckley's in her family tree...perhaps you are related? You will like John Charlton, he is cool and hangs out in Chandler, Arizona some of the time. I would suggest that you contact MARC and MARCA the two national/international Model A Clubs and see what help they can be with the correct route to travel and help along the way, if needed. They may even be able to help with the purchase or lease of a capable Model A for you to take on the trip. You might also speak with Jonathan Klinger who is a Vice President at Haggerty Insurance and a Model A Guy of many , many miles. He once had to drive his car every place he went for a year, for work. Give him a call. PM me if you with his cell number...If you land in Arizona, you have a room...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #32
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I would take a MAFCA roster along on your journey so you could call for help and/or parts if needed. Most Model A'ers would be more than happy to help you, you might even get some free room and board on occasion.
We tried that a few years ago when we drove east to west in a modern car. We drove a modern car but wanted to catch up with Aers as we went. The info was very out of date in many cases. Clubs changed their contact details without updating the register. We only connected with 2 out of 7 attempts and one of those was by chance only.
We were disappointed we didn't make more contacts as those we did, were the icing on the cake. How much better would it have been with more?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #33
latecomer

Make sure you get a list of the clubs along your route in case you run into trouble you can't handle. good luck wish i the guts to do it.
latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #34
Synchro909

A trip accross Australia might be easier. The distance is the same and we drive on the correct side of the road. We also speak English more like you.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #35
johnbuckley

Smile Re: Across USA road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A trip across Australia might be easier....
Did that one a few years ago!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Did that one a few years ago!
OK, Top to bottom then!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #37
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
OK, T.op to bottom then!
Done it in a 29 phaeton and got the tshirts -- Adelaide, Alice, Darwin, Broome, Perth, Nullabor, Adelaide, followed by Adelaide Bathurst Brisbane- Followed acouple of years later by Birdsville in a 4x4 enough for any pom. time for another cotinent
Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 AM   #38
Gary-UK

I did it way back in '05. Was a relatively simple process then. A friend who shipped his car out with mine kept it in CA and titled it, only brought it home late last year, told me he couldn't keep it out there any longer as it was no longer possible to insure it without a US drivers licence.
Gary-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #39
Jim Brierley

Synchro909 , sorry you couldn't have done better with contacts, but I still recommend it. MAFCA updates their roster yearly, so should be somewhat close on info.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #40
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Synchro909 , sorry you couldn't have done better with contacts, but I still recommend it. MAFCA updates their roster yearly, so should be somewhat close on info.
Jim,
Maybe MAFCA has changed it processes. As I said, my experience was a few years ago and the contacts we were able to make were excellent.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #41
30Murray

Have you considered starting and ending your trip in Canada? It's a simple procedure to buy, license and insure a car in B.C., drive across the border and travel west to east. It's a spectacular drive down the Oregon coast to California. The only problem might be selling the car when you're finished in eastern Canada. PM me if you want more info at this end.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 PM   #42
Daraidz

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but make sure you buy the car in a state with no sales tax. California is NOT one, however Oregon has no sales tax. So you could easily begin on the West Coast in Oregon and still travel down through California then head east. Plus then you end up on the east coast where it may be easier to sell your new toy. Sounds like a fun adventure. I would suggest an early fall start (great chance for perfect weather) then possibly end up in the New England states for their fantastic fall colors.
Daraidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #43
77Birdman

Another thing to think about, ending your journey at or near a major auction or show and sell the car on the spot. Hershey would work for an early fall destination. This way your worries are a bit less in getting rid of the vehicle. Maybe start a facebook page to follow your trip to advertise the car a bit.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote