Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
loubob

Default HC Head, Gasket,Studs question

I have ordered a Mitchell o.d. unit.

Can't decide on using the 5.5 or 5.9 HC head. Ego says 5.9 but reality says 5.5 will more than suffice.

Which head gasket should I use with either? Snyder part # would help. I have read threads on owners using one over another and I am confused.

Do I need the stronger studs/nut set???

Car is a 1930 Standard Coupe. No mods, orig. engine components, etc.

Thanks very much. Your suggestions/help are ALWAYS appreciated.

Loubob
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: HC Head, Gasket,Studs question

either will do but you will get more torque and more efficient combustion from the 5.9

use the Felpro 7013 copper gasket and use 2 coats of permatex copper spray each side
Avoid the silicone gasket at all costs they do not work
ReTorque multiple times until you get no more take-up. We reTorque at 10 min running time and again at 30 min, then again at 25 miles. Once more at 50 miles tho we seldom take up any at that point

there seems to be a difference of opinion whether you need the gr 5 studs or the gr 8
Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: HC Head, Gasket,Studs question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
FWIW:

First, if looking for far better Model A performance, you may want to call Mr. Bill Stipe or a few others offering Model A cams for advice on much better Model A performance shown on a dynamometer, as opposed to someone wetting their finger & holding it out of the window to tell their car has more pick up.

For an engine with an unknown history, with maybe already stretched studs, I have always bought new studs, standard grade, (as opposed to today's recommended higher grade steel), for the Police high compression heads I have & have had years ago.

Used a tap to clean out existing threads, thoroughly clean same with "Q-Tips", & installed new studs, (finger tight), with a heavy coating of "Permatex Anti-Seize" on the cleaned threads in engine block, "and" also on threads of studs, so the next guy will not break studs upon removal.

Tightened studs in sequence to 55 ft.-lbs., (as opposed to recommended 65 ft.-lbs.), which if one calls engine rebuilder Mr. Ron Kelley one can hear an ear full of stretched Model A engine blocks which cause head gasket leaking.

Also, installed the new silicone gasket offered & highly recommended by Mr. Walt Bratton, & never had a problem.

In life I have learned to live with, & not mind that everybody is lacing their shoes & tying their shoes differently; maybe I tie my shoes differently; but my shoes stay tied all day & my head gaskets never leak. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote