Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
bobgreco

Question Fule Line Question

My truck has a copper fuel line from the glass bulb to the carburetor. I understand that you are not supposed to use copper for this application. Replacement fuels lines from the parts places all enter the carburetor on the side, but mine enters on the front. In other words, the fuel line makes a 180 degree bend. I believe it is an original style carburetor as it looks like all the others i see in pictures except the inlet is in front.

Does anyone else have this style carb?
Does anyone else have a copper fuel line?
Can i just use steel brake line with copper ferrules and nuts?

As always, thanks a bunch!

Bob
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
bobgreco

Unhappy Re: Fule Line Question

I know fuel is spelled wrong. I don't type so well!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
MCHinson

Default Re: Fule Line Question

Can you post a photo of the carburetor? I have never seen one like you are describing. Is there a plug in the side? If so, it sounds like maybe someone put a plug in the fuel inlet and is using the gas filter mounting location as the fuel inlet.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
bobgreco

Default Re: Fuel Line Question

Here are some photo's. There is no plug in the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 - Copy (2).jpg (89.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 002 - Copy (2).jpg (91.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 003 - Copy (2).jpg (91.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 004 - Copy (2).jpg (93.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Peter Pucak

You have a Model B Carburetor.
Peter Pucak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgreco View Post
. . .Can i just use steel brake line with copper ferrules and nuts? Bob
I use steel brake line. Straight 3' piece $8 at the local auto parts. If you need the correct brass line fittings for the carb and firewall you can get them from any Model A catalog supplier.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Just cut a 1 to 1 1/2" section out of the straight section of the copper line and bridge with a piece of fuel injection hose,that will take care of all the vibrations. OMO . Ive run copper line from carb to tank for 20 yrs neverhad any trouble.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

As Ken says, put in a flex section, very important if you are using Float-O-Motor's
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Larry Seemann

The other thing some people do when running a "B" carb is to put the side bowl from a late '31 "A" carb on the "B" carb which changes the inlet direction 90 degrees so you can use a regular "A" gas line.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
As Ken says, put in a flex section, very important if you are using Float-O-Motor's
Jim,

I'd be interested in your thinking regarding Float-O-Motors. Do they just let the motor move around enough more to cause a problem? Have you actually seen the problem, or is this a theoretical concern? What you think about just using an all-rubber fuel line?

I'm sort of interested in the FOM issue. On the one hand, all of the arguments I've heard against them make a lot of sense, but, on the other hand, I know a lot of folks who have used them for many thousands of miles with nary a problem.

THanks!

Bob,
You might be able to rig an adapter elbow that does the job of the sidemount filter bowl using brass fittings. I've had good luck just taking a carb and essential fittings into an auto parts store and pawing through their big cabinet with fittings.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 09-24-2010 at 12:07 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

woa woa woa i am trying to grasp this using a rubber hose for fuel line flex with floater mounts. has there been breakages of the steel lines because of the mounts? i never thought about this and know of lots of cars running the floaters with all steel lines. enlighten me some please.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The Float-A-Motor set ups could "over flex" even the stock steel fuel line. All the later Ford products with rubber isolated mounting used a flex line from the firewall to the pump. Copper tubing fatiges at a higher rate than steel but even a steel line could fatigue crack with a Float-A-Motor kit installed.

I've had more problems (leaks) with the cheep crap modern rubber fuel line than any copper or steel line but I guess that's a sign of the times. Not good to have fuel leaking on a hot exhaust manifold for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
woa woa woa i am trying to grasp this using a rubber hose for fuel line flex with floater mounts. has there been breakages of the steel lines because of the mounts? i never thought about this and know of lots of cars running the floaters with all steel lines. enlighten me some please.
Here's a picture of the rubber line I went to when I changed to the new carb, mainly for connection ease. I think it's important that rubber designed for alcohol-gasoline mixtures be used. The thing that scares me is the possibility of a minor engine compartment fire melting the hose, which then results in a truly catastrophic fire. Of course, if the fire is due to a cracked metal line, you have the same problem.

I too am struck by the absence of first- or even second-hand experience with FOMs actually causing a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020 (2) - resize.jpg (88.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Here's a picture of the rubber line I went to when I changed to the new carb, mainly for connection ease. I think it's important that rubber designed for alcohol-gasoline mixtures be used. The thing that scares me is the possibility of a minor engine compartment fire melting the hose, which then results in a truly catastrophic fire. Of course, if the fire is due to a cracked metal line, you have the same problem.

I too am struck by the absence of first- or even second-hand experience with FOMs actually causing a problem.

i think i would feel more comfortable with a full steel line even if i had to bend one up for a certain application with a tubing bender. i have seen to many rubber hose fires such as the more modern carburated fords with the small rubber hose in front of the fuel filter next to the distributor. what would scare me on the A is not only the manifold but also the bare plug connectors (wires).
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
Bruce of MN

Steve, what kind of carb is that?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Steve, what kind of carb is that?
Bruce,

Behold, the New Zenith, sometimes disparaged as The Forklift Carb. Search under its model number on invoice might turn up prior threads. Tends to excite passions.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 parts 009 smaller.jpg (56.9 KB, 28 views)