Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
flathead47

Default 46-48 steering column factory turn signal assembly

At the V8 eastern meet in Saratoga Springs this year I noticed several 1946 to 1948 cars had what appeared to be a factory turn signal assembly as part of the steering column hub.
It was not the clamp on aftermarket unit.
Was this an option or only on Mercury vechicles.
Having trouble locating the assembly or information about them.
I would like to install one on my 47 ford convertible ....Thanks
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: 46-48 steering column factory turn signal assembly

Although none of the sales promotional literature mentions turn signals as an optional accessory, the parts book does list it as a stock Ford accessory here:

Sorry, the parts book has no picture or diagram of the apparatus, just these part descriptions and numbers.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Displayman

We have the factory turn signal in our 47 Merc.
Works great. Took a bit of soldering to get it working correctly,
very fine wires.
Good luck ,
Bob
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Although none of the sales promotional literature mentions turn signals as an optional accessory, the parts book does list it as a stock Ford accessory here:

Sorry, the parts book has no picture or diagram of the apparatus, just these part descriptions and numbers.
The turn signal shown here on page 721 of the Ford chassis parts and accessories catalogue aka "The Green Bible" is actually the 1949-1950 Ford clamp on turn signal assy SXTS-B. The 49-50 Ford part number was an OA prefix but for fitting the kit to the 1942-1948 Ford column it is under this part number 6A-18440,you notice that on down the list some of the components have the OA prefix. The green bible only covers the years 1928-1948 but look inside the front cover and you will see it was compiled in November 1950 and list replacement parts,not neccesarily an original part. The SXTS-B clamp on turn signal I think would be the most correct to put on the 1942-1948 Ford and it is a really well built part. I had one on my 1946 Ford that was dealer installed in 1951for the original owner and have used them on most other old Fords I have owned including my 1937 Ford coupe,all with naturally the 1 1/2 " steering column. Too me it is a lot nicer looking unit on a nicely restored 1946 Ford than to look in and see a cheapo Chinaman one.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
frederic

I purchased a 47-48 mercury steering column with the turn signal provision. do not have the PARTS complete it but found that the Mercury column is 6 inches longer than the ford one's column came with slightly different hub behind the wheel and a tube from hub to drop lock for wiring.
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
johnny

As has been mentioned the hub is different so you have to find a Mercury tube and hub.to separate the hubs is an impossible job The merc tube is longer and maybe it can be shortened It is also hard to find the switch.I suggest you find a tube housing with switch fron a later model ie 50-1or2 up You also need the sleeve that slides on to the bottom of the steering wheel ,it cancels the switch when the wheel is turned .
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
flathead47

Is the diameter of the Mercury hub the same as the Ford hub as I would still want to use the Ford steering wheel on the Mercury assembly.
Old Henry , thanks for the Ford mumbers.
Displayman , do you have a picture of the Mercury assembly with the steering wheel off.
37Coupe , do you have a picture of the factory assembly you have used.
Johnny , will the 47 steering wheel bolt up to the later model column and match the hub diameter.
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Displayman

Hey Flathead47,
I can't find the pics I took of the switch with the steering wheel off.
I will keep looking.
Good luck,
Bob
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
37 Coupe

This is the picture of the turn signal option Ford provided for the 1949-1950 Fords by 1951 they finally incorporated it into the column hub. Interesting that Mercury was way ahead of this but I have never seen or paid attention to early Mercury types. This is the one Ford dealers installed on earlier Fords also like my 1946 Ford and I have this type now on my 1937 Ford. Made for Ford by Essex wire or RBM right here in my hometown,wish I could find someone who has a case of them stashed somewhere. They show up on Ebay all types of condition and prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turn signal.jpg (108.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
TomO

There were 3 Turn Signal kits for the 42-48 Mercury. They were not available for the Ford.

Kit 29A-18440 was used in 1942 Mercury
Kit 59A-18440 was used in the 46-47 Mercury, the lever, switch and wiring are different from the 42.
Kit 6M-18440 was used on the 47-48 Mercury, the lever, switch and wiring are different.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
bill48merc

There was an option for turn signals on '42-48 Mercury. I have found the part number for the switch and the wiring assys. I want one for my '48 Merc cpe., but as yet, have had no luck. Ford offered one which clamped to the outside of the column, not unlike the aftermarket versions, but Mercury had an actual inside-the-column version like modern cars. My '41 Lincoln Continental had them stock, but I don't know if the switch was the same one used in Mercurys or not. I talked to a guy in Denver who has a '47 Merc wagon that has them, and he says it's the only one he's ever seen. He's an old time Ford-Merc guy, so they must have been rare.
bill48merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
coolcoupe

Could a person take an assembly from a 1950 and up and make it work?
coolcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #13
bluecollarbill

I was able to pick up an NOS SXTS-B turn signal kit at Hershey for my '46 super deluxe. I am guessing that there was an installation diagram and/or instruction sheet for the dealer to use to install this kit. Any chance anyone out there might have one or could steer me towards where I might find one ?

Many thanks !!
bluecollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #14
corvette8n

You should be able to figure it out with an ohmmeter, are you going to add auxiliary lights or change your existing sockets to dual filament?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
bluecollarbill

There are two dual filament bulbs with wired sockets in the kit - which I assume are for the front marker lights. There are additional pre-cut wires with terminals in the kit that probably run to the front and back of the car, along with clips and brackets apparently to secure the wires in place. I agree I can probably figure it out with an ohm meter and some time under the dash - but since this is a Ford option I would like to install it as the dealer would have if possible. There is another one for sale on ebay and is shows an instruction sheet with it - I am hoping someone out there will have one they can scan and send to me or know where I can find one
bluecollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
5851a

I did remove one of the clamp on Ford switches from a 49 that was laying on a river bank. Installed on a 48, it had a cancelling tab bolted to a hole on the backside of the steering wheel. Had to figure out the wiring on my own as the donor was to far gone and a snake pit.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
rg130

Here is a photo of a Mercury turn signal unit in a 48 Ford. I took the picture at the 2013 Tahoe Grand National meet. As I recall, the owner stated that he had to shorten the column as the Mercury is a little longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8475.jpg (68.4 KB, 83 views)
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
V12Bill

I had a '46 Mercury steering box and column a few years ago. The top of the column was set up to have turn signals installed, but it was empty. It appeared to me that the hub inside was the same as the Lincoln from '42 to '48. I may be wrong, but it might be worth while to check out for parts.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote