Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #21
40 Deluxe

Default Re: A few questions on a 8BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Control View Post
I like that mod to the stand, would be a lot more stable. Well worth the time spent.
And I see you have your engine bolted by the exhaust bolts and not the rear .... I have heard of blocks cracking when hung from the rear ... guess was my question if the 8BA has same issue and should be hung from the side?
I was thinking the issue was limited to older Ford flatheads.

I do have a 49 dodge truck with a flat 6, I used the exhaust bolts on it, the 6 is long and skinny, it looks comfortable sideways on the stand.
The V8 just looks awkward sideways ... I guess this is not a fashion show.
Just taking a break from cleaning the mouse nest out ... it is not pretty, couple lifters are badly rusted from mouse pee.

I think today I will raise it back up on chain hoist, drain the dirty black oil from it.
Then set it back down, upside down. Pull the pan and get a good look at the bottom end.
So far, other then the mouse/lifter problem, is looking like a low mile virgin engine.
Sure am hoping can save it.

You might want to remove the pan before you turn the engine upside down. There is always some oil left after you drain it, and makes a mess when you roll the engine over.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #22
Los_Control

Perfect advice ... expected or not I was not thinking about this ... would be very easy to remove pan while hanging, not make a mess on the floor that needs to be cleaned up.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:37 AM   #23
Ol' Ron

I have alway found that a Clintom Manual from the lat 50s is the best source for information about these early cars and their innards. Made for the backyard mechanic.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:14 AM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I have alway found that a Clintom Manual from the lat 50s is the best source for information about these early cars and their innards. Made for the backyard mechanic.
Me too. Great resources.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #25
Los_Control

So a change of plans, While I still need to disassemble the engine, think I would be wiser to spend some time and see if can get it un-stuck first.
The cyl photo is the worst 2, I think they will clean up.

The last photo is where I think most of problem will be, crusty push rods from mouse pee. But there is only 2 or 3 that look bad. But cleaning up.

New plan is to leave the pan on, acetone/atf, diesel clean and soak everything.
Wash it all down into the pan.

Then actually put a breaker bar on it and see if it will turn. Only attempt to turn it over so far is by hand grabbing the crank pulley.
Starting to think if I get it unstuck, and cleaned up, it would probably run.
Assuming it does not have bad bearings/crank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0731201225.jpg (45.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 0731201228a_Burst20.jpg (45.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 0731201229.jpg (54.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 0729200938a.jpg (187.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 0731201047b.jpg (148.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
Mart

I wouldn't try and turn it. Not with all the valves and lifters like that.
Pull the cam gear and see if the pistons want to move. Loosen the rod bearings so there is free play and see if you can move the stuck pistons within the free play without having to turn everything else.
If you can pull the crank and pistons/rods, you can then tackle the valves. Just look at one at a time, you should be able to get them apart. Then knock the lifters up from below and pull the cam.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
tubman

It doesn't look too bad, given the size of that mouse nest.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #28
leon bee

I took apart a 53 that had sat for years and years. Oil sludge inside, but nothing else had gotten in there. I never figured out why it was abandoned. I could have made it run, but.....when I got the crank out all the bearing shells had been eaten at by being submerged in the ancient oil.
leon bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #29
Los_Control

@mart that is good advice ... was your video I watched earlier when you removed your crusty crank, I think would be better off to get it rotating first if I can. And with a little effort I think it will.

@leon bee I may find same issue. Guy was asking $300 for engine/trans ... it did not sell and moved it out closer to his scrap pile. I offered $100 for it, I expected it to be junk, would need to buy a couple used engines to find something to build.
So I am still trying to prove myself correct, so far is a coin toss which way it goes.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #30
leon bee

Hell, Los, you need more than one anyway. Good to get started on that 2 ton pile you're gonna have.
leon bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #31
rotorwrench

Stuck valves have been known to break cams and cam followers if enough pressure is applied. I got a truck motor once where a farmer had been dragging the truck with a tractor to break it free. It broke alright but it didn't break free. I had a hell of a time getting that one apart. Busted cam and a follower with a valve stem sticking in it plus all the usual crusty pistons and other bad parts finally came out but not without a fight.

A good penetrant like the double A variety (Acetone and ATF 1:1 mix) will work wonders over time. Pouring on some of the modern rust removal products like Evaporust won't hurt on the real crusty stuff if your set up to soak it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-01-2020 at 10:56 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
Los_Control

Ol stinky! .... I have a habit of naming things, Wife car is Lady Belle, my old dodge truck is hound dog hauler. I had another truck project awhile back, I sat in it for the first time, it spoke to me and told me it's name was Molly ..... I get carried away naming things.

I have not been able to work on this motor the last week, had to get Lady Belle ready for a trip to New Mexico.

Back at it today, I pulled the bell housing off and all the pressure plate bolts .... I even took apart the pressure plate .... I know they need to be adjusted, they look pretty robust to me ... do we re-use them?
Tapping it with a hammer, it just wont fall off the flywheel ... I see no other bolts to hold it ... thinking I need a bigger hammer and a pry bar. Unless there is a trick I do not know about, the clutch should fall off the fly wheel.

I pulled the water pumps today, they actually feel real good will check into rebuilding them .... more mouse nest behind them.

Going after the cam gear, I drained the oil. turns out it is not real oil ... it is a mixture of something someone put in it in the past to try and free it up ... man does the oil stink ... I just cant help it, the mouse nest smell terrible, then the old bad oil .... I get within 15 feet of this thing and it smells really really bad. I just cant help it, this motors name is Ol'stinky Sad part is, whatever I put it in, the motor is the heart and the vehicle will carry the name of stinky .... sigh!
Old 08-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #33
tubman

Now we're havin' fun!

If you are going to soak it some more, get some Marvel Mystery Oil; it usually works, but even if it doesn't, it smells good.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #34
Los_Control

Maybe add some brut by menon cologne
Old 08-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
Los_Control

I figure I need to get it cleaned up or machine shop wont accept it ...

Same time I wonder, if it stinks, maybe they work on it first to get rid of it?
Old 08-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #36
Los_Control

Well it has been awhile since I have posted. I have ideas what I might use the motor for in the future, but no immediate plans for it now. So have it on a stand soaking with 50/50 atf/acetone. For several months and adding more as needed.

The cam gear is removed. Issue is either rings or bearings.

The cylinders are clean, no ridge, No size stamped on pistons appears to be stock bore. I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper ... Honestly would not be afraid to run them as is, if it was in a car and getting some other work done.
The oil is running past the rings and draining in the pan eventually.

The valves all look as if the engine was running normal, the last time it was running. While they are not all original with the Ford script logo, we know the engine did get a valve job done in the past.

Here is what I think has happened with this engine in the past.
Pull the pan and the crank is stamped .020.
I think the Farmer over revved it, spun a bearing and had the engine gone through & repaired.
Then he spun a bearing again! .... and parked it. Bet he had a few choice words to say about it too. I think this will be a fine engine with a bit of love.
Not much progress but a update. I hope to get it tore down and to a machine shop for a checkup. Will disassemble it without rotating, hope the offending bearing is easy to get to.

Now I have 2 questions hoping someone can help me with.

1, The pressure plate. I messed up and took it apart. Going to be tricky to compress the springs and put it back together.
The surface needs cleaned but no wear marks, the body & springs have dust on them, it appears to be a new pressure plate when the motor was last worked on.
Is it as simple as just compress the body and install the bolts and torque them down?
Or is there some special voo doo magic needed to assemble a pressure plate?
Need to clean the bench off and wondering if to re-use it or toss it and replace?

2, Having problems understanding how the fuel pump rod works. I want to disassemble for machine shop. Not sure if it is pressed in or is it threaded?
I did put some vice grips on it, did not budge.
This motor did have the mouse nest here, Not sure if it is rusted from mouse pee ... should they just pull out? Are they always difficult? Then the tube is hollow but has no exit point .... is it even needed? Whats it's purpose? Does it run off the cam gear and move up & down to operate the fuel pump?
I know and apologize, stupid questions a correct book could answer ... Just trying to get it to a machine shop & clean bill of health before putting any more money into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0829210951.jpg (52.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #37
tubman

If you are talking about the fuel pump pushrod itself, you should just be able to remove it with three fingers. From what you say, I think the mice got ya'.

As for the clutch, don't fool with it. It's probably worn out anyway. Tell ya' what; when I put the Merc into my '51 Ford 3 years ago, I replaced the clutch, just because. The clutch I pulled out looked fine. I have it all packed up, ready to send it back to Fort Wayne clutch for the $20 core charge. If you want to send me the core charge plus cover the shipping, I'll print a new label and send it to you.

If you have a bad crank, 3 3/4" 8BA cranks are readily available. I myself have one of several that I had checked at the machine shop stacked in the corner. I used the one that the machinist guaranteed would turn .010/.010, while he said this one might have to go .020/.010. Id be willing to make a you a package deal.

That being said, I see you're in Texas so you should be find a comparable deal locally.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #38
Los_Control

Thanks for the tip @tubman ... I have searched but not found any complaints about removing the push rod tube. I will apply some heat to it and work on it.

The engine came out of a truck, I have the 4spd 1rst gear granny trans with the big 11" clutch.
I would use same trans, and size of clutch. Original, just installed in a different truck.
I figured I would replace the clutch disk which also looks new. Just do not trust the 50 year old material.
Since the pressure plate is mechanical, thinking it could be reused and maybe better then what we buy today? I just need to compress it enough to get the bolts back in it?

I assume a rebuilt pressure plate would include a new or resurfaced surface, new springs.
My surface has no wear marks, just crud that needs cleaned ... I assume the springs are fine.
Do we just bolt them back together, or buy a new pressure plate?

Is there any secrets to putting a pressure plate together?

Thanks for the offer on clutch and crank, I assume your car did not have a dump truck clutch in it, and shipping of a crank from Minnesota it may be easier to find one local.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0829211330.jpg (47.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #39
Ol' Ron

when dealing with a bone stock engine that you know vwer little about. I suggest you find an old motors manual form the year of the engine, Ckintons were the best and covered just abourt everything in the car/truck.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #40
Los_Control

Thanks @Ol'Ron I agree with you 100% about manuals. Only manual I have for this motor is the 1958 Motors auto repair manual. I bought it for my project truck a 1949 Dodge. I also have 2 other custom manuals written specifically for that truck ... manuals are great.

While the motors manual is good, it lacks a lot of information need at times for my Dodge.

I can assure you there is no section in there to cover disassemble a Ford V8 after it sat with a mouse nest in it for decades. Or a section that tells you how to assemble the pressure plate after you got drunk and pulled it apart. Am sure we all came home on Friday and disassembled the pressure plate on our cars.
I imagine Hot Rodders did to change the springs to go to the strip & race for the weekend.

I love you Ron, Manual will not help me with mouse pee or my own stupid mistakes.
Just asking for a little help to get it apart without destroying it.