Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

I am looking for info on paint formulas for the 1955 Ford INTERIOR colors. Specifically the Blue colors used on the dash and garnish mouldings.
I can find lots of color charts and chip info for EXTERIOR paint , but not much on INTERIOR paint. I think they are slightly different.
Thanks
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
MplsMike

Default Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

Here is a link to DuPont’s library for ‘55 Fords. I didn’t see any interior colors. I searched and searched for interior colors for my ‘56 and never found any paint codes. I ended up taking the glove box door off and having a paint shop scan and match the paint.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclc...-Ford-pg01.jpg
MplsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Question Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

What is the INTERIOR TRIM CODE on the PATENT PLATE?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
scicala

Steve, it sounds like you decided to change from the original brownish color of the interior metal pieces. If you decide to stay with the brownish, like mentioned earlier, If you take unfaded examlpes to a paint store, they can probably match it. There are some nice unfaded surfaces on some of the dash parts and back side of garnish moldings.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
fordrodsteven

Seems to me that interior and exterior color is the same. I know on my 1955 Thunderbird the whole car, from the factory, is painted inside and out. The engine compartment, interior, and exterior all painted at the same time at the factory. Maybe yours looks like a slightly different shade inside because of the exterior getting weathered more than the interior. The trim codes on the Thunderbird refer more to upholstery rather than telling me what color the interior is painted. The only difference is that the dash, at the bottom, is painted with a texture of some sort and not a smooth finish like the exterior.
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

55 Ford car interior paint codes:

Dark Blue Ford Code M0389, Dupont Codes 2151, 202-58747

Medium Blue Ford Code M0388, Dupont Codes 2150, 202-58746

For the Customline and Fairlane series cars, the dash is divided by a bright metal trim strip. The paint at the top of the dash and the entirety of all the window garnish mouldings are mixed with very fine metal flake. The dash, below the trim line is non-metallic, but otherwise the exact same formula as the paint at the top of the dash.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
steve fritz

Dave...thanks for the info on the interior paint. Do you happen to have some pictures of your 55 interior? Particularily the dash and seats area. If you can email me direct and attach the pictures , that would help me visualize this paint scheme.
Thanks for any help you can give.
[email protected]
Steve
Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
delco1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
55 Ford car interior paint codes:

Dark Blue Ford Code M0389, Dupont Codes 2151, 202-58747

Medium Blue Ford Code M0388, Dupont Codes 2150, 202-58746

For the Customline and Fairlane series cars, the dash is divided by a bright metal trim strip. The paint at the top of the dash and the entirety of all the window garnish mouldings are mixed with very fine metal flake. The dash, below the trim line is non-metallic, but otherwise the exact same formula as the paint at the top of the dash.
I'd be very interested to see pictures of this too! Is this how they came from the factory? Would this be true for Crown Victoria's too?
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post
I'd be very interested to see pictures of this too! Is this how they came from the factory? Would this be true for Crown Victoria's too?
The Crown Vic is a Fairlane series car, so yes.
The sheet I saw that listed the interior paint colors did not include black and white, so there were exceptions as in; black at top of dash and white below the trim line, and there were many of those, particularly if the car exterior was black or white or two-toned black/white, but many Customline cars with a black exterior had blue or green interiors.
Sorry, no photo's. If a car had a blue or green interior, there was one paint color used. Back in the old days, you used to be able to buy separate tin cans full of automotive metal flake to mix in with whatever enamel you were using. Having the bottom of the dash painted solid and the top painted the same color as the bottom, but with metal-flakes makes the dash look like it is painted two different colors, but it is not.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

The sheet I saw that listed the interior paint colors did not include black and white, so there were exceptions...
Was this sheet a FORD PUBLICATION or paint manufacturer's sheet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100793.jpg (41.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
tjaybo

I can not speak to the blue color schemes but on my buckskin tan/white 55 fairlane club sedan there were 2 distinct different interior colors. The top of dash and window garnish were painted with a copper metallic and the bottom ,below the stainless trim piece, was buckskin. The copper color I refer to was not buckskin with metallic added. These were all original colors and very difficult for the paint shop to duplicate given todays available tints. Having the paint codes from all the different companies did no good what so-ever. Then again I live in Ca. Good luck on getting the correct paint mixed. Like said above take a piece in to the paint shop, a good old school one, and get them to match it as best they can.
Cheers Jim
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
scicala

And the Mainlines, base Ranch Wagons and Couriers had no dividing trim strip with the dash all the same color. (along with the unique steering wheel and horn button).

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

Here is a little more info -

Without all of the Dealer/MPC/Service Bulletins info, it will be nearly impossible to say what was and wasn't. It all depended on the model level, trim level and possibly what period of the model run assembly. And you can't solely go on just paint vendors information.

Most 1955 Interior Trim info was deleted on the 49/59 MPC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior Color - 1952-55 FORD - EXT-INT _2 - (1955).jpg (61.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
steve fritz

KULTULZ....thanks for your dash picture. Is your car AQUATONE on the exterior?
Also, is the interior dash and all the garnish mouldings the same color as the exterior, or are their two shades in the interior?
Thanks!
Steve
Old 05-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post

KULTULZ....thanks for your dash picture. Is your car AQUATONE on the exterior?
That is a random photo off the net. Was trying to show paint scheme variances between models (Fairlane, etc).

Quote:
Also, is the interior dash and all the garnish mouldings the same color as the exterior, or are their two shades in the interior?
All depends upon the INTERIOR TRIM CODE of the car. It will give info as to how the trim-out is detailed. If you look closely at the DUPONT CHART, you will see how some EXTERIOR COLORS are also used on the interior.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Lightbulb Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

All of the info you guys are seeking should be within the publication(s) shown below.

Just realized that FORD CATALOGING of this period was spread instead of most being located in the PARTS CATALOG(s) style(s) of later.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Ford just had Chassis Parts and Body Parts with a small Accessory Parts book for a time but they spread stuff out more and more as the 50s progressed. Throwing the Edsel in there in 1958 just made things even more complex.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Lightbulb Re: INTERIOR PaintColors for 1955 Ford

OK ...

Here is a web page showing detail on the 1956 FORD -

http://1956-ford.com/1956-ford-data-...ml#one-and-two

This is how the info was presented in that time period. 1955 has to be somewhere on the net.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
OK ...

Here is a web page showing detail on the 1956 FORD -

http://1956-ford.com/1956-ford-data-...ml#one-and-two

This is how the info was presented in that time period. 1955 has to be somewhere on the net.
Nice engine detail but am I mistaken or does it have an 8 volt battery but the blower motor is labelled 12 volt?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post

Nice engine detail but am I mistaken or does it have an 8 volt battery but the blower motor is labelled 12 volt?
That is one method to upgrade the 6V electrical system. It uses an 8V BAT and the GEN/VR has to be upgraded/adjusted to keep the BAT charged.

The other method is to isolate and retain the car electrical system (6V) and upgrade the charging/starting system to 12V.

- WHY IS IT ... -