Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Body assembly and Woody plans

Greetings all--newbie here. I just bought my first Model A, and am coming to grips with how much I have to learn. Have joined MAFCA and received vols I and II of Les Andrews' handbook. My car runs fine, but is an assemblage of at least two vehicles, plus some Jed Clampett / Home Depot fabrication. Before I start disassembly I need a manual which shows the correct assembly details. Twenty years ago I built a 57 Chevy pickup, and found the factory assembly manual to be absolutely indispensable, but have not been able to find a similar book for the model A. There are a number of restoration books --are these what I need?? Aft of the windshield the only authentic body parts are the running boards and rear fenders. I think a woody is the most versatile body style to create under these circumstances since I have a good shop and plenty of hardwood lumber. Google has located Pleasantville bodies, and a number of leads to plans, but nothing recent. Are there good plans for a woody body out there? Thanks in advance for any help.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Body assembly and Woody plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Reay View Post
Google has located Pleasantville bodies, and a number of leads to plans, but nothing recent. Are there good plans for a woody body out there? Thanks in advance for any help.
Russell, welcome to Fordbarn.

The owner of Pleasantville passed away a few years ago and so it is no more. There was some plans floating around of a generic Station Wagon body but when compared to the original Ford-built body, it was not close in aesthetics.

If you are not set exactly on originality, I would suggest you do a search here for Huckster. If you are seeking the plans to create something that looks correct, the Benson Ford library has most of the original Engineering Blue Prints for each of the different body parts that makeup a 150 Station Wagon body. FWIW, I have collected most of the blueprints and we are presently remaking a couple of 150B bodies for customers however do understand there are many metal parts (brackets, braces, hinges, latches, fender panels, pans, etc.) that accompany these pieces that are way harder to replicate than the wood pieces. Not trying to discourage you, but to make you aware that those bodies are more complicated than they appear.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
ronn

as Brent said- think huckster and you are golden.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
henry's 31

Hi Russell:

Welcome again to Ford Barn. I purchased my Station Wagon Body from Mike Nickels in Traverse City, Michigan. I can give you his phone if you want it.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
Russell Reay

Thanks for the quick replies. Mike Nickel's contact info would be most appreciated. The huckster is actually closer to my wishes than the standard station wagon. I am not wedded to originality, but I don't want to modify what I have so as to further compromise its future 'cultural' value. They aren't making any more Model A's and one-off rods can be assembled from junk or fiberglass. The idea of fabricating brackets and braces is mostly within my capability , but I would prefer to copy or modify an existing design than to engineer my own, only to discover fatal flaws later. What about an assembly manual--any such thing? If not, what is a good restoration book?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
ronn

on a huckster body, you are mostly on your own. there is a huckster group here that you can join. look them all over and then finalize your wishes with your creation. there is no real right or wrong, as many companies and individuals created there own, back in the day when you could buy your own chassis. also WW2 caused many bodies to be chopped into "trucks" for greater gas rations.
You arent going to have any structural issues, unless you plan on making it out of balsa wood! lol
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
henry's 31

Hi Russell:
Mike Nickels Automotive Woodworking: 231-947-2599

Very experienced and a nice fellow.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
Russell Reay

Ronn-
How do I find the huckster group on this site? For the past several days I have been watching Youtube videos, ordering several Model A restoration books and manuals, and seeing how my car compares to what I have seen and read. I have many questions, but they may be answered in the books--yet to arrive.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
[email protected]

Go to the top of the page. Look at the black color menu tab bar. Open the drop down Community tab. Open Social Groups. Open Huckster group tab. Lots of pixs and useful info here…
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #10
Russell Reay

Got it. Thank you.