Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #41
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: Dec. 7th comming up. who can remember ???

I can, Dec 7 1985 the day I got married...like Pearl that burned. I wasn't around for the original but I'm well versed on the subject being a "student" of WWI & II history.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #42
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
M y folks both graduated from high school in 1942 and all thru their lives kept very clear and distant memories of those days as they came up on the calendar every year.
My Dad Volunteered in 1943 and was sent to Belgium where he fought and was captured and escaped from the germans in the battle of the bulge Dec.17th 1944 He wrote his story and a lot of it is told in the book "Citizen Soldier" by Stephen Ambrose an author and historian who helped with the series Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan among others!

i have always tried to repeat these memories to my children through their lives as well!
I've read all the Stephen Ambrose books in the WWII series and the one about Lewis and Clarke the US explorers ( Undaunted Courage). I've also read Hugh Ambroses The Pacific. reading history of any kind makes you appreciate what you have today and not just take it for granted.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #43
Joe AZ

I wasn't born until 1951, but my uncle was stationed on the USS Tennessee the morning of the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor. He witnessed first hand the destruction of the Arizona, as they were moored just fore of it. My dad fought in Europe, including Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, and at the end of the war, liberated a concentration camp / rocket manufacturing facility in Nordhausen. Both men were lucky enough to survive the war, and later raise and provide for families. It's unfathomable to me that having witnessed what they did, they were able to return home and live "normal" lives. The sacrifices their generation made are unequaled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Version_1.jpg (51.1 KB, 47 views)
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #44
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Immler View Post
God rest the souls of all who perished in WW II. The rag heads sure are lucky they weren't pulling their crap on us back in our forefathers day.
yup we would have turned where the Bastards live into glass! doesn't lots of heat and sand make glass?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #45
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AZ View Post
I wasn't born until 1951, but my uncle was stationed on the USS Tennessee the morning of the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor. He witnessed first hand the destruction of the Arizona, as they were moored just fore of it. My dad fought in Europe, including Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, and at the end of the war, liberated a concentration camp / rocket manufacturing facility in Nordhausen. Both men were lucky enough to survive the war, and later raise and provide for families. It's unfathomable to me that having witnessed what they did, they were able to return home and live "normal" lives. The sacrifices their generation made are unequaled.
After reading the postcard, now I have goosebumps on top of the other goosebumps.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #46
john worden

I was born in 47 soon after my parents were discharged from the US Navy and US Coast Guard.
I too have read the history books and am flat in awe of those who served in WWII and the service members who served since then. My service time was a cake walk compared to most.
It seems we are being tested again and it's time the pols got out of the way and let leaders lead.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #47
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by john worden View Post
It seems we are being tested again and it's time the pols got out of the way and let leaders lead.
We are beyond "being tested again".......we're already in deep "stuff" of a dozen different sorts. Where is this leader you speak of? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #48
OLDTINDEALER

Born in 1966 but Dad and Uncle rushed out and joined Army Air Core. Figured it would better then drafted and told where to fight. Still proud to say the only Mitsubishi my family has ever owned was painted on the side of a P51 Mustang.
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #49
john worden

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
We are beyond "being tested again".......we're already in deep "stuff" of a dozen different sorts. Where is this leader you speak of? DD
The leader I speak of is the US Military. Turn them loose.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #50
Bill S

If we handled WW 1 and WW 2 like all of the other WARS since, we would have lost. (Not police action and other names that the wars have been called)
I remember Dec 7th I was 6.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #51
1 Raggedy Ride

I wasn't born 'til a few years after, but I can remember, as a young boy, there were the movies that were taken of the attack, shown on the T.V., every Dec. 7th....and every Dec. 7th since then, I can remember, the feeling of compassion and helplessness, just seemed to grow..... Joe Immler , in an above posting, is right and said it best......I think it's time to close the boarders, allowing all of the "WHOSAINS " in , and deport the ones that are here.....this is a world wide crisis, and it's going to get worse.... just my personal opinion.......and with that said, have you thought of who your going to vote for, the next President of the United States of America. ???.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #52
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Raggedy Ride View Post
.......and with that said, have you thought of who your going to vote for, the next President of the United States of America. ???.
I hope that somehow, that ain't gonna be too late! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #53
39topless

[QUOTE=1 Raggedy Ride;1201647] Joe Immler , in an above posting, is right and said it best......I think it's time to close the boarders, allowing all of the "WHOSAINS " in , and deport the ones that are here.....

Sure glad this wasn't the policy when my ancestors arrived!
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #54
robert dick

i remember it like it was last week -- 3 of us in my sunroom in Arlington Ma , playing Monopoly, when the announcement came over the radio. The sad part is they do not teach kids anything about WW2 in schools today.
I was showing a couple of 12 yr olds my M1 garands and also an M15, one of them looked at me a said about the M1, 'they actually carried that , it' so heavy
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #55
Prawbly

Send a message via AIM to Prawbly

I remember Dec. 7th. I carried an M-1 and know it was very heavy. I was in the Army from 1962 to 1965 in Germany. God less those involved in Pearl, and all those that that serve the Military everywhere they are true heroes
Prawbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #56
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
i remember it like it was last week -- 3 of us in my sunroom in Arlington Ma , playing Monopoly, when the announcement came over the radio. The sad part is they do not teach kids anything about WW2 in schools today.
I was showing a couple of 12 yr olds my M1 garands and also an M15, one of them looked at me a said about the M1, 'they actually carried that , it' so heavy
My weapons from the era are a Winchester M1 carbine and a Remington Rand 1911A1 pistol both 1944. Still amazing to me the manufacturing that switched so quickly to war production. The Remington Rand ofcourse was from their typewriter manufacturing base,the magazines are marked "G" from Remington Rand's General Shaver branch. If we needed these sources today we would have to go to China.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #57
Karl Wescott

While I am way too young, The family story was that on Saturday my grandparents took delivery of a brand new 9N tractor. My grandparents, dad, and his brothers got it oiled up and prepped to try it out Sunday morning... While they were working it my grandmother came running out with the news that Pearl Harbor was under attack. I have the tractor.

My grandfather had been gassed at Verdun in WW1, he became an officer in the Oregon Guard (old farts and kids). Both my dad mom and one of my wife's grandmothers served as aircraft spotters (at different places). My dad served in the Oregon Guard for most of high school (one of his stories was two friends assigned a BAR... and brought it to school to show off), then he enlisted in the Navy while 17, but the fighting stopped while he was still in training. My mom's parents both worked building Liberty ships.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #58
Ol' Ron

Kimmel and Short were both fired. But, McArther, who had 12 hours warning walked away clean after everyaircraft he had was wiped out on the ground. Politics, ain't great.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #59
flatheadfan

I am a pre-war issue. The day the bombing occurred I was over at my grandparents' house while my parents were off to see a movie. The radio was on when the announcement came. Everyone in the room was dead quiet. I didn't understand what had happen but I could tell things had changed and somehow I knew things would never be the same. All of my uncles were in various branches of the Army. All eventually came home. My dad (due to his math background), spent the entire War stateside teaching navigation to future Navy fliers.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #60
Capn John

A family friend Paul G. Chandler. USMC, 4th Marines, was captured the first day of the war in Shanghai, China, along with 3 other Marines and elsewhere in China all the Marines stationed there.
The Japs felt he and the other 3 were part of the embassy staff and he and the 3 were exchanged for Japanese diplomatic personnel elsewhere. The rest of the Marines spent the war as POWs. In September 1942 he was exchanged, promoted to Captain, went on to the Guam invasion as a Major and Iwo Jima as a Lt. Colonel with the 3rd Marine Division. Among his awards was the Legion of Merit.
Returned in 1946 and was married shortly thereafter.
I believe he saw the whole war!!!

Last edited by Capn John; 12-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote