Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
modelapickup31

Default headlights

Finally able to work on headlights on my 31 slant. I have some two-lite buckets but I think I need one-lite for the car. ( I have cowl lights as well) can I use the two-lite buckets and change out the reflectors? I already bought the harness for single bulb. I tried to search for this but I must be searching incorrectly. .
I would be interested in purchasing the correct setup if anyone is selling them close to Connecticut.

Thanks!
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: headlights

another option is to just leave the same headlights using your one bulb harness. the parking light just wont light up

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-13-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelapickup31 View Post
Finally able to work on headlights on my 31 slant. I have some two-lite buckets but I think I need one-lite for the car. ( I have cowl lights as well) can I use the two-lite buckets and change out the reflectors? I already bought the harness for single bulb. I tried to search for this but I must be searching incorrectly. .
I would be interested in purchasing the correct setup if anyone is selling them close to Connecticut.

Thanks!
Geoff
Yes the buckets are the same for either one or two bulb. I'm not sure what you mean by "complete setup" but the best reflectors are sold by Brattons. and since you are placing and order for the reflectors they also have the rest of the stuff.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
clo2jim

Or you can do what was done on my Roadster with cowl lights - the parking lights in the headlight are wired to the same curcuit as the cowl lights. So when the cowl lights are on, the parking lights in the headlights are also on. The car came that way when I got it and it works for me
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
rons49

Geoff, Do you have turn signals? If not, consider leaving the 2 bulb reflector & use the cowl lights for front signals. I just installed Brattons aluminum reflectors. They are good, but the reflective coating is fragile. Use surgical gloves, to avoid marks from the oils in your fingers, when installing.
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
MikeK

Just so everybody is clear on this, and misconceptions are not promulgated, the words "TWOLITE HEADLAMP"

1) Do not belong to Ford Motor Company.
2) Have nothing to do with the presence or absence of a parking lamp.
3) Are the trade property of McKee Glass Co. and refer to their patented lens design.
4) Refer to a dual filament (Hi-Lo) single bulb.

All "Twolite Headlamp" glass (original) is marked “FOR USE WITH 21 C.P. DUAL FILAMENT BULBS”.

The original vertical prism Ford "H" design glass, first appearing in 1917 Model T's with the electric option, was designed for single filament bulbs. There was no Hi-Lo. In 1928 this lens, now an inch larger in the "A", gave a high beam pattern that was unacceptable and technically in violation of evolving motor vehicle regulations in several states.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
modelapickup31

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I really learned a-lot. I will likely just purchase new reflectors because the old ones are beyond repair. I will definitely look into the cowl lights for turn signals as well...
Mike K, excellent History lesson!
thanks again,
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote