Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
JOHN CT

Default Re: Radial sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Don't get the shackle nuts so tight that it binds on the spring and hanger. I usually tighten mine snug and then back them off a little. You may have been OK.

Good find on the backing plate.
No I didn’t over tighten the nuts. They were a little too loose so I I just put a full turn and pinned it. Then grease.
Tomorrow I’m pulling the drums.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #22
john in illinois

A friend in our Model A club has had Coker American A tires for 2 or so years and really likes them. I have driven for years with coker 16” American Classic tires on my Tudor and have had good control in wind and rain.

I would check to see if your springs are sagging and if your shackles are at 45*.
Shackles too vertical can cause sway.

John
Old 09-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #23
old31

I love my Coker 19" radials. I have had them for 2 years, use 35PSI and a night a day drive difference over biased.

it rides better and tracks better.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #24
JOHN CT

Hello all
I removed the rear drums. Tighten up the backing plates. Re-torqued the rear axle nuts to 90 lbs. Tire pressure is still at 45lbs. It seams to be better. But still a little sway going on but it’s much safer. I think the sway is coming from the flexing of the side walls.
I’m going to be calling Coker tire and hear what they have to say. Off course they are going to blame the shocks and springs. It can’t be the tires!! I never had a problem with my old bias ply tires
Old 09-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
Hello all
I removed the rear drums. Tighten up the backing plates. Re-torqued the rear axle nuts to 90 lbs. Tire pressure is still at 45lbs. It seams to be better. But still a little sway going on but it’s much safer. I think the sway is coming from the flexing of the side walls.
I’m going to be calling Coker tire and hear what they have to say. Off course they are going to blame the shocks and springs. It can’t be the tires!! I never had a problem with my old bias ply tires
Getting a little off topic here but a common oversight made by people when they install the rear hubs is they do not make sure there is absolutely no oil or grease on the taper either on the axle or in the hub. No matter how much you tighten the nut, if there is lubrication in there, they will not hold.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #26
J Franklin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
How old were your bias ply tires? If older then the rubber could have been quite stiff, and now you are riding on softer material. Are the springs sagging? I doubt the tires, if running true, are the problem.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #27
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Try 50 psi and see if you can tell a difference.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #28
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
How old were your bias ply tires? If older then the rubber could have been quite stiff, and now you are riding on softer material. Are the springs sagging? I doubt the tires, if running true, are the problem.

Tread depth can affect drivability as well. Old thin tread tires tend to feel like they grip the road better than new thicker tread tires. The thicker tread sometimes gives a swishy feel to the ride.

I notice this more on my Mazda Miata. The old radial tires tend to hug the road stiffly, but new ones will feel springy until they wear down a bit. For me, that’s just one of the trade offs of moving to new rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #29
1931 flamingo

What condition are your shocks and springs in?? 50 lbs sounds like way TOO much to me, what is max inflation noted on sidewall??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #30
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Getting a little off topic here but a common oversight made by people when they install the rear hubs is they do not make sure there is absolutely no oil or grease on the taper either on the axle or in the hub. No matter how much you tighten the nut, if there is lubrication in there, they will not hold.
Ditto
Old 09-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #31
JOHN CT

Okay
I think I’m getting closer to a safer model a. The sway is getting 75% better. With all of the adjustments I’ve been doing it’s getting better. So far I found the LR backing plate was lose. And the steering wheel had too much play. I used the method to adjust the steering box
http://modelaclub.com/archives/tech-tips/981

It’s better! But now it’s squishy. I think it’s just the flexing of the side walls. And I’m at 45 lbs what I’m worried about over inflation. My next thing to try is to start dropping the pressure and se if I get the sway back

Again never had this problem with bias ply tires
Old 09-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #32
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
What condition are your shocks and springs in?? 50 lbs sounds like way TOO much to me, what is max inflation noted on sidewall??
Paul in CT
I'am wondering weak springs, wrong springs. I started with no shocks and rusty springs and 6.50x16 old tires and a very harsh ride little sway. Now I have Stipe shocks and repaired the old springs 4.50 x 19 tires, and the rear can sway or lean when turning. A pan hard bar might help but what's needed is a anti sway bar!!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #33
bdtutton

I have a 1930 Tudor that had bias ply Firestone tires on for years. Last year I put a set of American Classic Tubed Radial Whitewalls (Made in USA) on my car and have put 5000 miles on the car in the last year. I run 35psi of pressure in the tires so they always look a little low, but they are GREAT TIRES that ride nice, run quiet and show no signs of wear. I would buy the tires again. It makes the car drive a lot like a modern car.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote