Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Generator no-charge update

In an earlier thread I posted about a weird problem I was having with the Roadster. So as not to be buried I opened a new thread with what I have found so far.

One generator from a major parts house, was working OK for maybe 2 hours of use then ammeter started bouncing all over the place and would not show a charge anymore. Headlites 'on' with engine running at fast idle, shut off engine lites did not dim stayed the same. Checked voltage at generator post there was none. Cutout original, shows 49 Ohms it is good. In the meantime I had tried a known good ammeter it was the same, no charge.

Took this generator to a local rebuilder that does a lot of antique tractors, he put it on his tester and voila, something definitely wrong with it he got nothing out of it either. Good. I'm on the right track.

Fully charged battery, Voltage at battery 6.6. Voltage at starter switch 6.6 Voltage at terminal box both studs 6.5. Voltage at ammeter posts both sides one at a time 6.5 Voltage at cutout relay output side 6.5. OK looking good to me so far.

Put another generator on the car that an antique tractor builder tested for me, was putting out 7.2 Volts, known good generator here we go. Put it on the car, couldn't get a voltage reading out of the generator post. Ran car at fast idle with headlites on, turned off motor no dimming at all no change in headlites. No increase in voltage at cutout 'out' connection with motor running. Measured cutout mounting screws as someone suggested they are 1/4th inch as they are supposed to be. Used the original good cutout showing 49 Ohms of resistance.

Walking away from it for a while, it doesn't make any sense what is going on. If I find the problem I will pass on what happened. I've never seen this before
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote