Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Richard Gagliardi

Default How to move front seat back in 29 coupe?

Hi can someone tell me the best way to get leg room by moveing seat back? Thanks RICH
Richard Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: How to move front seat back in 29 coupe?

About the most you can do is remove the square wood spacer in fronbt of the package shelf if it's still there. I removed mine , it moves the backrest back about 1-1/2". I'm 6-2 and have enough room.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
wrndln

What Barry said can easily be done. What Barry described gives you a little more back room, but not extra leg room as the bottom of the backrest stays the same even after the top wood is moved back. There is a fairly easy way to get a little more leg room. In the service bulletins on page 257 there is a section that shows a longer bracket that attaches to the rear part of the seat riser. I don't know if you have the service bulletins or not. If you don't, I could send you a picture of the page attached to an email. Since I am 6' 4", I did one more thing to achieve more legroom. I had Snyder's make a custom backrest spring that is 2" thinner then the original spring. The thinner spring just barely covers the rear part of the cushion with little to spare, but it gives me another 2" of room. Snyder's charges $25 more than a standard spring to make a custom spring. It should be more comfortable to drive in my 28 special coupe. I am just about finished with the restoration, so I will find out in the spring when the snow melts.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Like this! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small5.jpg (76.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg small6.jpg (70.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg small7.jpg (69.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
What Barry said can easily be done. What Barry described gives you a little more back room, but not extra leg room as the bottom of the backrest stays the same even after the top wood is moved back. There is a fairly easy way to get a little more leg room. In the service bulletins on page 257 there is a section that shows a longer bracket that attaches to the rear part of the seat riser. I don't know if you have the service bulletins or not. If you don't, I could send you a picture of the page attached to an email. Since I am 6' 4", I did one more thing to achieve more legroom. I had Snyder's make a custom backrest spring that is 2" thinner then the original spring. The thinner spring just barely covers the rear part of the cushion with little to spare, but it gives me another 2" of room. Snyder's charges $25 more than a standard spring to make a custom spring. It should be more comfortable to drive in my 28 special coupe. I am just about finished with the restoration, so I will find out in the spring when the snow melts.
Rusty Nelson
I did what the service bulletin said with the brackets. I just took a couple of metal strips and bent then to make the bracket longer and turned them around. This gave me enough room without taking out the wood strip at the top. My big problem is getting my big feet out the door between the door post and the seat.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Fred, with my bar seats, my size 13 goes right in, with the seat swiveled (WHEE!) a size 23 would fit in. Gregg is 6' 6 1/2" and fits in it well. We can change it back to stock in 10 minutes! (If we pee first) Bill W.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Rusty Nelson
It goes back in time Rusty but you are correct. As I remember I think I made up longer L brackets to set the bottom of the backrest an equal distance back. Barry B.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I did what the service bulletin said with the brackets. I just took a couple of metal strips and bent then to make the bracket longer and turned them around. This gave me enough room without taking out the wood strip at the top. My big problem is getting my big feet out the door between the door post and the seat.
Does this apply to you, Fred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1eK3x1PBI

( I have the same issue : 6' 2", size 13-A feets. Have to go in head-first, feet toe-first. Getting-out: Butt-first, left-foot out (heel-first) weight on running-board, then hunch-forward, and ease-out backwards, reversing the in-bound trip. The only way to get more foot-clearance between the A-pillar and the seat riser would be to trim the back ends of the riser, and scoot the whole thing back an inch or two, and I'm not sure if that's really practical. Maybe this is why Fats drove a Lincoln K touring car...)
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Does this apply to you, Fred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1eK3x1PBI

( I have the same issue : 6' 2", size 13-A feets. Have to go in head-first, feet toe-first. Getting-out: Butt-first, left-foot out (heel-first) weight on running-board, then hunch-forward, and ease-out backwards, reversing the in-bound trip. The only way to get more foot-clearance between the A-pillar and the seat riser would be to trim the back ends of the riser, and scoot the whole thing back an inch or two, and I'm not sure if that's really practical. Maybe this is why Fats drove a Lincoln K touring car...)
It sure does! Yes when I can't get the old 13's past the door, I use the method above or something similar to get the old stiff bod out.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Did someone say Model A's are tight?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Did someone say Model A's are tight?
This looks like the afore-mentioend Robert Wadlow...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, that's Robert, who only lived to be 22 years old. 1918-1940
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
timsteele

Could you send me this info too please?
timsteele is offline   Reply With Quote