Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
Kube

Default Re: 1938 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I know of a car (coupe) in the Seattle area that the owner claims is a 40 and that "Henry Ford had all the left over 39 parts sent to California and assembled as 40s" Everything about the car is a 39 Ford. Ha the last thing Henry Ford would have done is ship the parts to California to be assembled, everything about him was "thrifty"! Why wouldn't he just assemble them where there parts were? Some pretty tall tales going on out there!
If I am not mistaken (Dave Rehor - where are you?) much of the "overage inventory" was shipped to the NJ assembly plant for the last of the production year cars to be assembled.

This seems to make sense when interpreting the production numbers per month / per plant. I'd noted that at least in '40 production, NJ was the last plant to build cars.

Other "overage" inventory was shipped all over the place for service part replacement stock.

C'mon Dave, you know better than me for certain. Tell me please - am I full of poopy? Part way full?
Old 07-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Kube" is right. "you can't fix stupid" I'll be a little more forgiving and say "Ignorance is Bliss".

Nope....Kube's wrong! You CAN fix "stupid", but your attorney fees are gonna end-up being prohibitively overwhelming. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #23
mercman from oz

Regarding using up surplus previous model parts, in Australia, it is not uncommon to see a 1940 Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedan with 1939 Ford Teardrop Tail Lights, as per this example. Not that these cars are plentiful, as under 2000 1940 Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedans were sold in Australia, but over the last 40 years, I can recall seeing quite a few that came from the Factory like this. This issue is definitely not a one-off regarding this model.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #24
oldfordman33

I have been driving fords since the early 50's and the way I remember the 38's was: 38 std. had the 37 body, and the 38 deluxe looked like the 39 std. Maybe at 83 my mind is playing tricks, but that is what I remember.
oldfordman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Thanks guys for the pictures and education here. I just learned a lot on easy identification between the 2 models. While very similar , I never knew how to identify between them. Can you tell me whether the fenders are the same between 38 deluxe and 39 standard? I have a pair of front fenders hanging in my barn marked 38 deluxe and have been wondering if they would fit a 39 standard also.

1938 Deluxe and 1939 Standard share the same front fenders, inner fenders are very close except for the brake line cutout.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordman33 View Post
I have been driving fords since the early 50's and the way I remember the 38's was: 38 std. had the 37 body, and the 38 deluxe looked like the 39 std. Maybe at 83 my mind is playing tricks, but that is what I remember.

1938 Coupes and convertibles shared the same body stampings as 1937. There were of course dash, side molding holes (1938 only), garnish molding, and other trim differences. You can bolt a 1937 coupe rear fender on a 1938 and visa-versa.

1938 Standard Sedan was very similar to the 1937 humpback sedan, HOWEVER the rear of the body was reworked with hidden trunk hinges (1938) rather than exposed (1937) and the rear fender opening was "tweaked" so the 1937 and 1938 fender DO NOT fit the other year car. The convertible sedan and phaeton also had the "tweaked" fender opening and used the same fender as the standard sedan, except the RH had provision for the taillight.

1938 Deluxe sedan featured a completely new rear body (that was carried through 1940)

The cowl stampings were the same 1937, 1938, and 1939 standard. 1937 and 1938 standard front fenders mounted into a recess on the cowl. When they restyled the fenders for the 1938 deluxe they just mounted the fender above the 1937 recess and added a cage nut in the middle of the stamping.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #27
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There was a guy (I think on the H.A.M.B, or maybe here) who had a Model "A" roadster on '32 rails. The guy insisted that it was original Ford and that the factory "used up" the remaining Model "A" bodies in early 1932. No matter what anybody said, he was not to be deterred.

"Kube" is right. "you can't fix stupid" I'll be a little more forgiving and say "Ignorance is Bliss".
Think this happens to all of us that have a similar looking model year car. Had a guy tell me my avatar is a '49 and I was wrong that it is a '50. He would not be convinced-good thing it doesn't matter............
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #28
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
Think this happens to all of us that have a similar looking model year car. Had a guy tell me my avatar is a '49 and I was wrong that it is a '50. He would not be convinced-good thing it doesn't matter............

I actually thought I was wrong once. As it turned out, I was mistaken.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #29
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
1938 Deluxe and 1939 Standard share the same front fenders, inner fenders are very close except for the brake line cutout.

Thanks for the clarification Karl
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote