Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
kehughes

Default Need help with identifying correct intake manifold for 85hp 1939 pickup

I need a manifold for my 39 pickup but not sure how to ID what I need. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
kehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
V12Bill

Default Re: Need help with identifying correct intake manifold for 85hp 1939 pickup

Manifold is cast iron with vacuum ports on drivers side for distributor and wiper motor. Carb mount is chevron shaped. May be other items also.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
scooder

Default Re: Need help with identifying correct intake manifold for 85hp 1939 pickup

I've seen factory pictures of a 39 pickup with aluminium (type generally thought to be circa 35-36 ish) manifold. Now this is a 97 type manifold with the exhaust heat hole open to the carburetor base, but 39 had, and does in this pic have a 94 bolted on, most likely with a just ready to burn our power valve!
But I'm sure the production ones had a cast iron manifold like the 37-38's, oddly these also have the open exhaust hole in the top?
I'd like to know about these kinda just before war and during. Late war and post war had a divorced carburetor base mount that the exhaust heat stoped about 1" below the carburetor base, which is obviously a lot better for the 94 type carburetors. Don't know when this divorced manifold started though, never been able to get a definite answer.
Hope you/we get the info.
Good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
ford38v8

Scooder, with regard to "factory" pictures, you must remember that many if not most were intended for public consumption in the promotion of Ford cars. As with some pictures appearing in Owners Manuals, pre-production conditions prevailed for such promo pictures, and staging for the camera was as common then as airbrush and photoshop is today.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
scooder

Alan, you could be on to sumit there.
I dug around and found the pic, it's in Mac Hills pickup book (page 80) 1939 pickup chassis part shot dated 9-20-38. It has hydraulic brakes, the carb and manifold are real clear (94 on an aluminum 97 type manifold) not sure the pic was ment for the public, due to the dust on the rails (they would have at least wiped it down) , empty cardboard Box Sat on the rail, mucky torn paper covering on the steering column. Just looks like someone took a pic of it sat at the factory.
I'd still like some confirmation on the correct manifold for Kehughs truck, and for me, when the manifolds were changed, with the carb mount divorced. As this apparent cross over of manifold/carburetor designs. As I said, the early type will burn out a power valve on a 94 type carb. Is not in some kind of judging standards?
Thanks, from me and the op, See if we can get this nailed down. As it seems the accepted correct for year manifold ain't a good match for the correct for year carburetor!
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
G.M.

The steel intake is better for your 39 in hot weather. It don't get as hot and the bottom of the mechanical pump is about 3/4" away from the manifold where the pump almost touches the aluminum intake. G.M.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

I have a cast iron intake that may work for your vehicle. If interested, pm me and I'll send some photos.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Manifold is cast iron with vacuum ports on drivers side for distributor and wiper motor. Carb mount is chevron shaped. May be other items also.
Keith, I have found the EV8's club 38-39 book will cover a lot of our questions, as V12 has stated chapter 4 covers all this with all the details. The mentioned Mac Hills pick-up book is a good resource as well.

That EV8 publication is for passenger cars but a lot covers trucks and commercial with more stuff than we sometimes need to know like.....

"The vacuum tap for the windshield wiper motor was enlarged in October 38 for a 1/4" tube", come on everyone knows that. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote