Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Some_Amateur

Exclamation Looking for some tips about a seized 239... Complete newbie to engine work.

Title says most of it, I've never worked on an engine in my life (closest I've come is replacing a spark plug on a snowblower motor, only auto work I've ever done is front disk brakes on my dad's Ranger), but I'm interested in a '52 Customline for sale near me. The FoM tranny is apparently in good shape, and were the engine freed, it would supposedly run alright.
That, of course, is where the issue arises: What's the easiest way for someone with as little experience as I to take care of that? Would it be better to let a professional handle it? I've read that you can soak an engine in molasses or diesel fuel for a few months, but I figured I'd ask around. Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Some_Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Looking for some tips about a seized 239... Complete newbie to engine work.

Hi Everyone. Some_Amateur, Welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

How soon do you want to drive this car down the road reliably?

If you don't want to piss-away some money, I'd suggest you get some advice from other old-car dudes on site. Check out Early Ford V-8 Club Regional Groups nearby... http://www.earlyfordv8.org/Regional_Club_Directory.cfm

A stuck engine and an automatic transmission that should work are just the tip of the iceberg to get a running and driving and stopping car.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
LBs 37V8

Default Re: Looking for some tips about a seized 239... Complete newbie to engine work.

Some... Welcome to Ford Barn!

If you'll click on "User CP" above in the black header under FORD BARN, and then go to "my profile" you can then edit/your location. By adding your location, you'll make it easier for someone to respond to your request, and might even find that there's someone nearby who can give you some guidance.
LBs 37V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
corvette8n

If you are eager to learn, the flathead is a fairly simple motor, I put two new Pistons rings, rod bearings in my 50' when I was 17yo(with my Dads help), l did all the wrenching, he just told me where to start. I did have to jack up the motor to get the pan off. I'd start by pulling the heads and intake manifold, filling the cylinders with a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF, then use a breaker bar to try turning the motor over, don't force any thing let the mixture work.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
drfrankenklein

It depends on the severity of the seizure to put in words best what needs to be done. Also why was it seize up? lack of oil or moisture in engine causing rust? Sometimes you get away with Marvel mystery oil/or some sort of penetrating oil like Kroil poured down into the spark plug holes then letting it sit for a week or two or three. I have been lucky in time with a few Flathead V8's freeing them up but the situation was ultimately they need a re-ring or rebuilding. Rust does damage to ring surfaces with pitting..As the people here are stating look for a local person in your area that has been breaking knucles on these Flaties and I am sure they can help you out. I am willing to coach you over the telephone if you send me a private message for number. I hope this helps some.

Last edited by drfrankenklein; 09-08-2016 at 09:45 AM.
drfrankenklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
britman

Patience pays off. I once had a six cylinder Healey motor with all six bores seized. It took about six months of gently tapping each piston with a hammer and a wood block. It finally began to move--went on to rebuild it. That was over 25 years and thousands of miles ago. Good luck with your project.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

welcome to the 'Barn....lots of good info here....searching back thru the posts will help with other threads about this very situation.....go slow and good luck....and have fun...Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
39topless

As new as you are to auto mechanics, I would look into taking a class at your local Vo-Tec school and learn from people with experience. The class may want to use your '52 engine for class instruction. Everyone wins.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote