Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default 59 V8 rebuild, no oil pressure, NO LONGER

Got 32 lbs now, turning over, 6 volt, plugs out,
just as a number of Barners said, thanks for all the comments
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
29AVEE8

Default Re: 59 V8 rebuild, no oil pressure, NO LONGER

Please tell us of the resolution.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, I think this is some background info.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...4779&showall=1

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
Got 32 lbs now, turning over, 6 volt, plugs out,
just as a number of Barners said, thanks for all the comments
Way to go!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
OLD AS I

Well, 1st thing I must do is mention its a full flow system, why I used the term 95% I don't know other then when I was trying to decide which way to go I asked on here and based on comments I decided on full flow.
So using all the comments I checked my plumbing and all was right, did change the fittings at the pressure gauge outlet a bit.
So I removed the prefilled oil filter, thought that was a good idea to prefill it, always do that when doing an oil and filter change, now wondering if when I do the next oil change on this CAN I NOT PREFILL THE NEW FILTER ?
Turned engine over without a filter and finally oil came out.
Inst'd an empty oil filter and turned it over with 12 volts to starter a number of times, was getting concerned about damage to starter using large 12 volt RV/MARINE battery so went back to 6 volt, had removed out line from filter and when oil started coming out inst'd line and continued cranking, saw oil (in plastic line) starting to go to gauge, stopped cranking to cool solenoid and get a Guinness, when Guinness gone recranked, got to 32 lbs.
Whole problem seemed to be the prefilling of the filter and being impatient, thanks to all for the comments, sure feels good when some thing comes together, feels 110% better than my friends who have their work done by others.
Now back to doing the 2 piece distributor/wiring
Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
flathead4rd

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
YES! Never prefill the new filter when changing the oil and filter on a full flow system.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
OLD AS I

flathead4rd, so when Ive removed the dirty filter I inst a new dry one, it takes some time to get the oil circulating again, could that not be bad for a running engine, like no oil pressure and no oil pumping with engine running, would it be best to crank the engine to get oil pressure then start it ? Am not sure but I'd guess it was like a good minute of cranking to fill the filter
Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Quote:
...stopped cranking to cool solenoid and get a Guinness, when Guinness gone recranked, got to 32 lbs.
Guinness to the rescue again. Marvelous stuff!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Not sure where this information cimes from, but I've always filled the filter before putting it on. It just makes sense. Why make the pump fill the filter, any good reason??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
cas3

i wouldn't think of starting my old diesel dodge without filling the filter. its huge, over a quart i think. some cummins guys even put a prelube pump on that you run before every cold start to pressurize the oil system. my other daily drivers have a side mounted thing that cant be filled, or i would fill them too. seems to me a flathead ford is no different
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
40cpe

I have a theory, only my opinion, why to not pre-fill a filter on an un-primed pump: If a pump is not primed and the filter has oil in it, the pump gears have to compress air against the full oil filter in order pull oil from the sump. This could make it more difficult to prime the pump. If the filter is empty, air can pass through the filter, hence less pressure for the pump to overcome. I think once the pump is primed, pre-filling the filter will work.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Ronnie

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/Literature/TSB/93-1R1.pdf

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
jake197000

i pre lube my engines with a pre lube tank hooked to the oil sender passage.that way everything has oil on start up.it can see why you would turn it over to get oil pressure but that can wipe the oil and assembly lue off the bearings if cranked too long.you can by them but i made my own.use it on every engine from old to new.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm with Ron (and some others) I have always pre-filled oil filters to at least soak the filter material. If you are concerned about some type of blockage will priming the pump. Remove the filter and just place a catch container under the filter fixture. Prime the oil pump until there is oil to the fixture and put the filter back on.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #15
flatjack9

There are many engines where the filter is not vertical and can not be filled prior to mounting.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Guess that depends on your prospective, there are several engines that have horizontal oil filters. I always pre fill them. If you completely fill the filter and let it set almost all of the oil will be absorbed into the filter materal. I normally fill them several times to get the filter element saturated. Then you just tip it onto the threads and spin it on. The way I have always done it.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #17
flathead4rd

Quote:
flathead4rd, so when Ive removed the dirty filter I inst a new dry one, it takes some time to get the oil circulating again, could that not be bad for a running engine, like no oil pressure and no oil pumping with engine running, would it be best to crank the engine to get oil pressure then start it ? Am not sure but I'd guess it was like a good minute of cranking to fill the filter
Yes, that's what I've done for the last ten years or more. No problems. Cranking with the starter takes a lot longer than running the engine. I usually have oil pressure within 30 seconds. I don't know of any flathead that can't run without oil pressure for a minute unless it's a fresh rebuild.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
OLD AS I

Well I'm still concerned about what to do with the oil/filter change, prefill or start it dry so I thought I'd get in touch with the guy I got it from, chaps name is Phil Goller, web site is http://gollershotrods.com/
Following is my email to him .............
Hello Phil
I got one of the full flow pumps from you, actually picked it up from you at the last fall Hershey meet.
Got it inst'd and getting 32 lbs pressure using a 6 volt battery during turning engine over, not had it running yet.
Have a question, when I go to drain the crankcase and install a new filter can I prefill the filter or does it have to be empty as it needed to be at the initial installation ?
If it should be empty can I at least prefill it, let it drain so the filter fibers have soaked up the oil ?
Following is the reply I got ..............
Hi Chris
Pressure sounds ok for just turning on the starter.
If you pre fill the filter you can get a air pocket in the oil line,
Sometimes if a filter has been per filled I remove the spark plugs, put the filter on but leave it loose crank the starter until I get oil at the filter, then tighten it up and the air will be out. Kind of messy but it works.
When I change oil in my flatheads I just put 6 qt of oil in and put the filter on dry and start it up.
Well for peace of mind I think I'll prefill, remove plugs (can inspect, clean etc them at this time) leave filter loose and crank with ignition off until oil appears then tighten filter, crank to get oil pressure then inst plugs.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
Lawrie

I have the full flow setup on my 33,with oil filter,I just did an oil and filter change yesterday,(after 3300klms on our trip).
I just drained the oil took the old filter off,FILLED the new filter with oil ,put it on,refilled the oil,hit the starter took 2 seconds before oil pressure came up no worries,
Seems once the system has been running,the oil pump is full and so are the lines.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote