Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
ericr

Default why are so many people fascinated by cars of the 1920s

and not just our Model "A"s, which are so plentiful in comparison to other makes.

it just might be my misperception, but the large exposed fenders, the running boards, the large headlights, the rumble seats, the folding windshields, the wire wheels etc. seem to attract a lot of attention and interest.

does anyone think the association with that decade itself causes an interest, or do you guys think we Model "A" owners are most of the fan base.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Model A Ron

Default Re: why are so many people fascinated by cars of the 1920s

I think your right about

the large exposed fenders, the running boards, the large headlights, the rumble seats, the folding windshields, the wire wheels etc.

As for the people who are interested its a lot more than just us owners. I cannot park my Model A without having someone come up and talk to me about it.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
al's28/33

The styling of cars in the 20s and 30s was a transition period from the antique brass era horseless carriage cars and the streamline designs of the 40's.
They are simply beautiful.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
burner31

It beckons us back in time, it's like finding an old silver coin in your change, the old cars, the old coins...they both touch people in that certain way
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #5
ursus

Growing up in the 1950's, there were many survivors of this earlier era still running around despite the emergence of the fashionable big-finned chrome bedecked monstrosities at every turn. A childhood friend, whose mother had been widowed and struggled financially, drove a '29 Ford coupe as a matter of necessity. It sported the originally paint and was otherwise all-original yet it carried Mom and her two kids everywhere they needed to go. Mr. Brown down the street had a late 20's era Dodge that he occasionally had to start with a crank. My Dad had a '35 LaSalle with seats so plush it was like riding on a cloud despite the smirks from folks passing by on vinyl-seated crap cars like the then current DeSotos and Pontiacs of the time. I could tells some stories...
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
PC/SR

They each had an individual character, even the same make and model. Even our illegitimate cousins the hot rodders saw that, and went even further with their individual ideas.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
Oldbluoval

The fascination depends on age of the beholder
To the older ….a reflection back
To the “not so old” beauty and craftsmanship?
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
rfitzpatrick

I enjoy the entire era: The Dodge Brothers, Flapper Girls, Stock Market, The Flapper Girls,
Buicks, Airplanes and The Flapper Girls!!
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
I enjoy the entire era: The Dodge Brothers, Flapper Girls, Stock Market, The Flapper Girls,
Buicks, Airplanes and The Flapper Girls!!
Yep, the ladies of that era certainly had some style, didn't they?

This was my Grandmother's generation, and they knew how to own it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avatar ready (18).jpg (71.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 201.jpg (96.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 200.jpg (97.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 199.jpg (65.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 183.jpg (75.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 168.jpg (89.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg avatar 86.jpg (57.5 KB, 25 views)
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
nkaminar

This is just my opinion. When I was growing up a neighbor had a brass car and a 1930 true classic. I loved both. The brass car was fascinating from a historical and mechanical standpoint and just looked neat from the oversize wheels to the open front seat to all the brass and gas headlights and starting crank. I thought the classic car was just beautiful with the long hood, small windshield, fantastic grill, and cool wheels. Classic in this sense are the high end cars produced in late 1920's and early 1930's. I think these cars were the height of design and mechanical ingenuity. They generally cost about 10 times the cost of a new Model A or more.

In my post lottery winning world, I would own a nice brass car and a nice classic, plus a nice Model A, which I have, and perhaps an early Stanley without the condenser. I will buy a lottery ticket today.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-06-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fix typo
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
It beckons us back in time, it's like finding an old silver coin in your change, the old cars, the old coins...they both touch people in that certain way
Excellent point. Every now and then, you hear that particular silver quarter "clink" they make when you get change back. It's like hitting the lottery when that happens.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post

Exactly! Although several of my '60s decade high school friends had model A's, the 20's-30's era is really what beckons me. I'm a big Laurel and Hardy fan, and enjoy many of the silent movies from that time too. Every so often I pull the DVD's out and enjoy watching all the mostly skinny people (LOL) living in a simpler time. For me, it all comes together with a machine from that past.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #13
ronn

funny, every time I trailer an antique, I get very little thumbs up or interest here in NJ.

Much more interest it seems in upstate NY. I think some of it is equally regional.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
rfitzpatrick

The stock market crash of '29 ended the Flapper-Girl Era
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #15
dean from bozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
it just might be my misperception, but the large exposed fenders, the running boards, the large headlights, the rumble seats, the folding windshields, the wire wheels etc. seem to attract a lot of attention and interest.
ericr, not "misperception" but spot on perception! I believe that you hit the nails on their heads!
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #16
hazelhoff

Funny to watch different generations reacting on the Model A. I only have to blow the horn to awaken elderly people (I mean 70 plus and more), whereas youngsters (minus 30) don’t give a damn. Very young people even consider the Model A to be ugly !

Having said that, I cherish the ‘after WWII-generation”, at the same time fearing the ‘hobby’ will die with us …
Old 12-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Whenever I drive any of my antiques, from my Model A to my 51 Ford, I get a lot of attention. The A's probably get the most because they are so different from what we see today. I look forward to getting my Model T on the road to see what the reaction to that is?

As a kid my father had a friend who had a 1920's Buick that was his daily driver. I was fascinated by it at an early age. I never got to ride in it, but I think it sparked my interest in old cars when I was 5 or 6 years old.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
Greg Jones

For me, it is about the machine itself. I have no nostalgia for the period in which it was produced. I suppose there is a touch of nostalgia from my youthful days in the early 1960's when these cars were still around and being driven as regular cars versus collector cars. I fell in love with Model A's when our neighbor bought a 31 Tudor from an older woman and took me for a ride in it. The car was, to me anyway, in like new condition. It seemed so plush inside and exuded classiness.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #19
slatgrille

I think it starts at an early age being exposed to things of the past. When I was a kid in the early 70's, we had an old guy approx. 3 miles from us with a barn where he kept his 'collection' of pre-20's original condition cars. It was his private museum that he let the public view for a nominal fee. My brother and I would ride our bikes over and he would let us sit in the cars. It was like a 'time machine'. No shiny, roped off areas that were overly lit up. Just somewhat a dusty and dingy building that had a feel of the 'early days'. Unfortunately, he passed away in the mid-70's and all his stuff was auctioned off. I'll never forget coming home from church with my parents one Sunday around that time and seeing cars lined up on the side of the road as his museum was being liquidated. No trace of any barn or cars remains today. That experience has always been the major factor why I love the era of 1900-30 (except for early Willys jeeps).

His name was Harry Muckler....an old timer with one eye whose dog saved him from a house fire at a younger age. His collection was in the little town of Woolwich, ME where I grew up.
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #20
Redbird

When you are at a car show let the younger generations sit behind the wheel. They will never forget it!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #21
Mulletwagon

Old rides tend to remind us of better days. Cars are the bookmarks in our history. They take us back to events like family vacations with Mom and Dad, high school adventures, easing into adulthood, bringing home that first newborn, and all too soon, teaching that youngster to drive. Think of every car show as "This is Your Life".
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #22
nkaminar

" The A's probably get the most because they are so different from what we see today."

To me the A's are normal and the modern cars (post WW II) are the different cars. I live in the past, at least according to my wife. I guess she is right.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #23
TomInCologne

Sorry, but you are all wide off the mark:

It's because they are so cuuuuuuuuute and all you want to do when you see them is cuddle them...

sorry, could not resist...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #24
woofa.express

Why I am in love with Model A.

I never really liked school. I just wanted out. As I remember most every farm kid felt the same. I also remember the school replaced all the clear glass windows facing “free territory” with opaque glass in an attempt to hold attention in the class room. Never the less my mind wandered.

We were taunted by the older kids who had not long left school driving past in their A’s going oogah. We all longed to be out there- free. Their motorcars looked so much fun, the horn seemed exciting and some had A’s where their buddies sat in the boot. Americans call it a trunk.

That is what drew my attention to the Model A. I have being in love with them ever since. Their simplicity appeals and they have lines comparable and maybe even better than Raqual Welch's. Even if I am not driving I just like look and admire their beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xmas 2017-18.jpg (5.5 KB, 148 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-08-2021 at 08:16 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #25
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
Sorry, but you are all wide off the mark:

It's because they are so cuuuuuuuuute and all you want to do when you see them is cuddle them...

sorry, could not resist...
me personally, the Cadillacs, Packards and Lincolns of the late '20s are gorgeous
Old 12-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

Actually, cars from the twenties are not popular and they are hard to sell. Carsfrom the thirties are much more salable. Although, they began in 1928, Ford, A s are the one exception. I recall one experience a friend had trying to sell a 1922 Studebaker. This car was in immaculate condition, all original! A Phaeton with the original leather seats, top with Ising glass curtains, Studebaker's large block engine that ran beautifully for it's 18,000 Miles. The car needed nothing! However, He had hell of a time selling it. After a while, he sold it out of frustration for $20,000. Why? Dunno! Everyone sincerely agreed the car was a beautiful survivor, but no one wanted to own it! Maybe it was just too primitive with it's vacuum fuel pump, Two wheel brakes, and canvas strap schocks.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #27
Gene F

What URSUS said...I had an engineer I used (he has passed now) and he drove a Model-A back n forth on the weekends to home when he went to college. His dad owned a moving company, and somehow he ended up with an A. It was the only car he had.

The Model-As are about as far back as are desirable though. The cars from the 30s, up till WWII are still very popular. They sure have a distinct look about them.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #28
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
When you are at a car show let the younger generations sit behind the wheel. They will never forget it!
Yeah.....I got a chuckle when my oldest son first checked out my 28ccpu. He blinked, when I showed him the manual windshield wiper.....I'll never forget that look on his face!
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #29
ETAModel

I'm not sure where the attraction for the A comes from. Maybe listening to Dad tell stories about my uncle who hauled nitro-glycerin in the trunk of one before WWII, maybe watching too much of The Walton's, cause that's about all they drove. I have had a love affair with the A for decades, but never rode in one until 2019. Maybe I like the idea of doing a lot with a little, something a 40 hp motor will teach you, maybe its the fact you have to DRIVE the thing, it certainly doesn't drive itself like my modern vehicles.

Maybe someday I'll own one for myself, and not be a "Surragate" owner of the 30 Fordor I drive.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:46 AM   #30
bob from red oak

I am in my 70s and my observation is those in my age range appreciate pre war 20s and 30s cars/trucks. The next generation favors the 60s and 70s muscle cars they could not afford when they were high school. Then the really younger group likes the newer roller skate looking things. Since my generation is thinning out each day it seems more and more Model As are for sale at reasonable prices.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #31
Bob-A

Smile Re: why are so many people fascinated by cars of the 1920s

Three things got me into 20's/30's cars in my younger days in the 1960's:
"The Untouchable's" TV show, a friend of mine at the time had an older brother who had Model-A's. Who liked to chase us kids around the neighborhood with his friends standing on the running boards throwing oranges* at us and my dad who grew up in the roaring 20's and dirty 30's.

Bob-A

* This was in Florida and to us kids Oranges grew everywhere and where only good for throwing at each other!
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #32
Oldbluoval

Somewhere on here I’ve posted this before…..
I’m 74…when I was pre-8, we used to sit on the front porch and play “car poker”. Select a model and if it went by… you got a point!
There was a local sign painter named Lawton; know as Lawty. He had a 30 model a roadster and a propensity to imbibe. the local tavern required a passing by our house for him to go home.
Early evenings you could hear the distinctive sound of the A coming down the road from a good distance. “Here comes Lawty” was the shout! I always chose Ford in the poker game!

At his death (I was maybe 19) I was able to purchase that roadster disassembled. Never finished it but sold and acquired a running roadster. At the time didn’t have skills, tools, space nor funds to do it correctly…or even a amature. But that prompted me to learn skills. High school shop teacher had an 03 Knox and A. He taught me hammer welding and body working skills.
Been involved with A’s off and on (mostly on) for the last 50+ years.
This writing is likely a “run on”!! Old people do that!
Old 12-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #33
Brkile

I find just the opposite of what I read here. Most people could care less about my cars , 2 Model A's and a 1924 Model T (with original interior, never restored). They will walk right by my cars to admire a Mustang (a used car in my opinion). I guess one is attracted to cars of their youth and have no frame of reference for anything outside of that window. To each their own. No disrespect to you Mustang owners.
Brkile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #34
Oldbluoval

My grandfather has a used car lot for awhile. I remember as a kid he drove home an Austin bantam! Back then it was the equivalent of the Smart Car, Fiat, et al. We got a huge laugh back then. He was a tall, very thin man and amusing to see him in and out.
He consistently had 46-50 Ford’s
Old 12-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #35
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Actually, cars from the twenties are not popular and they are hard to sell. Carsfrom the thirties are much more salable. Although, they began in 1928, Ford, A s are the one exception. I recall one experience a friend had trying to sell a 1922 Studebaker. This car was in immaculate condition, all original! A Phaeton with the original leather seats, top with Ising glass curtains, Studebaker's large block engine that ran beautifully for it's 18,000 Miles. The car needed nothing! However, He had hell of a time selling it. After a while, he sold it out of frustration for $20,000. Why? Dunno! Everyone sincerely agreed the car was a beautiful survivor, but no one wanted to own it! Maybe it was just too primitive with it's vacuum fuel pump, Two wheel brakes, and canvas strap schocks.
Terry
I am sure you are correct on this, but also, cars underwent changes during the decade and what is a better example than the Ford Company. I always assumed Studebakers were an older person's car, reliable but not memorable in appearance. If you friend was trying to sell a La Salle Roadster from the late '20s, I suspect he could sell it easily.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #36
nkaminar

The real reason 30's cars are more popular.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 6.58.11 AM.jpg (22.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #37
eagle

The kids of today, at least in the metro areas, are being taught of the evils of ICE (internal combustion engine) cars and they truly believe that an ICE car IS evil. I grew up with grandpa's A sitting in his yard. I always admired it. It had an attraction that I really still can't pin down. I guess it "just did". When I was a kid I could ID nearly every old car I saw on the road, much more than I can now. I remember finding an AD in the paper for a 20's Hupmobile for sale. Talked my dad into taking me to see it. I spent many hours reading encyclopedias , looking up different old car brands and models. When I bought my Model T, no one had to teach me how to operate it. So as to the OP question? "Why are so many people fascinated by cars of the 20's?" Answer: No Idea! But I'm one of them. Actually my fascination runs from the very first early cars until the early 60's more or less.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #38
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
The kids of today, at least in the metro areas, are being taught of the evils of ICE (internal combustion engine) cars and they truly believe that an ICE car IS evil. I grew up with grandpa's A sitting in his yard. I always admired it. It had an attraction that I really still can't pin down. I guess it "just did". When I was a kid I could ID nearly every old car I saw on the road, much more than I can now. I remember finding an AD in the paper for a 20's Hupmobile for sale. Talked my dad into taking me to see it. I spent many hours reading encyclopedias , looking up different old car brands and models. When I bought my Model T, no one had to teach me how to operate it. So as to the OP question? "Why are so many people fascinated by cars of the 20's?" Answer: No Idea! But I'm one of them. Actually my fascination runs from the very first early cars until the early 60's more or less.

For me I like the simplicity of the machine, all mechanicals are visual and you can see and feel the function of each, kinda like playing with an erector set or tinker toys.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote