Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
DSmoke

Default WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Does anybody know where I can find pre-bent exhaust for my 56 Country Sedan? I am looking to replace mufflers and pipe because my right muffler has a hole. Thanks
DSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Fire up the wayback machine and go to about 1958. Every corner gas station in the country had racks of pre-bent pipes and mufflers in the back room.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

have you tried NAPA, or any parts store that sells Walker exh. products. don't know if they still make stuff for vehicles that far back. otherwise try Green Sales Co. . they sell new old stock stuff and may have some. http://www.greensalescompany.com/ . other than that just the usual old parts suppliers.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 AM   #4
JeffB2

http://classicexhaustinc.com/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #5
DSmoke

Thanks for the replies, I will give Classic a call it looks like they have what I need.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Dobie Gillis

"have you tried NAPA, or any parts store that sells Walker exh. products." I was a Walker Exhaust field rep back in the late 70s. At that time most parts stores had racks of pre-bent sectionalized pipe. None do any more. Modern metallurgy, unleaded gas and the fact that the exhaust of modern cars is much hotter pretty much killed off the replacement exhaust industry. OEM exhaust pretty much lasts for the life of the vehicle now.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Alaska Jim

Dobie, guess my age is showing, and I am only just short of 66 . I personally have not tried to buy any pre-bent exh. parts in over 10 years now. last thing I bought last summer was a new replacement cat. conv. for the wife's vette. you are pretty much right about the new exh. lasting almost the life of the vehicle.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Hot Rod Reverend

I have used these guys before...
http://www.waldronexhaust.com/

Things fit very well. They stay pretty busy!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
DSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
"have you tried NAPA, or any parts store that sells Walker exh. products." I was a Walker Exhaust field rep back in the late 70s. At that time most parts stores had racks of pre-bent sectionalized pipe. None do any more. Modern metallurgy, unleaded gas and the fact that the exhaust of modern cars is much hotter pretty much killed off the replacement exhaust industry. OEM exhaust pretty much lasts for the life of the vehicle now.
That's very interesting, and thanks for posting it, I told a few people today and they realized the same thing. I feel like I just got smarter! But, my 60 year old wagon needs some new exhaust so she can breathe right, and we hopefully don't smell like exhaust after driving it. We never realized it until we took it to my daughter's back to school night tonight. My wife actually noticed it, I prefer to smell like gas and oil, or something along those lines, means I was having fun.

Thanks again for the links, gives me a good start!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

DSmoke, make sure your tail pipes are for a wagon, not a sedan. The wagon pipes need to exit out the side behind the rear wheels. This is because there is a low pressure area created behind the wagons due to the flat shape and it WILL suck exhaust into the interior thru any leaks and especially if you ever drive with your lift gate open. Carbon Monoxide is not a good thing. CO is a colorless and orderless poisonous gas so it is a good thing your wife could smell the other components of your exhaust.

The sedan pipes exit straight out the pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956_ford_fairlane_wagon_r.jpg (38.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #11
DSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
DSmoke, make sure your tail pipes are for a wagon, not a sedan. The wagon pipes need to exit out the side behind the rear wheels. This is because there is a low pressure area created behind the wagons due to the flat shape and it WILL suck exhaust into the interior thru any leaks and especially if you ever drive with your lift gate open. Carbon Monoxide is not a good thing. CO is a colorless and orderless poisonous gas so it is a good thing your wife could smell the other components of your exhaust.

The sedan pipes exit straight out the pack.
Thanks, that's good (great!) to know. Mine currently exit like the photo.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmoke View Post
Thanks, that's good (great!) to know. Mine currently exit like the photo.
That's good, that's where you want it. Not straight out the back.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

Any reason you don't want to take it to a muffler shop that bends pipe on site? They should have specs. on file to form pipes for most cars. Or simply drive your wagon in and they will custom fit whatever you need. guaranteed to fit doing it that way!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
DSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Any reason you don't want to take it to a muffler shop that bends pipe on site? They should have specs. on file to form pipes for most cars. Or simply drive your wagon in and they will custom fit whatever you need. guaranteed to fit doing it that way!
The only reason is I prefer to do it myself. It's a long story that some of you may understand, but the short story is nobody cares about your project as much as you. I am a self employed kitchen and bath designer/builder/remodeler and I see this everyday on my projects with employees and subcontractors. I have also worked on restoring/building/repairing motorcycles as a hobby for many years. When it comes to 2 wheels, I certainly don't trust anyone else to work on my bike. This is my first car project so I am coming from that mindset. Does that make any sense?

So, with that said, I called Classic and left a message, will check with Waldron, and plan to check next week with a few local places to get an idea of prices.

Thanks for all the help and pointers! Sure is nice to have the advice from y'all!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Quote:
The only reason is I prefer to do it myself. It's a long story that some of you may understand, but the short story is nobody cares about your project as much as you.
X's two

I've got a two year old daily driver that came with a full maint package. Took it in for the 15,000 mile service and the person doing the tire rotation slid the painted wheel covers face down across the shop floor.
The service mgr ordered a new set before I left that day.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
The only reason is I prefer to do it myself. It's a long story that some of you may understand...
Oh I totally understand. Picked up my wife Ford FLEX after service the other day with two dents in the hood from what I can only assume slamming the hood. Car has less than 10,000 Miles.

I don't even like people working around the house anymore. I am so tired of having to redo things after they leave. I'll be the first to admit I'm anal about some things but if I'm paying you to do something I expect you to do it at least as good as I can.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
frank long island

I understand where your coming from but exhaust work sucks the bolts on the manifolds are always rusted or break if its at a muffler shop they have tricks or better yet the parts on hand to repair if your doing it in your shop and break something the parts store might not have the fix and your stuck just my opinion and past experiences but i do love them wagons
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:10 AM   #18
My Old Blue

Found this thread and useful links and I see options with or without resonators. I have a 56 Country Sedan's with a 312. Any member experience going with resonators or choosing not to? Looking for insight as I will need to look at options to replace entire exhaust system once my 57' exhaust manifolds arrive. I'm going to assume resonators were not factory or were they?
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #19
KULTULZ

Talking Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Old Blue View Post

Found this thread and useful links and I see options with or without resonators. I have a 56 Country Sedan's with a 312. Any member experience going with resonators or choosing not to?

Looking for insight as I will need to look at options to replace entire exhaust system once my 57' exhaust manifolds arrive. I'm going to assume resonators were not factory or were they?
How loud do you like your exhaust? A resonator further muffles the sound for a high end car. If yours is a street car, you will most likely enjoy the added sound.

Without the resonator(s), the car may develop an exhaust drone at certain road speeds.

Resonators are also further restrictive to exhaust flow so bare that in mind.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #20
Daves55Sedan

If you do get pre-bent exhaust pipes, don't be surprised if some of the bends are not quite right and pipe lengths too long or too short, forcing you to either send back what you ordered or modify the junk they sent. I got pre-bent exhaust pipes and pre-bent tailpipes but they all needed to be modified. Might as well have just sent the car to one of those muffler shops in the first place.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #21
My Old Blue

Good insight here. Thank you. Been looking at Waldrons for the V8 Dual set up, all pre-bent. Decent price I feel, although still doing my homework. I see Waldrons offers mild tone muffler above the stock sound. Daves555Sedan I've also read what you have advised and I figure a phone call to Waldrons would be advisable to hear their point of view as well. I'll check my local shops too, and see who can make the right bends. My 312 wagon had a single exhaust installed sometime in its' history and working to figure the hangers I need as the drivers side exhaust and hangers are missing.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
zoegrant

Some years ago Waldons did a complete exhaust system for my 56 t-bird and it fit great..

Y-Blockheads info on the tail pipe on a wagon coming out in back of the tire and not straight back like the sedan is something I would venture to say that an exhaust shop probably would not know....
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves55sedan View Post
if you do get pre-bent exhaust pipes, don't be surprised if some of the bends are not quite right and pipe lengths too long or too short, forcing you to either send back what you ordered or modify the junk they sent. I got pre-bent exhaust pipes and pre-bent tailpipes but they all needed to be modified. Might as well have just sent the car to one of those muffler shops in the first place.
x2 !!!!!
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... I have a 56 Country Sedan's with a 312. ..... Looking for insight as I will need to look at options to replace entire exhaust system once my 57' exhaust manifolds arrive. .....
Quote:
..... My 312 wagon had a single exhaust installed sometime in its' history ...
..... working to figure the hangers I need as the drivers side exhaust and hangers are missing.
My Old Blue, is your question about a Sedan or Station Wagon? (I'm confused)

The car may not have originally had dual exhaust???
Like the example at this link...
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/index...ners-Manual-28

Here's a link to the '56 Owners Manual the above page/link is from...
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/index..._Manual?page=1

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-28-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add 2nd link
Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
My Old Blue

Hi dmsfrr, I have 312 56 Country Sedan Station Wagon. Attached a photo of what I'm working with. I decided to locate and a found a set of 57' exhaust manifolds to upgrade and need to replace the scabbed in crossover single exhaust that included 272 manifolds down to the muffler and pipes. Great links and fortunately for me that same owners manual was still in the glove box. Apologies for confusion on my part.

I browsed several catalogs showing clamps and hangers but I have yet to see anything definitive to say I need this many clamps and this type of strap or that type of hanger. Still searching forums and catalogs for clues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171019_111941.jpg (47.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20170911_170344.jpg (39.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Question Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Quote:

I have 312 56 Country Sedan Station Wagon.

I decided to locate and a found a set of 57' exhaust manifolds to upgrade and need to replace the scabbed in crossover single exhaust that included 272 manifolds down to the muffler and pipes.

I browsed several catalogs showing clamps and hangers but I have yet to see anything definitive to say I need this many clamps and this type of strap or that type of hanger. Still searching forums and catalogs for clues.
Are you going to duals?

Below is a general Ill showing exhaust system hardware. The outlet pipe(s) must face outwards for safety and comply with state vehicle law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD- Dual Exh Sys _2 - Hardware.jpg (55.3 KB, 17 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #27
dmsfrr

Quote:
.... Apologies for confusion on my part.
Brain fog over here has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
The car may not have originally had dual exhaust???
Seeing the heat shield on the driver's side certainly answered that question.

Almost missed the above post by KULTULZ while I was typing this,
that illustration sure looks helpful.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Are you going to duals?

Below is a general Ill showing exhaust system hardware. The outlet pipe(s) must face outwards for safety and comply with state vehicle law.
This is a great start! Thank you. Yes duals.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #29
KULTULZ

Post Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Quote:

Yes duals.
This Is In My Opinion Only...

1) You are going to have not much choice other than going to a custom fabricator.

2) You are planning to use 57 exhaust manifolds on a 56 vehicle so the inlet pipes are going to have to be custom bent to fit the 56 intermediate pipes.

3) You will need a 57 heat riser valve.

4) A custom fabrication shop has a pipe bender that uses a computer program to bend to OEM specs (mandrel bend - 2 1/2".

5) Talk to the guy as an H-Pipe will give you more power (balances exhaust pulses).

6) The first Ill I showed will give you an idea of hangers. WALKER used to make very close copied FOMOCO hardware. Talk to him about factory appearing hangers.

7) Turnouts on the tailpipes.

8) Low restriction mufflers if you want to hear it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD- Dual Exh Sys _1 - Typical.jpg (85.2 KB, 11 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #30
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
I think the Concours parts catalog has an illustration of every exhaust component and as far as I can recall, they sell all the brackets and hangars.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #31
Daves55Sedan

If the car originally had single exhaust, you can re-use the existing bracket/hangar on the inside frame rail on the passenger side and the rear tailpipe hangar on the passenger side. Just add the mirror image bracket for the right side frame rail and a duplicate hangar of the rear one you have for the new driver side tailpipe.
The holes in the frame are factory drilled. It may be necessary to tap the two holes in the frame rail for the intermediate bracket but if you use the hex-head lag-bolts like they did at the factory, you might not need to tap the holes.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #32
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
This Is In My Opinion Only...

1) You are going to have not much choice other than going to a custom fabricator.

2) You are planning to use 57 exhaust manifolds on a 56 vehicle so the inlet pipes are going to have to be custom bent to fit the 56 intermediate pipes.

3) You will need a 57 heat riser valve.

4) A custom fabrication shop has a pipe bender that uses a computer program to bend to OEM specs (mandrel bend - 2 1/2".

5) Talk to the guy as an H-Pipe will give you more power (balances exhaust pulses).

6) The first Ill I showed will give you an idea of hangers. WALKER used to make very close copied FOMOCO hardware. Talk to him about factory appearing hangers.

7) Turnouts on the tailpipes.

8) Low restriction mufflers if you want to hear it...
KULTULZ, Went back and re-read your post along with Daves55Sedan ( apologies for not acknowledging the responses sooner) as I'm getting closer now to having the dual exhaust fabricated at my local exhaust shop. Gathering my shopping list for Concours as I found has the best prices for the most part. 57 manifolds are in and I was wondering what size are the pipes to be? 2" or 1 3/4"? I question due to looking at Concours site that showed clamps in 1 3/4 for rear tailpipe bracket. Attempting to use hangers and clamps close to stock as possible.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #33
KULTULZ

Talking Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Quote:

KULTULZ, Went back and re-read your post along with Daves55Sedan ( apologies for not acknowledging the responses sooner) as I'm getting closer now to having the dual exhaust fabricated at my local exhaust shop.

Gathering my shopping list for Concours as I found has the best prices for the most part. 57 manifolds are in and I was wondering what size are the pipes to be? 2" or 1 3/4"? I question due to looking at Concours site that showed clamps in 1 3/4 for rear tailpipe bracket. Attempting to use hangers and clamps close to stock as possible.

Your car is a driver and not HI-PO, correct?

Usually (and this is IMO and open to debate) for a mild street car, 2 1/2" inlet (size restricted by what flange size the manifold will accept - cast iron exhaust manifolds) and outlet is nice. If the tailpipes are within restrictive areas, 2" is good (after muffler only) as as that point, the exh gases/heat has cooled/contracted somewhat and poses less restriction (after battling muffler baffles).

I would find a QUALITY shop in your area and talk with them before actually purchasing anything. They may have a source for dedicated hangars also.

What type of exhaust sound do you want? Muffler choice comes into play also.

I always loved the WALKER low restriction muffler as it gave the car the sound of a late sixties muscle car (CJ) ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #34
Ole Don

Several years back, I had Waldron build a complete system for my 55 sedan. It was 2 1/4 with mandrel bends all the way, with their house brand mufflers. I did not clamp it, I welded on clips so it bolted together. That way if it ever needed to come off, it could. After it was all on, I removed it, wiped it down with acetone, and painted it with high temp flat black. The larger diameter was hard to fit, but it did fit. I think Waldron did a wonderful job at a decent price. The mufflers had a nice rumble, quiet while cruising, but when I jumped on it, they sounded off really nice.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #35
KULTULZ

Question Re: WTB Pre-bent exhaust for 56 Country Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post

Several years back, I had Waldron build a complete system for my 55 sedan. It was 2 1/4 with mandrel bends all the way...
I wonder if they have a pattern for a inlet(s) pipe for the 55 272 duals with 57 exhaust manifolds?

Make it a lot easier. Just bolt on stock from the inlet back.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #36
Gene F

so did we hear the final result of the original requestor?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #37
paul2748

You might check with the parts vendors and see if they have listings for clamps and hangers for the left side if you haven't already. I thought the 292 and 312 engines came with dual exhaust from the factory???

I bought a dual exhaust system from Waldren's for my 64 Fairlane. It fit really good.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote