Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Float-A-Motor mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
If the engine can move forward or rearward a little, then the rear axle moves by the same amount. If the rear axle moves, then the rear brakes will also be affected by the movement, if you are stepping on the brake pedal.
Tom,
TRUST ME, the motor & power train DOES NOT move back & forth with Float-A-Motors. They only suppress the engine noises from getting into the frame/body. The name of them is mis-leading, they should have been called, "QUIET-A-MOTOR" Old tales abound & KEEP on being REPEATED! Some may confuse them with early Chrysler mounting systems, called, "FLOATING POWER." I've heard NIEVE persons that even think your fan could go into the radiator during a sudden stop----------------HOGWASH!!
Front & rear FAMS were the GREATEST thing I ever did to Minerva, I'd put them on Vermin, except, I'M TOO TIRED! At 60-65, Minerva just went HMMMMMN, so smooth & quiet, you wouldn't believe it. With stock mounting, she sounded like you were TEARING up the engine, after 45MPH! You're familiar with those sounds & that's why many don't drive over that speed.
Bill W.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #22
RandyinUtah

I agree with Bill Williamson. The first post was a question on the safety of FM and Bill answered the question. I have used FM for 30 thousand miles with no problems and it sure make installing the engine easier than with original mounts. Why do you think they sell after market frame spreaders for help in engine replacement with original type mounts.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

never had to use a frame spreader on OSM's
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #24
Miles in MN

To the OP:

What no one is telling you is that in order to install the B transmission with the B engine you must use a Model B flywheel housing. There is no provision on the B flywheel housing for attachment to Model A rear motor mounts, so the stock rear engine mounting is out of the question for that combination. The Model B flywheel housings were made in two configurations; one with a demountable ear on each side for connecting the steady rods used to control fore and aft movement on the later model Fords with the "improved" four cylinder and V8's. That flywheel housing is used to install the B engine and transmission in a Model A frame using a special version of the Float-a-Motor mounts. The FAM's for installing a B in an A are not the same as the ones used for the Model A engine installation. Your only choice will be the special FAM's or a home-made mount if you have the ability to fabricate it using the B flywheel housing. I made a set using large steel angle and V8 motor mount biscuits; it can be done!
Miles in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:27 AM   #25
CYB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Tom,
TRUST ME, the motor & power train DOES NOT move back & forth with Float-A-Motors. They only suppress the engine noises from getting into the frame/body. The name of them is mis-leading, they should have been called, "QUIET-A-MOTOR" Old tales abound & KEEP on being REPEATED! Some may confuse them with early Chrysler mounting systems, called, "FLOATING POWER." I've heard NIEVE persons that even think your fan could go into the radiator during a sudden stop----------------HOGWASH!!
Front & rear FAMS were the GREATEST thing I ever did to Minerva, I'd put them on Vermin, except, I'M TOO TIRED! At 60-65, Minerva just went HMMMMMN, so smooth & quiet, you wouldn't believe it. With stock mounting, she sounded like you were TEARING up the engine, after 45MPH! You're familiar with those sounds & that's why many don't drive over that speed.
Bill W.
Thanks Bill, so I will put some FAM in my Tudor also, looking forward to a much smoother ride

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:51 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
TRUST ME, the motor & power train DOES NOT move back & forth with Float-A-Motors.

Old tales abound & KEEP on being REPEATED!

To be 'politically correct', I am just going to say that based on my experiences with Float-a-Motor mounts, by design they DO allow the engine & transmission assembly to move back & forth. In addition, it has been my experience that this movement DOES affect the braking efficiency of a stock braking system. If anyone chooses to disagree, that is OK too. As they say, experience is generally something you get after you need it. I just know what I have experienced on multiple occasions!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #27

Unhappy Re: Float-A-Motor mounts

Always confusing, It seems all conversations are 50/50, I guess there will never be a 100% agreement on the mechanics of the Model A.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #28
mshmodela

Quote:
Tom,
Bill W.
Bill, thank you for the above details; I now know more about my car with your sharing of years of experience.. Ms Daisy really does not dig 45mph or more and I now likely have the reason why.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Bill, thank you for the above details; I now know more about my car with your sharing of years of experience.. Ms Daisy really does not dig 45mph or more and I now likely have the reason why.
"............

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
stillwater

Quote:
To the OP:

What no one is telling you is that in order to install the B transmission with the B engine you must use a Model B flywheel housing. There is no provision on the B flywheel housing for attachment to Model A rear motor mounts, so the stock rear engine mounting is out of the question for that combination. The Model B flywheel housings were made in two configurations; one with a demountable ear on each side for connecting the steady rods used to control fore and aft movement on the later model Fords with the "improved" four cylinder and V8's. That flywheel housing is used to install the B engine and transmission in a Model A frame using a special version of the Float-a-Motor mounts. The FAM's for installing a B in an A are not the same as the ones used for the Model A engine installation. Your only choice will be the special FAM's or a home-made mount if you have the ability to fabricate it using the B flywheel housing. I made a set using large steel angle and V8 motor mount biscuits; it can be done!

I do have the B flywheel housing, oil pan, etc. I have everything I need. I already decided to adapt some kind of modern motor mounts and do it myself, as this is certainly not out of my skillset. I'm 50yo, have worked as a bodyman, as a production welder among other things. So I am just going to make my own mounts.

Quite interesting responses here for sure.
Lol
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #31
BILL WILLIAMSON

With FRONT FAM's, be SURE to enlarge the crossmember holes, from below, with a UNI-BIT, otherwise, the engine vibrations will transmit from the mounting bar to the crossmember, through the bolt & it would vibrate WORSE than stock! The sellers should mention this, in their installation instructions.
I had to install 2 heavy flat washers under the engine bar, to align the crank bearing, to the crank nut. The Dog calls me a "CRANK NUT"---Whut duz he mean??????--I'm nice to him??
Bill W.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #32
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Always confusing, It seems all conversations are 50/50, I guess there will never be a 100% agreement on the mechanics of the Model A.
TOO MANY bored old Dudes, with nothing else to do, except RATTLE about stuff & see their NAME in PRINT! Why are so many folks INSECURE?--YES, I'm insecure, also & slightly paranoid, at times. Am I NORMAL? At least, I can make a Model A run & operate properly & right now, I'm baking Cranberry Yeast Bread. Next, I have to wash my BOTTLES
Bill W.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #33
old victoria

the drive train will move a little with the F.A.M that's ok. but they do sag allowing your motor to drop in the rear (crank hole will not line up) also never use with t5 open driveshaft or any other open drive shaft conversions.
old victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by old victoria View Post
the drive train will move a little with the F.A.M that's ok. but they do sag allowing your motor to drop in the rear (crank hole will not line up) also never use with t5 open driveshaft or any other open drive shaft conversions.
There are MILLIONS of cars out there, running RUBBER mounts & OPEN drive shafts, of all sorts---------------- SORRY !
Bill W.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old victoria View Post
The extended cab 29 CCPU in my avatar has FAM's, open drive shaft and a T-5! Never had any issues in almost 10 years. Also has a B engine, original CRAGAR head and F-100 steering. The frame is straight and there's zero sag. Absolutely great touring car. There's even enough room in the bobbed flatbed to carry four cases of beer!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #36
stillwater

Quote:
TOO MANY bored old Dudes, with nothing else to do, except RATTLE about stuff & see their NAME in PRINT! Why are so many folks INSECURE?--YES, I'm insecure, also & slightly paranoid, at times. Am I NORMAL? At least, I can make a Model A run & operate properly & right now, I'm baking Cranberry Yeast Bread. Next, I have to wash my BOTTLES
Bill W.
I understand. I haven't been here much so I will get that...
btw, I used to subscribe to F.A.S.T. and Secrets, so I understand lol.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #37
PepeLoco

I have noticed since installing FAM that I have become Lactose Intolerant.
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 AM   #38
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

Thank you for the tip on enlarging the 2 holes in the front crossmember. I preformed this very delicate operation this morning, assisting was my able body wife and boxer Sara. Boat tail Speedster is coming along nice. I want to go to T R O G in the worst way! Thanks again Bill. Don
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #39
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

I really enjoy this Ford Barn At least here we can be funny and learn some thing. And thats all I got to say about that! Don
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #40
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i'm lucky to have Bill as my POP.. when he see's something works he tries to pass that on to others with a joke included...
i caught him last night trying to install FAM's on both my cars..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote