Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
rol1949

Default 6 volt to 12 volt conversion

I would like to convert my 6 volt system in my 1949 F1 pickup to 12 volt. Do I have to buy the $419 kit to change over everything or can I replace just a few items since some say my starter will handle a 12 volt battery. I have a 6 volt heater and also 6 volt dash lights/insruments. I am sure I have to replace the bulbs in my headlights/tailights and old generator.

Please advise as to cost and where to buy all of these items

Thanks,
Rod

Last edited by rol1949; 02-03-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
rol1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
wga

Default Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion

Have you tried the search function? Lots of info.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Steve in Denver

Don't forget to change your turn signal flasher.

A previous owner had converted my '36 to 12 volt, changed all the bulbs. Could not figure out why the aftermarket turn signals would not work. pulled the flasher, it said 6 volt on it.

Trip to the auto parts store, boy are they dumb now adays. "What car is it for?" I said I just need an aftermarket flasher, But for what car. If I tell you, you wont have it. But what car. OK, 1936 Ford with aftermarket flashers. Oh, we don't have that. Ya, I know. Do you have an aftermarket one. I don't know, you can go look on the wall. Yippi, yes they had one, but not because they knew they had it. Damn Kids!
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rol1949 View Post
I would like to convert my 6 volt system in my 1949 F1 pickup to 12 volt. Do I have to buy the $419 kit to change over everything or can I replace just a few items since some say my starter will handle a 12 volt battery. I have a 6 volt heater and also 6 volt dash lights/insruments. I am sure I have to replace the bulbs in my headlights/tailights and old generator.

Please advise as to cost and where to buy all of these items

Thanks,
Rod
You pretty much know what you have to do.
The voltage drop to the gauges can be handled by one post 1955 Ford voltage drop unit.
The heater motor will run on 12 volts (just faster).
If you have a radio there are two factors to consider, voltage drop and polarity.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
30-9

Generator/ alt
Old 02-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
drolston

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Been done thousands of times.
- Change all bulbs to their 12 volt equivalent. Find a conversion table on line.
- Install Runtz step down converters for all of the dash instruments. All of the old Ford parts companies carry them. $20 each at Speedway; probably need three.
- You can use your 6 volt starter but if you ever have to crank a long time, it may spit out some solder and fail. I recommend converting by buying a 12v starter for a FE series Ford engine (around 1963; maybe $55) and use the housing with field coils on the armature and end plates of your existing starter. Be sure to use the little brace that goes from the starter housing to an oil pan bolt.
- I assume you are mounting a 12V alternator. The power wire from the generator becomes the power connection on the alternator. At the regulator you just add the Generator (now alternator) wire to the Battery terminal. The regulator becomes just a convenient junction point. The wire that hooked to the old generator field terminal can be removed or used to ground the alternator case by taking the field wire at the regulator off of the field connection and hooking it to ground.
- I converted heater motor and windshield wiper motors to 6 volts by using CPT voltage converters, but other brands are available. Needs to be rated at 7 amps or 42 watts.
- The horn will work but sound different. I have tried resistors and other step down converters, but nothing that works on the vibrator horns. You should change the horn relay to 12 volts; easy switch.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
fordrodsteven

you can go to Gil's garage at the CTCI Thunderbird web site. There is an article regarding conversion of '55 birds to 12V.
https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/6to12.php
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
JeffB2

Best info: http://www.ebay.com/gds/6-to-12-Volt...1571127/g.html You should find this handy also,see post # 2 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...volt-bulb.html
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Didn't look at the links posted above, but you need to get the coil straightened out. With 12v neg ground, the + side of the coil goes to the ignition switch and the - side goes to the distributor. Need a 12v coil that has the proper internal resistance or a coil and a ballast resistor. What you need to end up with is around 6 ohms, either a 6 ohm coil or a 3 ohm coil with a 3 ohm ballast resistor.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
chap52

When I changed mine over to 12 volts I chose a 12 volt alternator with built in regulator and eliminated the regulator all together. Also went with a Petronics electronic dist kit and the proper 1.5 ohm coil. Since then I changed to a "Bubba's" GM dist which I like much better. Voltage drop for original gauges and change out of bulbs to 12 volts. I used the original 6 volt starter for many years before going with a 12 volt one.
I still have the original dist with Petronics unit in it in my " box of "stuff" if you want to go that way. Believe it needs a new cap . PM me if interested. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 AM   #11
Henry Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Didn't look at the links posted above, but you need to get the coil straightened out. With 12v neg ground, the + side of the coil goes to the ignition switch and the - side goes to the distributor. Need a 12v coil that has the proper internal resistance or a coil and a ballast resistor. What you need to end up with is around 6 ohms, either a 6 ohm coil or a 3 ohm coil with a 3 ohm ballast resistor.

I thought it was 3 ohms...either by a 3 ohm ballast resisted fitted coil or a 1.5ohm coil with a seperate 1.5 ohm ballast resistor?

Please clarify as Im in the process of doing this at present on my 36,

Thanks.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Didn't look at the links posted above, but you need to get the coil straightened out. With 12v neg ground, the + side of the coil goes to the ignition switch and the - side goes to the distributor. Need a 12v coil that has the proper internal resistance or a coil and a ballast resistor. What you need to end up with is around 3 ohms, either a 3 ohm coil or a 1.5 ohm coil with a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
Corrected the ohms!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Double post!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
I thought it was 3 ohms...either by a 3 ohm ballast resisted fitted coil or a 1.5ohm coil with a seperate 1.5 ohm ballast resistor?

Please clarify as Im in the process of doing this at present on my 36,

Thanks.
You are correct, must have been half asleep on that post! or maybe completely asleep.